Offrande Zanzala - Accrington Permanent deal

rynny

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Do think a reason why clubs such as Southampton ended up with lots of academy players breaking through was their fall into League One. When you're permanently competing at the very top of the Championship with the prospect of 100s of millions of pounds just around the corner, you're unlikely to blood as many youngsters. 

We might have taken a punt on young Offrande if lower down, say where the gumps live. But instead we've had to bring seasoned professionals in. Given he didn't get to play for Stanley last year, because their manager believes it's an 11-a-side game and not 14-a-side, I am a little surprised he's gone back. But a League One team on the rise is a pretty good move. Look forward to following his progress. 

We've just signed a forward who's 23 and barely played at this level - I don't think it's now a case of not blooding youngsters

My thought is that the Southampton academy has been in progress for a lot longer than ours - I think you'd expect a decade to go by before you start seeing the rewards of a top academy - Turning promising 7 years olds into promising 17 year olds to try and make the first team?

Think Zanzala is one of the interim generation we have at the moment who have been attracted in by the burgeoning reputation of the academy but is still going to be hit/miss because not fully developed by us...

Just a thought anyway

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Do think a reason why clubs such as Southampton ended up with lots of academy players breaking through was their fall into League One. When you're permanently competing at the very top of the Championship with the prospect of 100s of millions of pounds just around the corner, you're unlikely to blood as many youngsters. 

We might have taken a punt on young Offrande if lower down, say where the gumps live. But instead we've had to bring seasoned professionals in. Given he didn't get to play for Stanley last year, because their manager believes it's an 11-a-side game and not 14-a-side, I am a little surprised he's gone back. But a League One team on the rise is a pretty good move. Look forward to following his progress. 

Southampton also don’t have to compete with anywhere near as many clubs for local talent.

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We've just signed a forward who's 23 and barely played at this level - I don't think it's now a case of not blooding youngsters

My thought is that the Southampton academy has been in progress for a lot longer than ours - I think you'd expect a decade to go by before you start seeing the rewards of a top academy - Turning promising 7 years olds into promising 17 year olds to try and make the first team?

Think Zanzala is one of the interim generation we have at the moment who have been attracted in by the burgeoning reputation of the academy but is still going to be hit/miss because not fully developed by us...

Just a thought anyway

He's been with us 9 years, nearly 10, how much more development could we have given him?

I hope we've got a chunky sell on fee or a buy back clause, with a fair crack he could be next season's Marriott.

21 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Blimey like Vernam I thought he was a decent prospect but injuries haven’t helped his progress . One of these days our academy will produce a decent player for us. 

Max Lowe starting tonight?

2 hours ago, thederbyram said:

Yep, and Bogle & Bennett may be on the bench. Luke Thomas a near-certainty to play a part in at least 15 matches. Sibley at 16 has a squad number and has impressed in pre-season.

Wouldnt say Luke Thomas is a product of our academy 

39 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Get what you're saying but he was brought in as a developmental player along with a few others (mcallister, vernam etc), would you not say we've developed him?

“He’s one we developed, he’s one we developed, Luke Thomas, he’s one we developed”

On 02/08/2018 at 07:30, cheron85 said:

Pretty sure he said Zanzala was better than Martin?

They both scored zero goals last year but Zanzala never got a game. Any striker is better than Martin. Let’s just hope that his lack of opportunities- shelved in favour of has been underperformers - isn’t repeated this season. So far looks like the lowes Bennetts and Thomases will be given chances. Zanzala was a different type of striker - a battering ram with a good touch who could finish  - not too sure he’d fit lampards preferences but should have been afforded an opportunity 

48 minutes ago, Ninos said:

They both scored zero goals last year but Zanzala never got a game. Any striker is better than Martin. Let’s just hope that his lack of opportunities- shelved in favour of has been underperformers - isn’t repeated this season. So far looks like the lowes Bennetts and Thomases will be given chances. Zanzala was a different type of striker - a battering ram with a good touch who could finish  - not too sure he’d fit lampards preferences but should have been afforded an opportunity 

You don't seem to have learnt anything during your absence - "any striker is better than Martin". What an utterly stupid statement.

On 04/08/2018 at 13:59, Wolfie20 said:

You don't seem to have learnt anything during your absence - "any striker is better than Martin". What an utterly stupid statement.

Don't know what you are talking about, personally I would have Ricky Van Wolfswinkel up front than Martin ? 

On 04/08/2018 at 13:09, Ninos said:

giphy.gif

Archived