What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If Johnson carries on playing the way he is he will take some dislodging....

Yep..... him, Evans and Bird are ahead for me.... I do think George’s time is up sadly.... I like how someone compares him to Miles Addison’s situation. 

I know there is a very real injury matter here but it's really amazing to see how some players become shadows of themselves overnight. Look at Berahino - he was a 1 in 4 striker and now has got 1 in 30 for Stoke (interesting stat that he has fathered more children this season than scored goals)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/731776/stoke-city-premier-league-saido-berahino-fathered-three-children

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Shamelessly bumping this thread because I am a hopeful fan of George

Can anyone comment on how he went in the Liverpool game ?

He played OK.. But still difficult to see him make play in the 1st time as we are playing for the moment... he is not near the MAC1 level... but he is trying

5 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Shamelessly bumping this thread because I am a hopeful fan of George

Can anyone comment on how he went in the Liverpool game ?

He looks a lot more mobile than he was last season and still has that technical quality and so much time on the ball. Not sure his passing was at its best yesterday but he and Butterfield certainly looked too good to be playing at that level. However, it’s the latter who impressed the most, again. 

MacDonald was very good too and Lawson lively if not very wasteful. I enjoy watching the 23s. First time I’ve ever really got into it, purely - initially - to see how George and Butters are getting on. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:56, Mafiabob said:

Yep..... him, Evans and Bird are ahead for me.... I do think George’s time is up sadly.... I like how someone compares him to Miles Addison’s situation. 

George is a much better player than Addison was.  Holme's was shoved in the first team too soon but probably found his natural level .  Barnes could have been a great player but was always billy big balls.  We  spent 18 month's getting him fit and he couldn't wait to go to Fulham on loan where he found his balls weren't as big as he thought.

Addison was a decent player but spent most of his time with us at centrehalf-  Clough effectively destroyed his derby career by playing him for 97 minutes away at Newcastle, after four months out with a broken foot and no build up time just to prove a point about lack of squad options. .  Que return of fracture and another 12 months in and out of recovery .

Bird has only one first team appearance. Johnson is better out wide than in centre mid.  Evans skills from what I saw at reading - only about 5 or 6 games -are not as good as Thorne's in that defensive midfielder role as he has a tendency to move forward too much and his passing isn't as good.   I do feel people focus to much on George's  13/14 season.  He had a very good 15/16 season prior to his broken leg . As I remember people were up in arm's about losing our most productive midfielder in a meaningless game prior to the playoffs.  If we had George for those playoffs we would have had too much for Hull and a very good chance against Sheff Wednesday .  He could still be a very good player for us in a team that likes to get forward and gives him room to pass.

Wont get anywhere if he continues to slag the gaffer off whilst having his hair cut eh.

As I keep mentioning, its not all about ability. Its about attitude and work rate that complement the ability.

Best thing that can happen to George is that he is loaned out in January to a champ / league 1 team to have a fresh start and run of games. Needs to get away from Derby and prove himself and who knows come next season. Personally don't think we will see him play another first team game though. Far far too behind in the pecking order.

49 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Wont get anywhere if he continues to slag the gaffer off whilst having his hair cut eh.

As I keep mentioning, its not all about ability. Its about attitude and work rate that complement the ability.

Best thing that can happen to George is that he is loaned out in January to a champ / league 1 team to have a fresh start and run of games. Needs to get away from Derby and prove himself and who knows come next season. Personally don't think we will see him play another first team game though. Far far too behind in the pecking order.

Do tell more. Not heard about this. 

2 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Do tell more. Not heard about this. 

I can’t help regards this story, but I’ve been told by people who know their stuff that both Thorne and Butterfield will never play for us again. The latter would be a Hull player but for late paperwork on deadline day. 

I think it’s a shame as I rate both more than I do others who are first team regulars. But it’s Frank’s job to lose as they say. And whilst we aren’t exactly flying, we look in good shape and the football is a big improvement on last year. 

Let’s hope both George and Jacob keep performing and get moves in January. They certainly look motivated in these games. Can’t question their effort, or talent. I think Lampard just doesn’t fancy them. End of story.

15 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I’ve been told by people who know their stuff that both Thorne and Butterfield will never play for us again.

That is sad to hear - I think you should never completely close the door on anyone.

Unless it is a salesman or religious door knocker

Archived