What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

U23 are like friendlies and we all know that doesn't translate to league games, and you were talking about when he came back last season

I wasn’t. 

I was talking coming back pre season which I thought was quoted 

He looked trim against Blackburn as did CM and Butterfield also played  12 August 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-george-thorne-chris-martin-1894098

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Newleaf said:

I wasn’t. 

I was talking coming back pre season which I thought was quoted 

He looked trim against Blackburn as did CM and Butterfield also played 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-george-thorne-chris-martin-1894098

yep I was really impressed with him, Martin and Anya in the U23s so far.  Still not convinced there is enough evidence to prove a start in the first 11.  Frank sees him everyday of course not just the U23 matches.  Getting the old GT back would be great and would be a key part of a promotion push however........

4 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

I watched GT in the U23 game last night, he wasn't a stand-out player from what I saw. Lost the ball a few times, got caught in possession, didn't quite make the long passes. He's still some way from being the old George unfortunately (IMHO).

Be careful what you say on here. I said a similar thing the last time I saw him play for the U23's and got vilified. Unfortunately there are those who will not accept that sometimes someone never loses form for what ever reason.

I don't know what the answer is for GT but time he has had, if he needs more time then he needs to show he has not lost it for what ever reason.

Sad but unless something happens soon, I feel he will be moving on (maybe for his own good)

You can only make slinky short passes and fantastic long passes into an attackers feet if the other players make room and find space for him to hit these balls to.

Its not always cut and dried that a players not back to his best.

Having no passes to play can result in losing the ball if your first instinct isn’t just to belt it up field.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

This is such a cliche 

No, it's what I witnessed with my own eyes. He was overweight & slow when he came back last season & I posted on here at the time that I was annoyed that he/the club let him get so unfit whilst he was out.

I haven't seen him play yet this season and of course I really hope he's progressing and will burst back into the first team

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

No, it's what I witnessed with my own eyes. He was overweight & slow when he came back last season & I posted on here at the time that I was annoyed that he/the club let him get so unfit whilst he was out.

I haven't seen him play yet this season and of course I really hope he's progressing and will burst back into the first team

Was he unfit? Or was his lack of energy exposed by being the midfielder of the pair who was asked to do doggies rather than sitting and spraying? 

3 hours ago, Ramitupper said:

I watched GT in the U23 game last night, he wasn't a stand-out player from what I saw. Lost the ball a few times, got caught in possession, didn't quite make the long passes. He's still some way from being the old George unfortunately (IMHO).

I've watched a few of the u23 games on tv and I thought that last night's game was George's best game to date. Yes, he's not quite there yet but when he lost the ball, he quickly reacted and got back at the player which showed there was some pace coming back to his game. A few long passes didn't quite come off but a couple of delightful passes did work which were vintage George. 

For the first time in a long time, I saw glimpses of the old George last night and hopefully regular games with the u23's will see him back in the first team squad in the next month or so. 

11 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I've watched a few of the u23 games on tv and I thought that last night's game was George's best game to date. Yes, he's not quite there yet but when he lost the ball, he quickly reacted and got back at the player which showed there was some pace coming back to his game. A few long passes didn't quite come off but a couple of delightful passes did work which were vintage George. 

For the first time in a long time, I saw glimpses of the old George last night and hopefully regular games with the u23's will see him back in the first team squad in the next month or so. 

But you have to ask, 'Is this the game we are playing these days?'

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Let's hope so....he's vital in my opinion in bringing this lampard team on.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Let's hope so....he's vital in my opinion in bringing this lampard team on.

I certainly hope not, given the number of appearances made over the last 3 seasons.

I'd like to think he could become an important part of the team again but if he's vital to it I would be worried.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

Totally agree, he looked sharper last night and saw him do a few sprints aswell to get back. 

Hopefully the sharpness will be back after a few more games

5 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

But you have to ask, 'Is this the game we are playing these days?'

Well yes obviously. You can't just have exclusively tippy tappy short little passes. You have to play a mixture of long and short balls otherwise it becomes too predictable. Thorne has only ever played for us when we play expansive attacking football and would fit perfectly into Lampards team (if back to his best).

Miles Addison sprang to mind this week and then this thread too

That game Addison had against Man U was epic and this is what happened

YearsTeamApps(Gls)

2006–2012Derby County65(3)

2011–2012→ Barnsley (loan)11(0)

2012→ Bournemouth (loan)14(1)

2012–2015Bournemouth20(0)

2014→ Rotherham United (loan)6(0)

2014→ Scunthorpe United (loan)3(0)

2015→ Blackpool (loan)6(0)

2015–2016Peterborough United3(1)

2016–2017Kilmarnock17(0)

2018–Nuneaton Borough4(0)

National team‡

2009England U211(0

Obviously talented, but not so you would know it from that career.

Others who spring to mind - Lewin Nyatanga, Lee Holmes (still only 31!!),Giles Barnes,

Unfortunately despite being a massive George Thorne fan I fear the above examples could prove to be more in the mould of what we can expect ?

On 08/09/2018 at 21:14, angieram said:

Just a comment on Thorne paying more attention to his phone than to the game when watching Derby, why is this different than all the fans who do the same? 

And has anyone seen Mourhino and Karanka tonight at Wembley? 

the fans ain't getting paid copious amounts of dosh to watch

Archived