v Wolves (H) Match Thread

rynny

56 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Oddly enough, there was an all too brief program about Cruyff in his heyday on TV a couple of nights ago. Rather grainy but the skill of not just Cruff, but the whole Dutch team was breathtaking. Total football indeed.

P.S. That turn of Lowe, fabulous.

it was a good turn - lets keep the feet on the floor - but shoot for the stars!!! - 3 points nailed Friday

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Rampage said:

Serious question - 

Did we play classic 433 yesterday? 

I think that we did not and will not. 

This only reminds me of extremely fluid interplay which on first glance is 433 but is too clever for that to be marked as such. In reality we have the beginnings of total football a la Lampard. Goals from all over the pitch. 

Isn't that the mark of a great 4-3-3 though? When we played it under McLaren at times it was 4-1-4-1 then went to 4-1-2-3 and occasionally 3-2-2-3 when we were really hammering it

Would imagine it's the usual thing - If both fullback are getting forward in the same attack the DM drops deeper - Generally you only send one full-back up at a time (ie, they both pay attention to their counter-part on the other side) - And if you have a number 9 like Nugent who likes to run the channels then your CMs push up further and your 'wingers' drop inside

I liked the fact the when Mount got the goal on Saturday Bryson was stood right behind him also in a perfect position to receive the ball - That's the Bryson I remember so fondly - Right at the heart of the action 

40 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Isn't that the mark of a great 4-3-3 though? When we played it under McLaren at times it was 4-1-4-1 then went to 4-1-2-3 and occasionally 3-2-2-3 when we were really hammering it

Would imagine it's the usual thing - If both fullback are getting forward in the same attack the DM drops deeper - Generally you only send one full-back up at a time (ie, they both pay attention to their counter-part on the other side) - And if you have a number 9 like Nugent who likes to run the channels then your CMs push up further and your 'wingers' drop inside

I liked the fact the when Mount got the goal on Saturday Bryson was stood right behind him also in a perfect position to receive the ball - That's the Bryson I remember so fondly - Right at the heart of the action 

My Chelsea supporting mate always says that's how Jose used to organise the team in his first spell....single striker up top and then Frank plus other midfielders making runs into the box. That was where he got his heavy goals tallies in a season from. It was notable that when Chelsea one season deployed an extra striker (possibly when Abramovich signed Shevchenko to pair him with Drogba) that Frank was much less effective in terms of making runs as his way was often blocked by the extra body in the box.

So I wonder if we might actually have the bodies for 2 systems - anchored around either 1 or 2 up top. The former needing the more dynamic midfielders (Bryson, Mount) and the other might be where we see Vydra as one of the 2 and a less fluid midfield.

But what a dilemma to have compared to last season where it seemed most of our debate seemed to be who would we put into the midfield 2 to plod around with Hudds! ?

Personally the 4-3-3 will always be my favourite system even if it is season as somewhat old fashioned. It's the system that has seen Chelsea play its best football under Mourinho and at times under Ancelotti - there's just something thrilling about having a powerhouse midfield with the characteristics of players like Lampard, Ballack, Essien. I haven't really followed Derby closely until Lamps was appointed so  I've had to go purely by what you guys on the forum say about the mids. It's actually really surprising that Frank's lineup is pretty much a mirror of what the fan's expected. Usually you'd see a lot of divisive opinions about players/roles but people seem unanimously in accord with the mid 3 of Ledley, Bryson and Mount. Going by the games so far, I'd have to say the team looks really suited to this system. However if I was nitpicking, I'd say the backline looks slightly disorganised. I love the look of Lowe on the left but he needs help from the midfield when he's bombing forward and I can see us getting hurt on the break in the current setup. It's nice that we have people willing to run around a lot though but I'd still like to see a bit more organisation at the back to deal with any kind of situation. I'm positive though that Frank and Jody will be no doubt working on all this and they've only been with the squad for a month and most of these forwards have been here for a week or so. Physically and mentally, the squad looks up for the challenge though and I think getting off to a quick start would do wonders.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

You might want to get yourself checked out for early signs of dementia.

Bryson wasn't on the pitch when Mount scored! It was Wilson following in.

I now have this thought in my head that you watched the entire match thinking Wilson was Bryson.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Whoops - I just saw someone small and nippy and assumed it was Bryson - That'll teach me for watching it on twitter when drunk

Bryson would have been there though... Probably...

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I now have this thought in my head that you watched the entire match thinking Wilson was Bryson.

I certainly thought that for a lot of the game v Southampton! My eyesight isn’t what it was and I think they run in a similar way. I’ll do better when they’ve got their names on their shirts - well, I hope so anyway!

Archived