One from four?

StarterForTen

Assuming Vydra is sold and we do bring Waghorn in, you can only really make a case for keeping one of the four 'front line' strikers FL has inherited in the Derby squad - but which one to keep?

Chris Martin (unsubstantiated health rumours aside), David Nugent, Nick Blackman or Cameron Jerome?

For me, my heart says keep Martin, my head says keep CamRam.

Of course, it might just be whoever is hardest to get rid of!

(By the way, I've not included Mason Bennett as I think he isn't 'front line', though I reckon he may be this year)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Assuming Vydra is sold and we do bring Waghorn in, you can only really make a case for keeping one of the four 'front line' strikers FL has inherited in the Derby squad - but which one to keep?

Chris Martin (unsubstantiated health rumours aside), David Nugent, Nick Blackman or Cameron Jerome?

For me, my heart says keep Martin, my head says keep CamRam.

Of course, it might just be whoever is hardest to get rid of!

(By the way, I've not included Mason Bennett as I think he isn't 'front line', though I reckon he may be this year)

If fit Martin, I still think with Bryson in the side he has something to offer....

If Frank wants work rate, and hard pressing from the front then it's either Jerome or Nugent, I'd say Jerome just edges it due to his aerial ability.  As gutted as I'd be to see Martin go, it looks like his time with us has run it's course.  As for Blackman ?????

I'd keep Jerome, I think he has a lot more to offer than Martin, Nugent and Blackman and from what we saw at the back end of last season, he's still hungry to score goals.

He looks incredibly fit and fast and is a nightmare defenders, especially in the last 20 minutes when defenders are getting leggy.

Nugent, only because he seems like a character you would like around the the dressing room. Chances are they are unlikely to play much, at his age, more likely to accept that kind of role than the other 3 and possibly be a better fit for Lampard if we do need him to come in.

Martin and Jerome could be first choice elsewhere, starting week in week out, Blackman also. 

So if I have to pick one from the 4 to keep, Nugent. Makes the most sense.  

1 minute ago, David said:

Nugent, only because he seems like a character you would like around the the dressing room. Chances are they are unlikely to play much, at his age, more likely to accept that kind of role than the other 3 and possibly be a better fit for Lampard if we do need him to come in.

Martin and Jerome could be first choice elsewhere, starting week in week out, Blackman also. 

So if I have to pick one from the 4 to keep, Nugent. Makes the most sense.  

I think your spot on here. If the remaining forwards are going to be firmly behind Mariott and Waghorn (if he comes) then they need to be ok with limited game time and probably not making the bench that often. Nugent will probably be the most ok with this kind of role and gives you value off the pitch. 

I suspect it might be a case of them all being in the shop window and us going with whoever is left as third choice. It might be even we decided that Bennett is an adequate third choice/competition for all of the front three spots.

Just now, brady1993 said:

I think your spot on here. If the remaining forwards are going to be firmly behind Mariott and Waghorn (if he comes) then they need to be ok with limited game time and probably not making the bench that often. Nugent will probably be the most ok with this kind of role and gives you value off the pitch. 

I suspect it might be a case of them all being in the shop window and us going with whoever is left as third choice. It might be even we decided that Bennett is an adequate third choice/competition for all of the front three spots.

Bennett has thrown his hat in the ring for 3rd choice in pre season if Waghorn is to come in, so we could actually be looking at a potential 4th choice when all fit with the names above listed. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Bennett has thrown his hat in the ring for 3rd choice in pre season if Waghorn is to come in, so we could actually be looking at a potential 4th choice when all fit with the names above listed. 

I think at the point they are 4th choice they are firmly surplus to requirements and should be looked to offloaded. It'd take a truly unlucky streak of injuries for it to become a problem (he says having a mild twitch remembering 14/15).

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

It is a difficult one. However neither Waghorn nor Marriott are tall. I would therefore keep Jerome who still offers pace and power.

neither Saunders or Goddard were tall ,if your good enough that's all that matters

Without going too much into details.

Keep Martin- let him regain fitness properly and prove his worth. If doesn’t fit plans or we think there’s better move on at that point.

Jerome-gone very quiet, I’d be tempted to keep but if we got a similar offer to what we paid for him...

Nugent-Like him but personally I’d look to move on.

Dont think we really need Waghorn at this point so I’d go with Marriott (the project), Martin (the one with the challenge) and Jerome (experienced head who offers a different and more direct approach)

Thatd do me

Let’s keep Blackman, great turn of pace, and could surprise people this year.... hmm maybe not. 

If Waghorn comes in and vyds leaves I’d be keeping either Martin or Jerome - they both add another dimension to our game, if plan A doesn’t work we have to chase a game into the last 10 mins you have a target in the box. 

For me it's Nuge - good influence, hard working and fits the system better than the other options.

Love Martin but hes never made much impact as a sub and he often takes so much time to get up to speed.

Jerome is less important as an option now we have Marriott's pace.

Blackman doesn't look like he gives a flick.

Archived