Mourinho

Hathersage Ram

Is it me or do fellow members think Mourinho is a shadow of the manager he once was?

He is constantly moaning about everything, criticising other managers, heaping pressure onto fellow managers, pointing out how much their clubs have invested.

He gets tetchy at press conferences, refuses to answer perfectly legitimate questions, his appalling condemnations of Wenger over the years etc.

Where has his joy and love of the game gone?

Hi just seems a desperately depressing man, with no clear objectives.

I am amazed the hierarchy at Manchester have not actually bitten the bullet and sacked him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a combination of two things. Yes, he didn't used to be quite such a miserable git. Mainly though it's because the media have thankfully abandoned the sycophantic relationship they indulged him with in his first spell at Chelsea. Mourinho has always been rude and abrasive, but he was allowed to get away with it whereas others who threw similar tantrums (Benitez for instance) were roundly ridiculed.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's a combination of two things. Yes, he didn't used to be quite such a miserable git. Mainly though it's because the media have thankfully abandoned the sycophantic relationship they indulged him with in his first spell at Chelsea. Mourinho has always been rude and abrasive, but he was allowed to get away with it whereas others who threw similar tantrums (Benitez for instance) were roundly ridiculed.

I am not sure this is the case to be honest, his vision of how to mould a team, get players onboard, signings, motivational character, they all seem to be missing. I honestly feel we may all falling victim to "The Emperor's New Clothes" fallacy, as in we all remember him for what he was, and this new incarnation. Just my thoughts though.

He's a winner, not happy when he isn't winning. I would imagine he probably wants United to help him out with a few more players as he knows it will be difficult next year, frustration coming through.

53 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Would you be happy if you had the choice of Smalling, Jones and Rocco at centre half???

Well he signed Bailley and Lindelof, also had 4 transfer windows previous to this one to get rid 

Expect a transfer request to be going in tomorrow morning. They would be mad not to take it and avoid another Mahrez situation. His stock is high, poor season this year and the chance could be gone. This is United, got to jump when they call.

Wonder if Vardy regrets not taking the Arsenal chance. 

Is it that Mourihno's style of overly defensive football has had its day? 

Fans tend to put up with crap football if it's getting results but if other managers have got it sussed then you're just left with crap football.

As we well know. 

Mourinho likes to play the villain. He wants a siege mentality. Everyone against him and his team. 

Unfortunately for him, he’s not getting the backing because he’s in charge of one of the biggest clubs in the world with demanding supporters. Like a Madrid or Barca, United are a powerhouse and they shouldn’t be taking on the ‘inferior’ mentality Mourinho craves.

He must know deep down the likes of Pogba, Alexis and Rashford probably hate playing for him. He must know fans of his own club hate his style of play.

As he can’t get everyone on board to his mentality, I’m not surprised he’a miserable all the time.

The guy’s a serial winner and right now he isn’t winning. His flame is burning out.

United should ditch him and get Pochettino.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Basically the pressure of the Premier League has turned him into a grade A **** ***, just as it does to all of the managers of the big clubs.

Star man?

I didn't even know he liked Bowie.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Basically the pressure of the Premier League has turned him into a grade A **** ***, just as it does to all of the managers of the big clubs.

He has always been like that really.  When his team loses it's everybody's fault but his. 

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

He has always been like that really.  When his team loses it's everybody's fault but his. 

Used to have some charm with it though. Kind of fun. 

Now he's got no humour 

Just now, Alpha said:

Used to have some charm with it though. Kind of fun. 

Now he's got no humour 

The charm and humour only appears when he is winning and everyone is in agreement about how 'special' he is.  When he is been shown up by other teams and managers he turns nasty....always has. 

It's also quite remarkable looking back just how important those little moments were. That slice of luck that ultimately changed and defined an entire career and the perception everyone has of him.

He became known as the 'Special One' due to that Champions League title.

Sure the Europa League and domestic titles were good, but there have been other Europa League winners in the past which managers have won and you would have to look at wiki to find out who...

I mean Feyenoord won it the year before Porto did. And since then the likes of Zenit, Shakthar and CSKA Moscow have won it. Who were their managers? Were they deemed special? Nope. Aso worth noting teams like Boro, Celtic, Rangers, Braga and Fulham have made finals too.

But going back to the point. Mourinho was deemed 'special' because Porto won the CL. And during that CL run, they beat a Man Utd team who wrongly had a goal disallowed for offside while Porto's fluked a last-minute goal which sent them through.

I wonder if Chelsea would have even bothered with Mourinho if they had lost that Man Utd tie. Or I wonder if he would have had the same career had that United goal rightly stood. 

Butterfly effect. But that one game seemingly had such a monumental impact on his career. That one (well two if you count the disallowed goal and the last-minute equaliser) lucky break defined a decade of football.

On 27/07/2018 at 04:34, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Sixty Five Million Pounds

I like Harry Maguire. A big horrible bar steward who shoves and kicks clumps out of ballet dancers masquerading as football players.

Archived