Replica Kits - The rules!

drgoodspeak

The chat on the Marriott thread about getting a name on the back of your football shirt got me thinking about the “rules” in terms of replica strips.

I think everyone has their own views on when (and how much of) you would wear a replica kit, so I thought it would be interesting to try and find out.

Consider these questions:

As an adult….

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt?

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it?

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt?

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro?

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt?

6.      If yes to 3. what and where?

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip?

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt?

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt?

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only fair to start with my answers:

1.      Yes

2.      Only to play football and since I don’t do that anymore, I don’t bother buying them.

3.      No

4.      If I did still buy them, it would be current. Although I did once go through a phase of wearing retro shirts for exercise classes.

5.      No, never.

6.      N/A

7.      10

8.      No

9.      Yes, and did. Number 9, Marshall.

10.   No, but I do get it on my DCFC pyjamas.

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt? Yes

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? On a football pitch, to a game.  Never socially

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? No

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? Retro Puma 95/96 Home

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? No

6.      If yes to 3. what and where? N/A

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? 12/13

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? yes

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? Up to the age of 18 yes

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? N/A

4 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

As an adult….

Yes. 

Matchdays and when jogging.

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt?

No.

Whichever is the coolest. ?

No.

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip?

Ten.

No. Although Jozefzoon is tempting.

Never.

Maybe.

1.     Would you wear a replica shirt? yes I do

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? at the match

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? nope

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? retro

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? nope

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? 12!! unless you are an extremely attractive 35 year old lady with a great figure

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? nope

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? nope

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? nope

and I love Derby  - yellow - We want this as a Retro!!!

1. Yes

2. I wear football shirts all the time in summer, currently cycling through England away, England home, Peru home, and derby home (from a couple of seasons ago). I think they’re light and breathable in this weather, with a decent fit, and white looks good on me and goes with everything. They are my t-shirt of choice. But I’m aware not to wear them when I appropriate. Ie there needed to be a suitable mourning period before wearing my England shirts again.

3. I might just get one shirt every year or so. Usually my wifely buy it as a birsthday present. Usually home, cos I prefer white. Depends how good the away is.

4. I wear whatever shirt is most current in my drawer. I’ve got an old buy mobiles one that I don’t wear. I fancy getting the old puma shirt from the jim smith promotion season. I’d wear that.

5. No, full kit banker.

6. N/a

7. Undecided, 10 sounds about right, I’ll go with that. Ie I would not shout ‘full kit banker’ at anyone under 10. But I would still think it. And I would definitely shout it full in the face of any 11 year olds wearing the full kit.

8. No, price but also I love too many players equally. I can’t decide.

9. No, a bit egotistical. And I’m worried people would say ‘who the duck is that? Never heard of him).

10. No, grow up.

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? On a football pitch, to a game.  Never socially

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? No

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? Retro Puma 95/96 Home

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? No

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? 12/13

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? yes

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? Up to the age of 18 yes

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? N/A

You get a like for the 95/96 shirt. But it should be the yellow away one. Best kit ever!! I bought a kids one for my wife, she looks great in it. 

9 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? Anywhere except weddings,funerals,job interviews etc..

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? Usually just home, i've not liked any for a while enough to buy

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? i really want the umbro 70s retro one, apparently were saving up for a holiday though!!

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? yes

6.      If yes to 3. what and where? i have a training shirt and coat i wear for sunday league

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? 10

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? no

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? absoultley not

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season?   14

Yes

Football match, playing sport

Not usually, tend to be gifted one of my choice as my birthday is near the start of the season

Wear whatever's clean in my collection. 

Nope

N/A

Nope

Tend to put my nickname on - Miguel

Nope, 13, as my birthday.

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You get a like for the 95/96 shirt. But it should be the yellow away one. Best kit ever!! I bought a kids one for my wife, she looks great in it. 

It was found for me in a charity shop in Swadlincote.  In mint condition with none of the greying on the badge you got when you over-washed it.  Cost me £7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pic of your wife then??

16 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

The chat on the Marriott thread about getting a name on the back of your football shirt got me thinking about the “rules” in terms of replica strips.

I think everyone has their own views on when (and how much of) you would wear a replica kit, so I thought it would be interesting to try and find out.

As an adult….

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt? Yes and do

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? Anywhere except from funerals

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? depends on which one is nicer and the price.(training shirts look good)

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? Both!

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? Nope, Shirt all the way

6.      If yes to 3. what and where? Anywhere

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? 10 unless you are a professional look alike 

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? Only if they are a legend but even then who's to say they wont do an Adam Johnson

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? Have done in the past. Probably wont again

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? 18

23 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

Yes

Anywhere is acceptable, expect maybe your wedding. I only really wear mine to games or down the pub when one is on.

If I like them, yes. If I'm a bit on the fence on one I'll pick it up in the end of season sale. I got last seasons High Viz away just wear out on the bike at night. No system for which I wear, just whatever I fancy on the day.

Usually current or previous season, no older. 

As in a full kit w....no. No.

What and where what? Don't understand the question.

Each to their own, if you're 80 and want to rock the shorts and socks or a flowery maxi dress go for it, I might chuckle to myself if I saw Boycie wear one, but it's not for me as I said in 5.

I've had it done twice, Wanchope 9 and Bailey 16 I think it was, when I had Bailey it was a free printing offer, thought why not. At the time we wasn't exactly blessed with the players we have today. Had high hopes for the lad that ended up in Yeovil via India. Shows what I know.

This year I will be getting Mount. Supposed to go far this lad, if this season turns out as well as I hope, could be a nice little memento if he goes all the way.

Only if a player signed that had the same surname and wasn't a clogger, be rude not to I guess, but it's never happened as yet.

Erm, no. 

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt? YES

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? ANYWHERE REALLY, BUT I MAINLY WEAR MINE ON MATCH DAYS. I MUST CONFESS THOUGH, I'VE WORN IT A COUPLE TIMES OUT AND ABOUT THIS SUMMER WHEN POTTERING ABOUT DOWN THE SHOPS ON A WEEKEND

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? I'VE BOUGHT THIS YEARS HOME. IT'S THE FIRST NEW ONE I'VE BOUGHT IN A FEW YEARS

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? WHICHEVER IS WASHED AND PUT AWAY BY THE WIFE!

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? NO! THOUGH I'VE BOUGHT THE SHORTS AT THE END OF SEASON SALE IN THE PAST TO DOSS AROUND THE HOUSE IN OR WEAR TO FOOTBALL TRAINING

6.      If yes to 3. what and where? N/A

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? IF YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO VOTE, DRINK, SMOKE ETC, YOU'RE TOO OLD

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? LAST ONE I HAD WAS STIMAC. AS AN ADULT, THIS IS A BIT SILLY

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? IN MY 30S, NO CHANCE, BUT WHEN I WAS IN MY 20S AND MORE ENTHUSIASTIC AND ENERGETIC, I DID DO. PRETTY SAD

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? ANYONE WHO DOES THIS SHOULD BE ASHAMED... UNLESS THEY'RE 16 AND SPENDING THEIR BIRTHDAY MONEY ON IT, IN WHICH CASE THEY'LL THINK IT'S HILARIOUS 

1 hour ago, drgoodspeak said:

As an adult….

1. No

2. Playing 5 a side

3. No

4. No

5. No.

6. N/A

7. 10

8. No

9. No

10. No

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt? Yes.

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? Living in Aus, I like to wear it to sporting events I go to, cricket, basketball, AFL. Generally because its a good talking point and great to educate people on the Super Rams, or for a catch up on DCFC with fellow Rams fans. Met some good people wearing a Derby shirt and having a chat with them. Nice to reminisce about Derby/UK etc with ex pats.

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? No. I buy/am bought the shirt i prefer. Like the Black 3rd shirt last year and will probably get the away this year.

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? Both. Have the old Umbra Auto Windscreens white shirt from about 92 and a couple of recent shirts. 

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? Yep. Have some of the Umbra training gear for the gym and a hoody for walking the dog. 

6.      If yes to 3. what and where? As point 2. 

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? Primary school kids. Must be with shin pads though. 

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? No. Occasionally put the number 6 on a shirt though, favourite number from the Stimac days.

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? Not me personally. But I have a 30th birthday shirt with my name and the year of birth on it. Its framed though so I don't wear it. 

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? I don't like Chinese food. 

2 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt? Yes.

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it? At the match and when playing football.

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt? Not every year, but I own some of each.

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? Depends how I'm feeling and which one is cleanest.

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? I do have a pair of shorts that I wear for football.

6.      If yes to 3. what and where?  I wear whichever shirt smells the least. I try not to wear an away shirt if it is the same colour as our oppositions' shirt. I always wear white against Forest.

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? About 11/12.

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? No.

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt? No.

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? No.

I'm not copying and pasting that lot, trying to have a nice pint down the pub...

But in essence;

Yes,I wear replica shirts and I'll be buying this season's with Martin and number 9 on the back in honour of the wardrobe whether he plays or not this year.

Full strips are a bit odd and your own name on it,once past six years old,is just weird.

Retro shirts are great,if you have a decent one......I suspect that last year's rowett shirt won't be a classic,in fact I've already set fire to mine(twice)

2 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

As an adult….

1.      Would you wear a replica shirt?  - Yes

2.      Where is acceptable to wear it?  Where ever I want

3.      Do you buy a home and away shirt? If yes, what is your system for when and where you wear each shirt?- No, wife or daughter usually buy me a shirt.

4.      Do you wear the current shirt, or go retro? - Both

5.      Would you wear more of the kit than the shirt? - No, but I've got some of last years training shorts for dossing in.

7.      What’s the cut-off age for it to be acceptable for a fan to wear the full strip? - No cut off, let individuals do what they want.

8.      Would you get a player’s name on the shirt? - No

9.      Would you put your own name on the shirt?- No

10.   Do you get the 69 number on your shirt every season? - No, it's got to be 8 forest.

Archived