George Evans - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

From a mate of mine who supports Reading:

He's a weird one. Is an okay passer but plays too safely at times. He's an okay defender and can play in the middle of a back 3, but he's not very athletic. He's not amazing but of their 3 defensive midfielders over the past 2 seasons he was the best despite his young age.

Solid player overall but nothing special. ?

Ledley but younger?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a reasonable target to me. It's such a low fee and he's still young so will likely bring in a profit if he's sold in the future. I doubt he's on high wages at all. He's versatile and surely an upgrade on Hanson. Jody and Frank quite often used a formation with 3 at the back for Chelsea's u23s, so signing Evans gives them that option here.

The downside is that we're already overloaded in midfield and it doesn't sound like there's anyone rushing to take some of them off our hands.

5 hours ago, Rample said:

Thorne, like Martin, will be off if Mac wants him. I can't see us getting much more than £3m for the pair.

Ultimately I think we all had dreams of Martin hitting 20+ in our promotion season with George picking up player of the season before becoming one of the premier leagues best midfielders alongside Hughes. Things have been quite an anticlimax since, and whilst they may still do it elsewhere the ship has sailed with regards to them doing it here, and we need to have new dreams with new heroes. I for one am putting faith in Tom Lawrence et al tearing this division up over the next 9 months in a way none of these ever quite managed.

The fact we stil have Ledley and Hudds, plus if necessary any of Johnson, Mount, Bryson or Butterfield without mentioning youngsters, I wouldn't suggest we would be looking to add another one to replace him, unless it's part of a plan to bring the ages down or because Frankie knows something we don't.

Now that’s a novel concept for the forum!?

Assuming we shift a couple of midfielders out I think there is a lot to be said for this. 

Great pedigree playing at every level for City from the age of 8 up. Mancini had him on the bench in the Champions League. Done well in all his loan spells and played 33 games in the Reading side that got beaten in the play off final. Lost his way a bit last season. 

Scored a few cracking goals best being for City against Toronto I think in a pre season friendly. Seems calm, mobile, decent on the ball. A season under Frank and Jody and at the very least you'd expect to make a couple of million on him.

A yes from me subject to moving others on. 

Again people have to realise that energy and fitness are crucial to this system. It may not be possible to play the intensity saturday/Tuesday without additional bodies and some more youthful exuberance. 

For all the excitement about Bryson His fitness record the last two years is patchy. Thorne needs to go. Ledley and Huddlestone are one for the same role. Mount will be playing his first season in the Champ and may feel the pace. Then who else is there? 

6 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Assuming we shift a couple of midfielders out I think there is a lot to be said for this. 

Great pedigree playing at every level for City from the age of 8 up. Mancini had him on the bench in the Champions League. Done well in all his loan spells and played 33 games in the Reading side that got beaten in the play off final. Lost his way a bit last season. 

Scored a few cracking goals best being for City against Toronto I think in a pre season friendly. Seems calm, mobile, decent on the ball. A season under Frank and Jody and at the very least you'd expect to make a couple of million on him.

A yes from me subject to moving others on. 

Again people have to realise that energy and fitness are crucial to this system. It may not be possible to play the intensity saturday/Tuesday without additional bodies and some more youthful exuberance. 

For all the excitement about Bryson His fitness record the last two years is patchy. Thorne needs to go. Ledley and Huddlestone are one for the same role. Mount will be playing his first season in the Champ and may feel the pace. Then who else is there? 

I'm presuming rhetorical, but as things stand Johnson, Hanson, Butterfield, Elsnik and Bird are on the payroll and in the mix. 

I wonder whether this means we're swapping one George for another? Desperately disappointing for George T and many Rams fans if that's the case. What with the injuries and sheer bad luck the lad seems cursed. I'd have dearly loved to have seen him return this year in the kind of form that he showed in his first season at the club, but with every passing week that scenario seems less and less likely. Such a shame as when fit and in form, the lad's an absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. I'll keep my fingers crossed in any case.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he's one of the 'old guard' how can he be any good? PS there's one or two others still hanging about too...

Clough find.

Knew what he was doing, that newsagent.

I fail to see how we need him. Clearly we have too many midfielders. Way too many. 

As for centre half, those who can play there (and have played there in their careers) are: Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Forsyth, Hanson before we even look to someone like Max Hunt in the U23s.  That's enough cover there too.

Isn't he a CDM mainly, if he joins I can see him being first choice for that role with Ledley & Huddlestone as backups, 2 different styles depending on what's needed within the game. Hanson + Thorne maybe to leave on loan.

Personally can only see 1 of Ledley & Huddlestone (maybe neither) getting a new contract which next season would leave us with Evans, Thorne & Ledley/Huddlestone - 2 young players and an older experienced head in there.

Archived