George Evans - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

Their chances of signing George Evans have receded markedly, with the Reading midfielder refusing to commit to a move to Wearside as he waits for potential interest from the Championship to develop.

Reading have accepted Sunderland’s offer for Evans, but the 23-year-old is also the subject of strong interest from Derby County.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/16371191.sunderland-in-head-to-head-battle-with-bolton-to-sign-wyke/

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shang said:

Just googled him, apparently a DM / CB who was part of Jaap Stams Reading team. Very defensive minded and sits back, let's everyone else play in front.

If the interest is genuine, I'd be pretty confident Thorne is on his way out.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Just looking at his Wikipedia, perhaps at City at the same time as Lampard? 

Yeah I think that's the case. Also mentored by Vieira who apparently rated him highly.

Just now, Ryan O'Meara said:

Saw a Sunderland journalist from the Roker Report tweet similar yesterday. Basically said Evans wanted to move to Derby but we weren't interested, which didn't seem to add up. Even if Thorne was to leave, why would we need 3 holding midfielders? 

If he can cover centre back too like some places suggest then he might be brought in to be an upgrade on Hanson. Can cover for Keogh, Davies and Pearce and also be an option in midfield

The 23-year-old midfielder was on the verge of a move to Stadium of Light after the two clubs agreed a fee.

Former Manchester City schoolboy Evans had reportedly agreed personal terms with the League One outfit and a deal was expected to be announced this week.

Evans was even left out of Reading's squad in their final pre-season game against Rubin Kazan in Austria.

However, it it understood that some last minute Championship interest in Evans' availability - reportedly from Derby County - has scuppered the move.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/16371278.reaction-as-george-evans-transfer-from-reading-fc-to-sunderland-fc-stalls/

Was quite surprised he was off to Sunderland, whenever I've seen him for Reading (I live here) he has looked decent.

Would surely mean 1/2 midfielders are off first though. Haven't seen him play CB

Thorne, like Martin, will be off if Mac wants him. I can't see us getting much more than £3m for the pair.

Ultimately I think we all had dreams of Martin hitting 20+ in our promotion season with George picking up player of the season before becoming one of the premier leagues best midfielders alongside Hughes. Things have been quite an anticlimax since, and whilst they may still do it elsewhere the ship has sailed with regards to them doing it here, and we need to have new dreams with new heroes. I for one am putting faith in Tom Lawrence et al tearing this division up over the next 9 months in a way none of these ever quite managed.

The fact we stil have Ledley and Hudds, plus if necessary any of Johnson, Mount, Bryson or Butterfield without mentioning youngsters, I wouldn't suggest we would be looking to add another one to replace him, unless it's part of a plan to bring the ages down or because Frankie knows something we don't.

From a mate of mine who supports Reading:

He's a weird one. Is an okay passer but plays too safely at times. He's an okay defender and can play in the middle of a back 3, but he's not very athletic. He's not amazing but of their 3 defensive midfielders over the past 2 seasons he was the best despite his young age.

Solid player overall but nothing special. The fee will be small (he's heard reports varying from 250k to anywhere around 800k) because he only has a year left on his current deal and either Clement doesn't rate him enough for a new deal or he's refusing to sign one. Plus they have Meyler for that role now.

He'll fit in well at Derby because he spent half of last season out injured. ?

Archived