Elsnik

oldtimeram

Been hearing a lot about Thomas stepping up to the mark in pre-season but not much about Elsnik.  From what folk have seen so far is he close to first team  consideration? 

I would like this lad to do well.. 

Oops I have posted this in the wrong forum.  Admin please move 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought he'd be the first of the U23's to make the step up. Saw some video of him at Swindon and that linked to a couple of brief cameos for the first team made me think he'd do a decent job. Hopefully he'll get more game time this season. I think we have some pretty promising youngsters if they are given the chance to develop.

The problem Elsnik has, in comparison to Thomas & Bennett, is the route to the first team squad. 

We've got a lot of experienced central midfielders, many of them with POTY awards either here or at other clubs. I know some aren't the flavour of the month at the minute, but it's no doubt difficult for him to establish himself ahead of them. 

I guess once we clear the decks, we will see the the route to the first team free up and he won't be so many players away from getting a game. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The problem Elsnik has, in comparison to Thomas & Bennett, is the route to the first team squad. 

We've got a lot of experienced central midfielders, many of them with POTY awards either here or at other clubs. I know some aren't the flavour of the month at the minute, but it's no doubt difficult for him to establish himself ahead of them. 

I guess once we clear the decks, we will see the the route to the first team free up and he won't be so many players away from getting a game. 

The nature of our game is going to change significantly with the signings we have made on the flanks and up top.

i am trying to figure how it’s going to work. We have an abundance of midfield anchors in Thorne, Leadly and Hudds, so where does the penetrative quick footed midfielder fit in the mix I.e. Bryson, Elsnik. What set up will he go for ? We will have options in width and some pace with Lawrence, Wilson and Mount. 

Interesting times ... really looking forward to it 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

The nature of our game is going to change significantly with the signings we have made on the flanks and up top.

i am trying to figure how it’s going to work. We have an abundance of midfield anchors in Thorne, Leadly and Hudds, so where does the penetrative quick footed midfielder fit in the mix I.e. Bryson, Elsnik. What set up will he go for ? We will have options in width and some pace with Lawrence, Wilson and Mount. 

Interesting times ... really looking forward to it 

I’d suggest the penetrative quick footed midfielder will fit in in front of the midfield anchor of Hudds, Thorne or Ledley.

34 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If (and I know it's a big if, but it looks likely from what we've seen so far) we set up in a vaguely similar way to McClaren, then the midfield 3 is going to be a sitter, a passer and a runner.  So depth chart wise, you're looking at something like:

Sitter: Huddz, Ledley, Thorne

Runner: Bryson, Johnson

Passer: Mount, Butterfield, Elsnik

I know that there's not a strict divide between those groups, but Elsnik is a bit closer to the starting XI that he looks based purely on the number of central midfielders we have IMO.

And for all that, Bennett and Thomas are behind Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Anya, Blackman and maybe even Vydra at the moment, so they're not that better off.

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Are you saying they are poo?

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

And for all that, Bennett and Thomas are behind Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Anya, Blackman

I highly doubt that - everything so far suggests Anya & Blackman are at 6 & 7 and on the way out.

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I highly doubt that - everything so far suggests Anya & Blackman are at 6 & 7 and on the way out.

They may well be, but as it stands they are still here unless someone is willing to pay for them/take on their contracts/we pay them off etc.  So even if they're told that they're not wanted and left to train with the kids, there's still going to be pressure on Lampard as to why he's playing academy lads when there are £3.5m+ signings rotting in the reserves, especially if those academy lads have a few bad games (which they inevitably will at some stage).

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

there's still going to be pressure on Lampard as to why he's playing academy lads when there are £3.5m+ signings rotting in the reserves

There really won't, this is Anya & Blackman we're talking about. Let me repeat that ANYA AND BLACKMAN! I'm sure we'll just about keep the fans clamour for their return at bay.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

There really won't, this is Anya & Blackman we're talking about. Let me repeat that ANYA AND BLACKMAN! I'm sure we'll just about keep the fans clamour for their return at bay.

So you are telling me we didn't just have 3 months at the start of last season, where every Radio Derby football programme didn't involve some variant on "And just where is Ikechi Anya? We paid £4.5m for him!"?

Archived