v Southampton (H) Match Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mozza said:

Well chuffed, and that's just from following the game on this thread, keep it up lads. ?

Wasn't sure, but it was a fiver well spent to watch from the Sagan sofa.

A nice quote from their forum:

"It's a pre-season game, so I expect a certain degree of crapness but we are managing to make Derby look like Barca."

Lovely to see us playing joyous passing attacking football, even in a pre-season friendly. There'll be a smile on Mel's face tonight too and he deserves it. He'll be thinking he's rediscovered his famed "Derby way".

Great performance and there seems so much potential going into this season. 

I though Hanson did ok today when he came on. I have not seen him play cb before, which I think is his original position, he always seems to be played in midfield or full back. He looked far more composed today in that second half and distributed the ball well. 

He has often been touted as one to move on but I really think we should give him one last season as back up for Keogh. 

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

A new season and some new positivity? 

That's the spirit!

Possibly see some of our kids who have been doing OK against L2 opposition - see how they get on against a higher standard. 

Check back in and let us know how the style of play compares mate ?

Good game. 

Standout players. 

Lowe (hope he is ok as he went off injured  )

Lawrence  and Ledley for me. 

Still need a centre forward IMO but the Rams looked good today. 

Just got back, we were absolutely exceptional.

Mount took a few minutes, but once he had settled into the game he looked like he had more time on the ball than the players around him, and played through balls with a lovely weight.

Wilson was quick and lively, played a great pass to Lawrence who probably should have scored. Looked very dangerous.

Bryson was excellent, ran all day, closed down and played some great passes.

Max Lowe, my man of the match. Was quick, direct, dangerous and closed down the play in defense so well. Should be our first choice left back.

Lawrence, two great finishes for his goals. Helped the team press extremely well, was always open for a pass and took it past defenders well, great game for him.

Overall, we look like we are going to rip teams apart with quick, incisive passing and one touch football and play with a high press that was very effective today. Very impressive.

Well at the last minute the wife said I should do some painting while she went to town so I went to the game ! 

Excellent move by me, lovely to see the type of football I like

impressed with mount and Wilson  and it was a joy to watch Bryson again and Thomas coming on looks very promising and even Lawrence scored a couple - chuffed with the football we are trying to play

negatives which are obvious - Carson can’t pass the ball very well still and there will be mistakes ( shot stopping still good) 

nugent - not really going to be great up top, if we get Marriott who knows but playing that way a fit chris Martin will do very well and Vydra would score plenty especially if we pass and move as we are trying and the ball is not sent in 8 foot high 

good day out 

24 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Carson 8 - made a few good saves but the most pleasing aspect of his performance for me was how he would sprint to roll the ball out and start an attack once he collected it. We all know his kicking isn't his strong point, so if he can continue to do that and not give the opposition chance to mark the short options I think it'll be beneficial for us

Wisdom 8 - bullied some of Saints players at times and linked up well with Wilson

Keogh 8 - don't write him off just yet people, he's in a system that is perfect for him

Davies 8 - looked like his usual self today after a couple of poor performances recently

Lowe 10 - hope the injury isn't bad because he could have just solved Frank's left back problem with a 60-70 minute performance

Mount 8 - it's like Hughes reincarnated

Ledley 8 - the competition between him and Huddlestone for the defensive mid role will be interesting. I think he just took the lead with that performance

Bryson 8 - please never leave us. At one point he just put a massive grin on my face. There had been a bunch of subs and the game had calmed down with Saints just passing around the back a little. Then I just see Bryson come flying from midfield to charge the ball down, he's great

Wilson 9 - very impressed. Linked up well with everyone around him, created chances and wasn't afraid to run at his man or have a shot. That ball to put Lawrence through was incredible

Nugent 8 - worked hard as he usually does. Still think we need a new striker but he must be brilliant for the dressing room, in particular the younger players who have any nerves

Lawrence 10 (MOTM) - Lampard seems to have given him more freedom than Rowett (and confidence) and he's suddenly turned into the Lawrence we were originally expecting who scored for fun at Ipswich

Notable subs:

Bird 7 - was very calm on the ball and did well

Pearce 7 - thought he did very well and brought a bit of calm to a defence that was full of kids

Huddlestone 7 - great ball to Flo Jo that lead to the goal

Flo Jo 7 - took a while to get into the game but seemed to grow in confidence. Will probably think he should have scored the 1 on 1 but it was an incredible save

Thomas 7 - really hope he gets chances this season because he looks like a brilliant talent

Bennett 8 - 3 in 3 now. Honestly never expected him to be such a poacher in the box, it's like watching a young Darren Bent. He just reacts quicker than everyone around him

Not content with dropping the first 10 I can remember on here, you chuck another one in too!

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Christie? CHRISTIE????

Better going forward than wisdom. Was highly rated at Boro. 

1 minute ago, drgoodspeak said:

Not content with dropping the first 10 I can remember on here, you chuck another one in too!

I always go way over the top with ratings, but you can kind of see who's been the better players for us ?. I just fancied giving a 10 because we won't play many Prem teams this season and I couldn't really ask for much else from either Lowe or Lawrence 

I'm in Greece at the minute but I was cheering every goal. Keep playing like this and we will show people what the derby was is. Can anyone who was at the game tell me what it was like to watch us play that way again and general thoughts on the game 

Archived