v Southampton (H) Match Thread

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Intriguing. Is Roos the de facto number 2 now?

Has Max Bird overtaken Timi Max Elsnik in the youth midfield pecking order?

Is Ledley in pole position over Huddlestone and Thorne as the anchor of a midfield three?

Will Lowe begin the season as first choice?

Maybe who is number 2 is down to who has loan interest in them, maybe same applies to Bird/Elsnik unless Elsnik is injured.

Forsyth out with chest pains so cant read too much into Lowe starting.

CDM is the interesting one, got 3 very capable players. I think Ledley being the more mobile of the 3 works in his favour.

Will be interesting to find out why no Blackman or Jerome. Hopefully someone wants Blackman, with Vydra & Martin out if Jerome is out too it leaves us seriously lacking up front unless we decide to use Bennett or Jozefzoon there

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

No Jerome either ?

And no Blackman too as pointed out elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Are some of the people you mentioned carrying slight knocks so not being risked?

Could well be the case. Elsnik wasn't in the squad at Mansfield either, but I didn't hear an explanation. I had big hopes of him breaking through this season, but he is one of the youngsters who sometimes comes across as fragile and missed significant spells of his Swindon loan through injury.

For some it could equally be a message that you're not going to make the squad so et your agent to pull their finger out over a move, but it's true that even very slight knocks mean players miss pre-season games.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think I prefer Ledley as the anchor, he reminds me very much of Eustace, doesn't do anything fancy but keeps the game ticking over so nicely. 

Could be Lampard being pragmatic. In the Eustace campaign, when he finally got his booking and McClared switched to George Thorne, our entire team stepped up a couple of levels - but Eustace did do a great job and built the platform.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Will be interesting to find out why no Blackman or Jerome. Hopefully someone wants Blackman, with Vydra & Martin out if Jerome is.out too it leaves us seriously lacking up front unless we decide to use Bennett or Jozefzoon there

Maybe Lampards seen enough already.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Maybe but personally think Jerome is a better option to have off the bench than Nugent, end of last season showed what he is capable of.

Jerome looked totally disinterested against Mansfield and very awkward with receiving the ball at his feet and Blackman's misses against Notts County comical. Maybe Lampard has decided to cut the experiment short.

Couple of things about that line up 

1. Add a quality striker to that line up and it’s probably the strongest side in my opinion since 13/14 Mac 1, young, energetic and terrifying pace 

2. Where this squad falls down is the quality of squad depth - if you could play the whole season with that line up and a quality striker that is a top 6 team all day long, problem is you can’t and our squad options are where we will be let down, to many of them and not enough quality. 

Have to say, I applaud Lampard for that team and his signings so far, very impressive and on a shoestring budget, just goes to show you don’t need to spunk millions to put together a decent side at this level. 

21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Imagine the runny egg sliding off your chin after Nugent bags a hat-trick 

That wouldn't be runny egg sliding off his chin.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

They are doing a drill with quick passing between advanced midfielders and wingers with Nuge in the middle with his back to goal. Now who might suit that role? ?

Some bloke in peterborough maybe??

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

They are doing a drill with quick passing between advanced midfielders and wingers with Nuge in the middle with his back to goal. Now who might suit that role? ?

Was thinking the same, the only thing he can't do is energetically press! 

Archived