Tour de France

MuespachRam

Chris Froome out of 2019 Tour de France after 'very serious' crash...

Britain's four-time champion Chris Froome has been ruled out of the Tour de France after a "very serious" crash.

Team Ineos rider Froome, 34, was taken to hospital with a reported broken femur after crashing before stage four of the Criterium du Dauphine on Wednesday.

"He crashed in the downhill section of the course at high speed. He hit a wall," team principal Dave Brailsford told France Televisions. "It'll take quite a long time before he races again."

The incident took place during a practice ride on Wednesday's 26.1km time-trial course in Roanne, France.

Brailsford said: "The ambulance came quickly. He's been taken care of and waits for a helicopter to be transferred to Lyon or Saint-Etienne.

"It's a very serious accident. Clearly, he won't be at the start of the Tour de France."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48612884

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

L

3 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

With Thomas and Bernal they still have a good team and some other contestants not there or in form. 

Who else? Nibali, possibly. Kriezwiec unlikely, quintana, not in form. No other teams strong enough. 

Im too cynical of Inios, and cycling at the moment to get excited about TDF.

Perhaps I follow too many doping experts on Twitter to give a balanced view. 

Froome was in a very serious accident but had that 'thumbs up' picture, with no visible accident damage. Then Thomas has a blip. 

Like I said, Im almost at the end of Paul Kimmage book and its quite informative. 

19 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

L

Im too cynical of Inios, and cycling at the moment to get excited about TDF.

Perhaps I follow too many doping experts on Twitter to give a balanced view. 

Froome was in a very serious accident but had that 'thumbs up' picture, with no visible accident damage. Then Thomas has a blip. 

Like I said, Im almost at the end of Paul Kimmage book and its quite informative. 

The doping problem with cycling hasn't gone away, it just had to become more clever about it. Between that the team sky employing the cycling equivalent of rowettball to good effect it's not the fun it used to be. If Thomas is sore but basically unharmed Ineos will probably ride him to the win.

Sith Happens
On 30/06/2019 at 03:26, RadioactiveWaste said:

The doping problem with cycling hasn't gone away, it just had to become more clever about it. Between that the team sky employing the cycling equivalent of rowettball to good effect it's not the fun it used to be. If Thomas is sore but basically unharmed Ineos will probably ride him to the win.

Anyone found wiggins laptop yet? 

The racing starting from tomorrow should be good. 

No obvious favourite, and no team looks to be too strong to control the race. 

Here's a tip from Paul Kimmage, see how many, if any, wear long sleeve tops in the sweltering heat. Hopefully none and we can have a clean race. 

• 2 weeks later...

What did we think of Alaphillipe's TT today? 

It seemed to shock most observer's and he hopped off the bike at the end looking very fresh.....

There's a brutal day in the mountains tomorrow, lets see if he can keep his GC crusade going. 

On 19/07/2019 at 23:55, CWC1983 said:

What did we think of Alaphillipe's TT today? 

It seemed to shock most observer's and he hopped off the bike at the end looking very fresh.....

There's a brutal day in the mountains tomorrow, lets see if he can keep his GC crusade going. 

The taffy strikes back.

He'll probably get to hold the yellow on the next two stages with one flat and one hilly but not mountainous but three crunch days in the alps, and behind Thomas seems the contenders are gathering.

Been far more interesting this year than the last few where sky/ineos just ride to snuff out attacks.

Geraint’s brother works in the same office as me, we had a bit of a to-do last year when he won it. 

Have to say though, one of those sports where I’m massively in awe of the athletic feat, but you couldn’t pay me to watch it. 

38 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The taffy strikes back.

He'll probably get to hold the yellow on the next two stages with one flat and one hilly but not mountainous but three crunch days in the alps, and behind Thomas seems the contenders are gathering.

Been far more interesting this year than the last few where sky/ineos just ride to snuff out attacks.

Pinot looks dangerous and in form for the Alps. 

The rest day has come just in time for Alaphillipe. 

I dont think Thomas has quite enough this year, although I read that the Tour might be won by the freshest rider going into the 3rd week and him and Kruisjwik have 9 less days in the saddle than Pinot and Alaphillipe this year  

Sets it up nicely for a do or die stage tomorrow. 

What do Ineos do? Cover all attacks against Bernal to ensure a victory, or let them fight it out on the 3rd and last 33km climb to Val Thorens ski station  

Archived