Tour de France

MuespachRam

I really don't understand road cycling so maybe someone can explain:

1. What do they mean by "getting their team mates to help them out"? They can't pedal for them so I don't get what they mean. As a part b) why are they even organised into teams? 

2. Why has the Welsh bloke already won when it's still going on? Surely he could fall off and break his leg in the next 80km?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

1. What do they mean by "getting their team mates to help them out"? They can't pedal for them so I don't get what they mean. As a part b) why are they even organised into teams? 

2. Why has the Welsh bloke already won when it's still going on? Surely he could fall off and break his leg in the next 80km?

They move in front of their team mate so they can slip stream them. It's waaay easier to ride when you have somebody close in front.

Tradition dictates the final Sunday is a procession and it's frowned upon to attack.

12 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

And yeh he could fall off and break his leg, but as there are no attacks and it's a simple stage the chance of that happening is about the same as an F1 car spinning out of control and crashing on the warm up lap.

Even if he fell off, it's unacceptable to launch an attack on the back of an accident.

My guess is even with a broken leg he'd get there some how.

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

And yeh he could fall off and break his leg, but as there are no attacks and it's a simple stage the chance of that happening is about the same as an F1 car spinning out of control and crashing on the warm up lap.

Even if he fell off, it's unacceptable to launch an attack on the back of an accident.

My guess is even with a broken leg he'd get there some how.

Thanks. I assumed it was something to do with slipstreaming but just thought the effect couldn't be great enough to make a difference.

So theoretically someone could try and beat him, but they don't bother because of tradition? Has anyone ever done it?

17 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Amazing performance for the entire 3 weeks...!

one of the best sporting achievements ever..

sports personality of the year sewn up too.!! Ha ha 

I hope he wins sp just got to hope HK doesn’t get a foot in.??

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Thanks. I assumed it was something to do with slipstreaming but just thought the effect couldn't be great enough to make a difference.

So theoretically someone could try and beat him, but they don't bother because of tradition? Has anyone ever done it?

i don't think so. Tradition is important in the Tour.

Either last year or the year before the leader (can't remember if it was Froome or not - but could have been as it was in the mountains) came off.

One of the top few riders attacked immediately. It was tough to say if that was the reason or it was a coincidence, but his team caught him up, went past him as they would normally and then deliberately slowed the pace.

It does make the last day a bit boring unless you're a fan of a particular sprinter. Would have been interesting of Cavendish was till in and on form. 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

From Wikipedia, but it was a time trial.

In 1989, Greg LeMond beat Laurent Fignon by 58 seconds over a 24 km time trial from Versailles. In doing so, he closed a 50-second gap to win the 1989 Tour de France by eight seconds. It was the first (and only) time trial final stage on the Champs-Élysées

Why not make cycling a team sport where the pair win, rather than the individual if it plays such a large part in who wins. Seems a bit unfair on the guy chafing away just to let his mate take all the plaudits.

Telling his grandkids how he was the slipstream man for Bradley Wiggins doesn't sound as great as actually winning the Tour De France.

In F1 if your team mate is around he can help hold up the pack, but Hamilton could still win the race with Bottas miles away.

8 riders per team I think in the Tour.  In a way it would be a fairer sport if there were no teams.  As it stands members of stronger teams, with better riders to assist them in the team time trial or half way up a mountain, have a better chance of winning the tour than riders in weaker teams. 

Not to mention being a member of the team with the more sophisticated laboratory and team of doctors behind the scenes has, traditionally, had a huge bearing on the result of the Tour. 

9 hours ago, David said:

Why not make cycling a team sport where the pair win, rather than the individual if it plays such a large part in who wins. Seems a bit unfair on the guy chafing away just to let his mate take all the plaudits.

Telling his grandkids how he was the slipstream man for Bradley Wiggins doesn't sound as great as actually winning the Tour De France.

In F1 if your team mate is around he can help hold up the pack, but Hamilton could still win the race with Bottas miles away.

The Tour winner traditionally does not take any winnings from the race, they are shared amongst the team.  G has just won the lottery BIG TIME. Racing events will pay big appearance money to have the TdeF race winner grace their event in the future. Domestiques and in G's case, Super Domestiques, can command high salaries for riding for the benefit of their team leader, and that is their function. G was in the form of his life this season and was clearly the better climber than Chris F, so being a Super Domestique could have created a problem - if having 1 and 2 in the General Classification during the latter stages of the race was a problem! Realistically, in any Grand Tour there are only perhaps half a dozen potential winners, so Sky having two "candidates"  in both 2012 and 2018 is remarkable.

The composition of the team evolves annually : it was no coincidence that Team Sky had no less than 4 climbers in their team, and as the penultimate stage demonstrated, they placed three riders in the top four of the individual time trial, both facets being essential to winning the event.

When you cycle through the alps
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the climb

At the end of a ride
There's a golden jersey
And the sweet silver song of a lark

Cycle on through the wind
Clycle on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown tyres

Cycle on, cycle on
With drugs in your body
And you'll never cycle alone

You'll never cycle alone

Cycle on, cycle on
With drugs in your heart

You'll never cycle alone

On 03/08/2018 at 12:42, David said:

When you cycle through the alps
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the climb

At the end of a ride
There's a golden jersey
And the sweet silver song of a lark

Cycle on through the wind
Clycle on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown tyres

Cycle on, cycle on
With drugs in your body

You'll never cycle alone

Cycle on, cycle on
With drugs in your heart

You'll never cycle alone

Bike or ride instead of cycle and you would have a winner. Which would be a first for Grimsby.

Im struggling to copy the chart into here but below is the text from cycling news in 2010. Basicaly, the International cycling union did research into cyclists blood passports and rated the 2010 giro participants from 0 to 10 on the liklehood of doping. 

Our current Tour de France winner rated a 6. Wiggins a 3. 

0 means no suspicion.

See below for an analysis of a 6 to 10 rating.  

"From six to ten, the circumstantial evidence of possible doping was "overwhelming". According to the paper, some of the riders located to the top of list have already been singled out by the biological passport and evaluated by the panel of nine experts, even if no procedure was opened. "Still, some of the files' commentaries are damning. Recurrent abnormal profiles, enormous fluctuations, identification of the used doping product and means of administration..." wrote L'Equipe's anti-doping expert journalist Damien Ressiot"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You've got to admit, it does seem highly suspicious that for something we used to be rubbish at, for 'us' to now hold the three main titles at the same time, there must be something amiss. We can't have all of a sudden, after 100 years, discovered how to peddle faster.

Maybe they all cheat, and we've just found a better, more undetectable way of doing it?

I fall on the side of give all athletes as many drugs as they can take though. Who cares about seeing someone run 100m in 10 seconds, then 9.97, then 9.59? It's basically the same. I want to see someone run it in 5 seconds. That would be progress. 

Maybe Thomas is good at peddling. Lets see him win the Tour whilst giving someone a backsie. Then I'll be impressed.

Archived