TalkSport Best Championship Grounds

David

Power ranking every 2018/19 Championship club’s stadium – from worst to best

Atmosphere, capacity, pubs and pies all factored in talkSPORT's definitive ranking

There’s nothing like going to watch the football, but these days there is a lot to consider if you are going to make a day of it.

Transport, ticket prices, pie selection, pub geography and half-time toilet queues are factors we took into consideration when collating this definitive ranking of Championship grounds.

1st Elland Road

2nd Pride Park

3rd Bramall Lane

4th City Ground

5th Bet365 Stadium

Full list https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/efl/384615/power-ranking-every-2018-19-championship-clubs-stadium-from-worst-to-best/amp/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, David said:

Atmosphere, capacity, pubs and pies all factored in talkSPORT's definitive ranking

There’s nothing like going to watch the football, but these days there is a lot to consider if you are going to make a day of it.

Transport, ticket prices, pie selection, pub geography and half-time toilet queues are factors we took into consideration when collating this definitive ranking of Championship grounds.

1st Elland Road

2nd Pride Park

3rd Bramall Lane

4th City Ground

5th Bet365 Stadium

Full list https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/efl/384615/power-ranking-every-2018-19-championship-clubs-stadium-from-worst-to-best/amp/

Eland road is a dump I've been told?

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, David said:

1st Elland Road

2nd Pride Park

3rd Bramall Lane

4th City Ground

5th Bet365 Stadium

What is the bet365 stadium? Never heard of it.

As much as I like our stadium, I wouldn’t rate it in the top 5 in this league. It’s the same as every other commercial stadium made just prior to the millennium, and has nothing iconic or special. Just same old blueprint, atmosphere nothing special either. 

Feel that the talksport port rankings are far too swayed on capacity  

I will always love Pride Park but that’s because of my association with the club. If I were an away fan, I wouldn’t be overly enamoured with it. 

34 minutes ago, HariboWest said:

As much as I like our stadium, I wouldn’t rate it in the top 5 in this league. It’s the same as every other commercial stadium made just prior to the millennium, and has nothing iconic or special. Just same old blueprint, atmosphere nothing special either. 

I will always love Pride Park but that’s because of my association with the club. If I were an away fan, I wouldn’t be overly enamoured with it. 

When you talk to away fans at Pride Park its amazing how much they enjoy coming here. Maybe its just the ones I've spoken to but all I hear is compliments about the place. Real ale pubs, food outlets, walking distance to the train station, mostly friendly home fans, good atmosphere with very loud home fans who stand all game.

53 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Pride Park is alright. I don't get the bit about never having sold out? We sell out the tickets we at least a few times a season. 

Was very annoying in among plenty of compliments. Obviously it's because the capacity is always misreported. The club should be better at managing its metadata. 

We have sold out several times over the years, capacity is only reduced by segregation. Pretty poor article overall I would say. Brentford no longer have a pub on each corner as one has shut,  Bolton has a railway station next to the ground for example...

8 hours ago, HariboWest said:

Depends whether you like your stadiums new or traditional. Those who like a stadium with history seem to be thinning out as new generations of fans keep coming through mostly preferring a nice clean modern stadium than a bit of a dump with a story to tell.

i would also say steps have been taken by the club to make Pride Park a little bit more unique than it was originally, eg the statue set up, bbg clock, Bloomer bust in front of dug out is quite original.

im with you though, I do like my old traditional football grounds.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Pride Park is alright. I don't get the bit about never having sold out? We sell out the tickets we at least a few times a season. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was very annoying in among plenty of compliments. Obviously it's because the capacity is always misreported. The club should be better at managing its metadata. 

It's because our away fan segregation has always been that netting over a column of seats (unless that has changed, not been in a while). Those seats count towards our capacity, so in a competitive match it's not possible for us to fill the stadium.

We sell out tickets a few times a season though, usually.

I think the Ted McMinn testimonial was a true stadium filler, as it was mixed seating, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

It's because our away fan segregation has always been that netting over a column of seats (unless that has changed, not been in a while). Those seats count towards our capacity, so in a competitive match it's not possible for us to fill the stadium.

We sell out tickets a few times a season though, usually.

I think the Ted McMinn testimonial was a true stadium filler, as it was mixed seating, but I could be wrong.

33,597 for England v Mexico friendly in 2001 is the record attendance.

ted mcminn testimonial was 33,475 and is the record for a “derby game”.

for competitive matches we can just scrape over 33k due to that netting, which is on both sides of the away fans now, rather than just one side when they were in the south stand.

7 hours ago, WystonRam said:

We have sold out several times over the years, capacity is only reduced by segregation. Pretty poor article overall I would say. Brentford no longer have a pub on each corner as one has shut,  Bolton has a railway station next to the ground for example...

Yeh we have sold out, a LOT.

No team ever hits their capacity because you always have no-shows no matter how big the game.  People who get sick, miss a train/bus etc., get called into work and a myriad of other reasons like segregation.

When you see teams over their capacity it's from the days of standing when they'd shoehorn people in.

And let's be fair, I like Pride Park, but it will never get close to the BBG for atmosphere.

Elland Road costs and arm and a leg to get into - ticket prices must have had a low weighting in this survey.

My favourites are still the likes of Griffin Park and Loftus Road. On top of the players, smaller, better atmosphere etc

Archived