Google fined for pushing Android rubbish on people

David

Google has been fined a record €4.34bn ($5bn; £3.9bn) over Android.

The European Commission said the firm had used the mobile operating system to illegally "cement its dominant position" in search.

The firm's parent Alphabet has been given 90 days to change its business practices or face further penalties of up to 5% of its average global daily turnover.

It has said it plans to appeal.

Full story https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-44858238

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh? You can't come down to The Pub with your preconceived prejudices and apple bias.  You'll get lynched.

Get back to the football forum and start moderating numpties that think the season is a write-off already ?

28 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

$4.3bn - Which is ironically the amount that each Apple user has overpaid for their iProduct because it's sooooooo coooool man

Even Google users trying to push rubbish out there, must be contagious ?

I thought @David hated Apple?

This decision, frankly, is a load of garbage. Google, for its many and varied faults, has successfully busted Apple’s attempted monopoly and done so on a platform where it’s not the only provider.

I can’t help but wonder how much of a warning shot over American bows this decision is.

Apple don’t update their apps that often, no need when they work from the off!

Not like those Google ones where they release something, monthly update to fix bugs, then they introduce new features which nobody wants or likes and spend another couple of months fixing bugs on those new features. The app then gets pulled as nobody uses it.

10 hours ago, David said:

Apple don’t update their apps that often, no need when they work from the off!

Not like those Google ones where they release something, monthly update to fix bugs, then they introduce new features which nobody wants or likes and spend another couple of months fixing bugs on those new features. The app then gets pulled as nobody uses it.

And when apple do update the software, it’s free. 

I do think Google need to be defended slightly though.

Google own Google, why shouldn’t they be allowed to push their products on their website? 

Other search engines are available.

I don’t see Tesco letting Asda advertise their products at the front of their stores. 

Crap analogy that but I know what I’m getting at. 

Reminiscent of the EU's case against Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows. Which didn't end well for Microsoft. 

And similar to forcing the Premier League to split up football rights into different packages to broadcast through different networks. Because it was their duty to protect EU consumers. So now, instead of only having to subscribe to one, those EU consumers have to pay for both Sky and BT Sport. 

Archived