Who looking forward to new season

B4ev6is

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Ah but did he rest up before the big performance? One of the U23s might have had to take a turn the week before, so he had 8 days rest.

Out of interest and to move us swiftly away from that path! How do you propose we introduce the U23s, or does that hold no interest to you?

Cup games, no. 

Resting players with a stack of games coming up, no.

We're unlikely to know if they are good enough to step up without giving them a chance, but I don't see where that chance would come from with you in charge.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I'm looking forward to this season more than any for a long while. A united fan base, a side apparently being built to play passing football, some really useful looking youth coming through and some of the most sought after loan signings now on our books.

If none of this your lifts your pulse you're most likely dead or a Gump. Hard to know which is worse really. 

COYR

Better dead than red.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Out of interest and to move us swiftly away from that path! How do you propose we introduce the U23s, or does that hold no interest to you?

Cup games, no. 

Resting players with a stack of games coming up, no.

We're unlikely to know if they are good enough to step up without giving them a chance, but I don't see where that chance would come from with you in charge.

Cup games - No.

Resting players - Only if proven that they are in need of a rest. I doubt that is very often, it's only 2 games a week and plenty of rest anyway.

I am all for playing youth players, if they are ready. We should be about winning matches, every match. Football needs to look at the structure under the first team and get that right. U23 games.. Meh. Do they prepare them for first team?

In answer to your question, they take their opportunity when it comes along. Injuries, suspensions etc. One the bench and when we are winning with a comfortable lead, bring them on. IF they perform, keep em in and then the player outted has to wait for his opprtunity. 

It seems to be accepted that cup games are of lesser value. Why? Never understood having your best players on the bench and playing kids. Get into trouble and then in desperation bring on your better players. Should be the other way around.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Cup games - No.

Resting players - Only if proven that they are in need of a rest. I doubt that is very often, it's only 2 games a week and plenty of rest anyway.

I am all for playing youth players, if they are ready. We should be about winning matches, every match. Football needs to look at the structure under the first team and get that right. U23 games.. Meh. Do they prepare them for first team?

In answer to your question, they take their opportunity when it comes along. Injuries, suspensions etc. One the bench and when we are winning with a comfortable lead, bring them on. IF they perform, keep em in and then the player outted has to wait for his opprtunity. 

It seems to be accepted that cup games are of lesser value. Why? Never understood having your best players on the bench and playing kids. Get into trouble and then in desperation bring on your better players. Should be the other way around.

I'm not sure how it can be proven to us fans when they are in need of a rest, managers, coaching staff work with these players day in day out in training. Surely we have to trust their opinions when selecting teams? 

You say it's "only" 2 games a week but even the best of managers rest players ahead of difficult European games, or where the European game is v lesser opponent and a difficult league game coming up. 

Clearly no myth that fresh legs perform better and whilst that is no guarantee of a result, it's playing the cards to your advantage.

16 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not sure how it can be proven to us fans when they are in need of a rest, managers, coaching staff work with these players day in day out in training. Surely we have to trust their opinions when selecting teams? 

You say it's "only" 2 games a week but even the best of managers rest players ahead of difficult European games, or where the European game is v lesser opponent and a difficult league game coming up. 

Clearly no myth that fresh legs perform better and whilst that is no guarantee of a result, it's playing the cards to your advantage.

It's become a thing though all this players need rest. It's just tinkering. Is there proof that resting works? What are the downsides of the rest? We have seen instances where teams have a week to prepare for a game and then lose to someone who has had a backlog of fixtures. 

If I was a performance athlete, I would want to perform not sit on a bench. Momentum? 

Tell me, just what was the point in giving Pearce a run out against Man U in the cup last year? I knwo he is not an U23 but he did not play again for weeks after that. Let's call it what it is, Managers and clubs use these a pactice games, they don't care now. Effectively there is only one thing to strive for, winning or promotion in your league. Whoopi. 

''Clearly no myth that fresh legs perform better and whilst that is no guarantee of a result, it's playing the cards to your advantage.'' 

England had fresher legs than Croatia, we hardly laid a glove on them after 20 mins. Where was the advantage?

32 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It's become a thing though all this players need rest. It's just tinkering. Is there proof that resting works? What are the downsides of the rest? We have seen instances where teams have a week to prepare for a game and then lose to someone who has had a backlog of fixtures. 

If I was a performance athlete, I would want to perform not sit on a bench. Momentum? 

Tell me, just what was the point in giving Pearce a run out against Man U in the cup last year? I knwo he is not an U23 but he did not play again for weeks after that. Let's call it what it is, Managers and clubs use these a pactice games, they don't care now. Effectively there is only one thing to strive for, winning or promotion in your league. Whoopi. 

''Clearly no myth that fresh legs perform better and whilst that is no guarantee of a result, it's playing the cards to your advantage.'' 

England had fresher legs than Croatia, we hardly laid a glove on them after 20 mins. Where was the advantage?

As I say fresh legs doesn't guarantee you the result, neither does momentum. I can't provide you with any definitive proof that resting is the better option as it would be down to the individuals. Not knowing the players personally or having any data to hand at my desk, the only option I have is to trust the manager that's job is on the line to make these calls.

With the new winter break coming in which clubs are not allowed to fly out to Asia on PR games, must be something in this resting players, La Liga have had one for a while as well, some argue it gives their players an advantage when it comes to international tournaments, didn't help them this yea, but that could be put down to a number of other reasons which you need to factor in.

I wouldn't say manager don't care but it's no secret they prioritise certain competitions which are important for the club, for Derby that is without a doubt the League. Yes only Eddie will have seen us lift the FA Cup and it would be great to see it lifted again in our lifetime, but for the club which is losing millions each year, the Premier League is the ultimate goal as it puts money in the bank.

know it's hard to accept that clubs are businesses, but they are. 

Could you win both? Of course you can, but let's look at Bristol City, when they were flying Lee Johnson coming out and saying that they were training with the belief they were a Premier League team. Arrogance caught up with them over the new year and admitted the cup run took it out of them. That could simply be excuses for bad tactical calls, poor signings etc. But as I said right at the start there is no definitive proof. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

You're all getting a bit giddy.

this is Derby County. Things are never that simple.

Giddy , just got sucked in by the DCFC email for Southampton tickets .... Just printed 2 off ? 

40 minutes ago, David said:

As I say fresh legs doesn't guarantee you the result, neither does momentum. I can't provide you with any definitive proof that resting is the better option as it would be down to the individuals. Not knowing the players personally or having any data to hand at my desk, the only option I have is to trust the manager that's job is on the line to make these calls.

With the new winter break coming in which clubs are not allowed to fly out to Asia on PR games, must be something in this resting players, La Liga have had one for a while as well, some argue it gives their players an advantage when it comes to international tournaments, didn't help them this yea, but that could be put down to a number of other reasons which you need to factor in.

I wouldn't say manager don't care but it's no secret they prioritise certain competitions which are important for the club, for Derby that is without a doubt the League. Yes only Eddie will have seen us lift the FA Cup and it would be great to see it lifted again in our lifetime, but for the club which is losing millions each year, the Premier League is the ultimate goal as it puts money in the bank.

know it's hard to accept that clubs are businesses, but they are. 

Could you win both? Of course you can, but let's look at Bristol City, when they were flying Lee Johnson coming out and saying that they were training with the belief they were a Premier League team. Arrogance caught up with them over the new year and admitted the cup run took it out of them. That could simply be excuses for bad tactical calls, poor signings etc. But as I said right at the start there is no definitive proof. 

Of course it's a lottery, that's why we love football. 

''With the new winter break coming in which clubs are not allowed to fly out to Asia on PR games, must be something in this resting players, La Liga have had one for a while as well, some argue it gives their players an advantage when it comes to international tournaments, didn't help them this yea, but that could be put down to a number of other reasons which you need to factor in.''

The winter break is very minimal, can't see it having much affect. Players will still be in training as clubs will want them to maintain performance levels. It will be interesting for sure.

''I wouldn't say manager don't care but it's no secret they prioritise certain competitions which are important for the club, for Derby that is without a doubt the League. Yes only Eddie will have seen us lift the FA Cup and it would be great to see it lifted again in our lifetime, but for the club which is losing millions each year, the Premier League is the ultimate goal as it puts money in the bank.

know it's hard to accept that clubs are businesses, but they are. ''

Agreed from a business perspective the Premier League is where the money is but my objection is when they deliberately make no effort to compete. Us as fans are part of 'the business' and they have a duty of care to us as well. We are a 'professional' (I use that word loosly in the case of Uncle Mel), sporting business. Mission statement number one must be win every bloody game, or at least try. Don't take money from punters if you arnt bothered.

''Could you win both? Of course you can, but let's look at Bristol City, when they were flying Lee Johnson coming out and saying that they were training with the belief they were a Premier League team. Arrogance caught up with them over the new year and admitted the cup run took it out of them. That could simply be excuses for bad tactical calls, poor signings etc. But as I said right at the start there is no definitive proof.''

Ask Brizzle fans what was the highlight of their season. What gave them the most buzz? I personally would have taken that last year against what I was served up. So what do they do next year? Give up before the cup run starts just in case? Nah not having that.

47 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Of course it's a lottery, that's why we love football. 

''With the new winter break coming in which clubs are not allowed to fly out to Asia on PR games, must be something in this resting players, La Liga have had one for a while as well, some argue it gives their players an advantage when it comes to international tournaments, didn't help them this yea, but that could be put down to a number of other reasons which you need to factor in.''

The winter break is very minimal, can't see it having much affect. Players will still be in training as clubs will want them to maintain performance levels. It will be interesting for sure.

''I wouldn't say manager don't care but it's no secret they prioritise certain competitions which are important for the club, for Derby that is without a doubt the League. Yes only Eddie will have seen us lift the FA Cup and it would be great to see it lifted again in our lifetime, but for the club which is losing millions each year, the Premier League is the ultimate goal as it puts money in the bank.

know it's hard to accept that clubs are businesses, but they are. ''

Agreed from a business perspective the Premier League is where the money is but my objection is when they deliberately make no effort to compete. Us as fans are part of 'the business' and they have a duty of care to us as well. We are a 'professional' (I use that word loosly in the case of Uncle Mel), sporting business. Mission statement number one must be win every bloody game, or at least try. Don't take money from punters if you arnt bothered. 

''Could you win both? Of course you can, but let's look at Bristol City, when they were flying Lee Johnson coming out and saying that they were training with the belief they were a Premier League team. Arrogance caught up with them over the new year and admitted the cup run took it out of them. That could simply be excuses for bad tactical calls, poor signings etc. But as I said right at the start there is no definitive proof.''

Ask Brizzle fans what was the highlight of their season. What gave them the most buzz? I personally would have taken that last year against what I was served up. So what do they do next year? Give up before the cup run starts just in case? Nah not having that.

Pretty much agree with you on everything Angry. Just one little rider: Early Cup games are usually priced pretty low and I would think everyone knows its going to be a "B" team. Does give the lesser players a run out.

The break thing is not so much physical as mental. Even in their cossetted lives the relentless travel, busses, trains, Hotels, sharing with some hairy bloke who is not your WAG, just gets to you. Ask any person who travels regularly if they think its fun.

34 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Pretty much agree with you on everything Angry. Just one little rider: Early Cup games are usually priced pretty low and I would think everyone knows its going to be a "B" team. Does give the lesser players a run out.

The break thing is not so much physical as mental. Even in their cossetted lives the relentless travel, busses, trains, Hotels, sharing with some hairy bloke who is not your WAG, just gets to you. Ask any person who travels regularly if they think its fun.

Agreed with the mental thing and the travel. I travel a lot, hate it. 

Too many clubs do the weak teams in early rounds and it bites them on the arse. 

Archived