'Disgustingly expensive'

maxjam

Manchester United have unveiled their most expensive home kit to date, sparking anger among some fans.

The Red Devils 2018/19 season strip features an "authentic" adults' version of the football shirt, shorts and socks costing a total of £182.85

https://news.sky.com/story/disgustingly-expensive-manchester-united-fans-react-to-183-price-tag-for-new-home-kit-11439637

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sparked anger

But not the sense to think "I'm not going to buy it because I don't need to wear the latest replica shirt."

No wonder Manchester has so many homeless people if everyone there is that thick 

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's sparked anger

But not the sense to think "I'm not going to buy it because I don't need to wear the latest replica shirt."

No wonder Manchester has so many homeless people if everyone there is that thick 

Not sure that theres any correlation between being homeless and being thick.

but there certainly is a correlation between being thick and handing over £180 notes for football shirt.

As other's have said, it is a case of supply and demand. Man Utd's global fan base is so vast they will easily sell enough to make a handsome profit. 

Don't get me wrong, it is extortionate, but the super clubs' (those challenging for Champions League every year) approach typifies the modern 'supporter as/is consumer' ethos. They are world wide commercial brands and have with more in common with Coca Cola and McDonalds than Derby County or most other clubs outside the top European leagues. 

If one person doesn't want to fork out there is someone behind him that will (same, more or less, for ticket pricing...)

The regular home shirt is £65, still daft, but not quite so crazy. The only differences between this and the more expensive version is a slightly tighter fit, some nonsensical patented cooling technology (or very small holes under the arms as non marketing people say), and maybe some slight difference in the manufacturers badge. No one needs the "authentic" version, and no one (other than some absolute sad acts) would be able to tell at a glance which was which. The idiots who insist on having the authentic version deserve to be fleeced and I think clubs should charge even more for them. Call it an imbecile tax and use the increased profits to subsidise match tickets or normal shirts for the proles.

On 18/07/2018 at 10:55, AndyinLiverpool said:

I liked 'our shirt sleeve partner'

There's a contract somewhere that obliges them to refer to them in this way. Splendid.

Do they have a 'crotch sponsor' for the shorts?

Archived