Ideal starting XI for Reading (A) - Discussion

RamsPolls

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

So where does all this leave bennett, thomas and elsnik?

In and around the first team taking their chances when they come hopefully. 

A high mobility pressing game takes its toll if you don’t rotate the squad for some games and don’t take chances with knocks.

i expect them all to be in amongst it at times to progress and develop but not starting every game

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Kernow said:

Carson

Mount       Mount     Mount        Mount

Mount

Mount     Mount

Mount                                       Mount

Mount

I can see him now! 

Carson

Wisdom      Keogh        Davies        Mitchell

Huddlestone 

Mount 

Vydra                                  Wilson

Lawrence 

Martin

subs

Mitchell, Bogle, Forsyth, Thomas, Jerome, Bryson, Palmer 

vyds essentially  playing the same roll as last year, but 4-3-3 can change to 4-5-1 as we loose possession youthfull line up with experience in important positions. I would upgrade Martin but if we don’t have the money to buy a top centre forward and can keep Vydra, could suit them both and hopefully rediscover some form. If not we’d have 3 other back ups. 

This is an ideal line up with a little bit of reality attacthed, I think the most optimistic I’m being is us keeping Vydra.  

If we loose him I’d like to see us sign that lad from Brentford and maybe play Lawrence in the forward thinking midfield role. 

Huddlestone would love to play in that team as he’d be spraying the ball out all game long with willing runners to find. 

I know mount can play further forward but I’m sure he’d do a job anywhere in midfield. 

Just now, DcfcJB said:

Carson

Wisdom      Keogh        Davies        Mitchell

Huddlestone 

Mount 

Vydra                          Lawrence                                       Wilson

Martin

subs

Mitchell, Boyle, Forsyth, Thomas, Jerome, Bryson, Palmer 

SUSANNNNNNNNN! 

Carson

Bogle   Keogh   Davies  xxxxxxx

Mason  Huddlestone   Bryson

Lawrence  Vydra  Wilson

Subs Thomas. Martin. Pearce. Wisdom. Butterfield. Mitchell. Bennett

I think Frank has one more player to add to his squad... likely to be a pacey centre-forward. Here is my revised ideal team for the first game.

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh     Davies    Lowe

Wilson      Mount     Huddlestone    Lawrence

Vydra 

Jerome

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Anya, Johnson, Ledley, Martin, Nugent

Carson

Wisdom          Keogh        Davies      Lowe

Huddlestone

Bryson                 Mount

Wilson               Marriott              Lawrence    

I'll put what I'd like to see at Reading and what I think we may see. 

Ideal Line-up: 

Carson 

Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Fozzy/Lowe

Huddlestone

Mount             Bryson 

Wilson             Jerome             Lawrence 

What I think we may do being away from home: 

Carson 

Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Fozzy/Lowe 

Huddlestone 

Bryson                Ledley 

Wilson             Jerome            Lawrence 

11 hours ago, New Gold Dream said:

I think Frank has one more player to add to his squad... likely to be a pacey centre-forward. Here is my revised ideal team for the first game.

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh     Davies    Lowe

Wilson      Mount     Huddlestone    Lawrence

Vydra 

Jerome

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Anya, Johnson, Ledley, Martin, Nugent

Is Lawrence the linesman??

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davis DaSilva

Ledley

Mount     Palmer               

Wilson     Marriot     Abraham

The slight dip in second half performance at notts seemed to be when we had players who played at a slower tempo and who were more negative with their passes. Wisdom, huddlestone, lowe, blackman, and Jerome were all guilty at times . Not butters btw. He looked to try to be creative at every opportunity even if he can't quite match bryson for tempo. 

ledleys shorter passing seemed to suit the team better than huddlestone's hollwood passes, and bogle was overall better than wisdom, but we might need to stick with huddlestone, wisdom and forsyth to be able to defend corners and crosses. Getting the right blend will be interesting.

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The slight dip in second half performance at notts seemed to be when we had players who played at a slower tempo and who were more negative with their passes. Wisdom, huddlestone, lowe, blackman, and Jerome were all guilty at times . Not butters btw. He looked to try to be creative at every opportunity even if he can't quite match bryson for tempo. 

ledleys shorter passing seemed to suit the team better than huddlestone's hollwood passes, and bogle was overall better than wisdom, but we might need to stick with huddlestone, wisdom and forsyth to be able to defend corners and crosses. Getting the right blend will be interesting.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ledley ended up being first choice for DM. His positional sense and his ability to read the game could be crucial for when the opposition break through the press. Lampard may fancy someone who is more a dedicated defensive midfielder and mostly looks to recycle position than a deep laying playmaker like Hudds.

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You might be right but I wondered, at the time, if the slight dip in dominance (rather than performance) might have been more down to the changes Notts County made. 

I keep forgetting that we have Ledley.

Ledley

Bryson              Mount

is a nice balance and should be enough to compete against most teams in this league. Ideally, I'd be looking for a replacement for Bryson to look to the future but Mount provides everything that Huddlestone does with his passing, whilst Ledley has good positional sense.

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh   Davies   Lowe

Mount   Thorne   Johnson

Wilson   Martin   Thomas

I could easily get excited about this line up - and what quality on the bench!

I can't see any reason why Martin wouldn't be massively successful in this team. But we do need to shift some players - loads actually!

Archived