Carl Sagan

Academy Thread 2018/19

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Henry Wise (son of Dennis) has gone as has winger Zaid Al Hussaini who's only been with us a year.

Judging from his Instagram Stories, that Al Hussaini seemed like an arrogant rick. 

Scotland U21s - Kyle McAllister

Slovenia U21s - Timi Elsnik and Sven Karic

Ireland U19s - Jason Knight and Festy Ebosele

England U18s - Morgan Whittaker 

Ireland U18s - Eiran Cashin and Jaden Charles

Ireland U17s - Harry Halwax

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/13-rams-set-for-international-action

I’m surprised Bird, Sibley, MacDonald and Wilson haven’t had call ups. They’ve played a lot of games already this season so maybe that’s why. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Darren Wassall has done a great job with our academy, largely thanks to the investment from Mel too!

It's currently within the top 3 at U23 level and top of the league at U18 level. They've got a great reputation for playing the game the right way, plus we're seeing the fruits of their labour at a first team level now. It's worth noting that we could have well played Thomas, Lowe, Elsnik & McAllistair had they been at the club and Bogle had he not been so important for the first team.

He gets a hard time for his brief time as manager, despite the fact he had the highest win percentage (aside from Mac 1) of any Derby manager in history with more than 15 games to their record. It's fair to say that he may well be very under appreciated by the majority of supporters with regards to his coaching ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snapped up soon enough. 

12 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

Well said, I'm surprised at how little attention our academy's success is drawing. To be in those positions in the leagues and decent progress in cups is staggering for a championship club. Almost all of the premier league clubs are hoovering up players at U18 and U23 levels from Europe and beyond and to be achieving so much against is fantastic.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree. Whilst there are a few regular posters who visit the academy and associated matchday threads, watch them on RamsTV,  attend under 23 and 18 matches where we cam, it does really surprise me that there is a large section of our membership who don't seem particularly interested in what is happening at this level. 

We are playing some of the best and richest academies in the country and are matching them for skill and beating them for teamwork and endeavour week in and week out. 

The football is so enjoyable to watch too and it makes me very excited for the club's future.

I suppose I should have posted this in the academy thread rather than here but just responding to your well-made point.

Just sneaking this thread of posts into the Academy thread in case people miss them in the match-specific Wolves one.

Edited by Carl Sagan

On 13/03/2019 at 20:49, FrostedRam said:

Kyle McAllister called up to the Scotland Under 21s 

Is this the lad who had a game or two for the seniors a while back, looked great then vanished, or am I confusing him with someone else? Did he get injured?

8 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Is this the lad who had a game or two for the seniors a while back, looked great then vanished, or am I confusing him with someone else? Did he get injured?

wasnt he injured when we signed him took awhile for him to recover lets hope he stays injury free

20 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Nah that’s craig Bryson, circa 2015 he vanished...👀

Joking aside, we bought McAllister thinking he had a minor injury but it turned out to keep him out for a year+ I think. Don’t think he’s ever made a first team appearance tho so dunno who you’re thinking of... elsnik did and then vanished?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Scotland U21s - Kyle McAllister

Slovenia U21s - Timi Elsnik and Sven Karic

Ireland U19s - Jason Knight and Festy Ebosele

England U18s - Morgan Whittaker 

Ireland U18s - Eiran Cashin and Jaden Charles

Ireland U17s - Harry Halwax

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/13-rams-set-for-international-action

I’m surprised Bird, Sibley, MacDonald and Wilson haven’t had call ups. They’ve played a lot of games already this season so maybe that’s why. 

I’m surprised Bogle hasn’t made any of the age group squads! He’d still be eligible for their U18’s I think, which seems ridiculous.

He’s probably slightly unfortunate England youth squads are quite stacked at right back