Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Who's this Jack Stretton lad?

Scored 4 against Newcastle and now 2 against Brighton

I believe he’s now the league’s top scorer with 11 goals in 7 games. Whittaker (I believe is playing as a left footed right forward/winger) has 5 in 7.

We may have also moved up to 4th place if Man Utd draw or lose their game against Newcastle. 

After inflicting Brighton's first defeat in the U23 league tonight, we've gone above them in the table:

We're also the only team to beat league leaders Everton. One thing that's noticeable is that no one's scored more that once for the U23s so far all season. It's good to see the goals shared about, but even better to see Jack Stretton make a late cameo this evening following his 11 goals in 7 U18 games so far this season.

image.png

56 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People on here seem obsessed with Stoke nowadays, yet have missed that the U18s beat the new enemy 2-0 a couple of days ago. 

For once Jack Stretton didn't score, the goals coming from Lee Buchanan and Tyree Wilson. That makes it six in a row unbeaten. Here's a match report

Posted in the Stoke thread

On 06/10/2018 at 12:55, David said:

We've recalled 19-year-old keeper Matt Yates (Dean's lad) from his loan spell at National League South Gloucester City. He's been playing well apparently, but there's talk of another loan being lined up for him, so perhaps he'll be moving up the pyramid.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-yates-derby-gloucester-loan-2098511

Might be fanciful thinking but I wonder whether the success of Jayden and to a lesser extent, Mason might inspire some of our better prospects from the youth teams. At least it's been made clear now that the new management team will give youth players a start if they show up well in the U23's and U18's rather than their paths being blocked by aging types. Bodes well for the future.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We've recalled 19-year-old keeper Matt Yates (Dean's lad) from his loan spell at National League South Gloucester City. He's been playing well apparently, but there's talk of another loan being lined up for him, so perhaps he'll be moving up the pyramid.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-yates-derby-gloucester-loan-2098511

I believe it's to Hereford because Gloucester's manager moved to them last week and is a fan of Yates 

Good to see some of the youngsters drafted in to train with the first team over the international break. Loiue Sibley definitely in there, but also someone else with squad number 42 who I'm not sure about - Joe Bateman or Cameron Cresswell or someone else altogether - what do you think? 

sibbo.jpg

cresswell.jpg

@angieram 100% that is Joe Bateman - bottom pic is easier to see if you zoom in. I can see why top pic made you think Cresswell though... must be his reshaped nose!

Also, Max Bird over his shoulder.

Nice to hear that George Evans is back too, wonder if we'll give him a run out against Chelsea with Bryson pushed into the Mount position?

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

@angieram 100% that is Joe Bateman - bottom pic is easier to see if you zoom in. I can see why top pic made you think Cresswell though... must be his reshaped nose!

Also, Max Bird over his shoulder.

Nice to hear that George Evans is back too, wonder if we'll give him a run out against Chelsea with Bryson pushed into the Mount position?

Thanks! My instinct said Joe but I didn't know he'd got a squad number. It's always easier to identify players from a video as you can recognise the way they move.

Yes, I think Max Bird is pretty much a regular even when there's a full squad.

I've only seen George Evans at Oldham (and those few minutes against Ipswich) but I was impressed with him in the cup game. It's so hard to judge based on the quality of the opposition that day and it's a big leap from Oldham to Chelsea but it would be great if he got his chance. Do we know for definite now that Mount and Tomori won't be allowed to play?

14 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

I believe it's to Hereford because Gloucester's manager moved to them last week and is a fan of Yates 

I know you probably don’t care much about non league clubs but this is very poor behaviour from Derby IMO. You loaned Gloucester a goalkeeper and agreed the loan until the end of the year, and now you recall and send back out on loan to a club at the same level, where our old manager is now in charge, leaving us without a keeper 2 days before a match? Clearly there is some relationship with Derby and our former manager, but if this was a loan deal between Football League clubs there would be outrage. If you genuinely needed Yates back or there was some other reason then fair enough but this is distasteful to say the least. Be interested to know your thoughts?

Just now, Gcram said:

I know you probably don’t care much about non league clubs but this is very poor behaviour from Derby IMO. You loaned Gloucester a goalkeeper and agreed the loan until the end of the year, and now you recall and send back out on loan to a club at the same level, where our old manager is now in charge, leaving us without a keeper 2 days before a match? Clearly there is some relationship with Derby and our former manager, but if this was a loan deal between Football League clubs there would be outrage. If you genuinely needed Yates back or there was some other reason then fair enough but this is distasteful to say the least. Be interested to know your thoughts?

I completely agree with you mate. In fact, similar happened to us a few years back; we were in good form with Jordon Ibe being a key part of that, then come January Liverpool recalled him leaving us in a bit of a mess as we rushed to replace him. He then barely kicked a ball for Liverpool and our form dropped massively, which obviously wasn't entirely down to Ibe's departure, but it certainly contributed to it. We were just a little bit more fortunate that between Prem and Football League clubs they can't recall loans loans until the transfer window whereas with non-league clubs it can be done whenever, so we got a few extra weeks out of him.

While you're here mate ... what's with Gloucester Live the newspaper? They spent the past year reporting Luke Thomas had agreed to sign for West Ham and that we'd agreed a fee and nothing ever happened, but they continued to report it for months on end. 

33 minutes ago, Gcram said:

Outrage? Distasteful? Very poor behavior?

You might be jumping to the conclusion or you might be not. "Problem" is that we don't know what the clubs have talked behind the scenes. Maybe Yates was not in your next manager plans? Or maybe your club got some financial advantage of this? We don't know and words you use are unnecessary and immature compared to the situation itself as the recall clause was included to contract.

Lot's of potential scenarios here and your biased one is just one of them. Only thing what is sure is that you need to get over your disappointment, whatever it was made by our club, your club and how much it was affected by the opinion of the young player himself.

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Outrage? Distasteful? Very poor behavior?

You might be jumping to the conclusion or you might be not. "Problem" is that we don't know what the clubs have talked behind the scenes. Maybe Yates was not in your next manager plans? Or maybe your club got some financial advantage of this? We don't know and words you use are unnecessary and immature compared to the situation itself as the recall clause was included to contract.

Lot's of potential scenarios here and your biased one is just one of them. Only thing what is sure is that you need to get over your disappointment, whatever it was made by our club, your club and how much it was affected by the opinion of the young player himself.

What’s goes on behind the scenes in non league football doesn’t stay private for long, rest assured I am confident about the situation and truth will out... its all very well having a recall clause but to send him straight back out to another club? Sorry, that’s just rude

Archived