Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to the Lincoln City vs Mansfield cup game tonight as I'm working over this way, completely forgot we had two academy lads on loan at these teams. Was a nice surprise, Gordon started RB for Lincoln and Elsnik in CM for Mansfield. 

Both struggled in the first half, especially Gordon who's touch and decision making was getting the backs up of the locals. Elsnik was tidy but playing far too deep to be of any use. 

Second half was a different story, Gordon was a good shout for their best player in the second half where Elsnik was playing much further forward and seeing a lot of the ball for Mansfield. Gordon and Lincoln's RM caused Mansfield some serious problems, the former's skill and pace especially. He whipped in a good couple of balls too but you've literally got to put it onto Matt Rhead's head or it will be a waste. Elsnik looked really classy on the ball, even more so when they brought more quality on from the bench in Tyler Walker. He just looks like he needs to be playing with better players though, there were numerous times tonight when he'd offload the ball to his CM partner or the striker, move into space asking for it and the move would either break down or he'd just be completely ignored. Really frustrating for him and me! 

A good night for them both in the end though, more so Timi as they hung on for the win. I thought I'd be saying that tonight was probably a notch down from the normal League 2 tempo being a checkatrade cup tie but it was anything but a stroll. I think I counted 8 yellows, 1 red and two mass brawls! Neither of our boys were involved in the riots although Elsnik did leave one on Gordon which drew a few smirks from them both. 

On 05/09/2018 at 00:28, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Always seems like such an intelligent and likeable lad to me, whenever I've heard him interviewed. I'd thought he might be one to kick on this season with the senior squad but in retrospect, another season of 1st team football will probably do him the world of good. Hopefully he'll be coming back to us a better player with that experience under his belt.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Always seems like such an intelligent and likeable lad to me, whenever I've heard him interviewed. I'd thought he might be one to kick on this season with the senior squad but in retrospect, another season of 1st team football will probably do him the world of good. Hopefully he'll be coming back to us a better player with that experience under his belt.

Feel sad seeing Timi back in League Two. It was clear we expected big things of him over the close season, so he was a big feature of the new kit launch, and seemed the new Academy hope. Then he had a slightly poor half-hour pre-season against Notts and we never saw him again. 

Very surprised a top League One or lower Championship team didn't come in for him. A feeling reinforced when Kellan Gordon has moved from being in Elsnik's shadow at Swindon last year to playing for Lincoln at the top of League One this. Maybe Timi's not demonstrated an ability to play week in, week out yet, and that's what he needs to do this year. Hope he hits 15+ goals from midfield, which he's more than capable of, so the management sits up and takes note. 

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Feel sad seeing Timi back in League Two. It was clear we expected big things of him over the close season, so he was a big feature of the new kit launch, and seemed the new Academy hope. Then he had a slightly poor half-hour pre-season against Notts and we never saw him again. 

Very surprised a top League One or lower Championship team didn't come in for him. A feeling reinforced when Kellan Gordon has moved from being in Elsnik's shadow at Swindon last year to playing for Lincoln at the top of League One this. Maybe Timi's not demonstrated an ability to play week in, week out yet, and that's what he needs to do this year. Hope he hits 15+ goals from midfield, which he's more than capable of, so the management sits up and takes note. 

Lincoln are at the top of League Two, but otherwise agree with all of that. There must be more to it than the Notts County game, but it still does feel as though that played a part. Thomas and Bogle had lit the place up in the first 45 mins, and it almost seemed like Elsnick was trying too hard to meet the weight of expectation.

Having said that, he still has plenty of time, and the new regime does appear to have a refreshing approach of judging players on their actual merits. Like Max Lowe, and Luke Thomas in fact, playing regularly at a lower level is perhaps a better fit for him than being a bit part bench warmer at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sounds like an amazing display for the U18s today with a 8-0 win over Newcastle.

Stretton has really impressed with his goals this season and it can’t be long until we see him in the U23s

Beat me to it. Thanks for the detail too. Does sound great. 

I watched it last night. PSG when they got into their stride were absolutely fantastic to watch - I'm sure there will be players who played in their side that make it at a top level, even if they don't make it at PSG. Derby, also, were very good and probably should have won on the night even if you could see that the individual ability wasn't at the same level in some of the players. 

Bird & Sibley have a genuine chance at a career here, especially next season once the contract situation is cleared up. Promotion to the Premier League will undoubtedly impact that, though. 

Archived