Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Carnero said:

All these outgoings... what are we looking at now then...

Barnes

Bateman, Wassall, Macdonald

Eyoma, Bird, Sibley, Karic

M-Lawson, Whittaker, Cresswell

(Pearce, Anya, Thorne, Butters)

Missed a few... Ravas, Hunt, Shonibare, Mcallister

Official site also includes Rashid (CB) and Wise (CM) as U23 players, so perhaps we may see more of them. 

I also expect Knight to claim a permanent spot in the U23s later this season. 

On 01/09/2018 at 09:41, Ghost of Clough said:

Missed a few... Ravas, Hunt, Shonibare, Mcallister

Official site also includes Rashid (CB) and Wise (CM) as U23 players, so perhaps we may see more of them. 

I also expect Knight to claim a permanent spot in the U23s later this season. 

Has Josh Shonibare actually signed for us or is he on trial?

Same question re: Zaid Al Hussaini?

On 31/08/2018 at 21:22, RoyMac5 said:

Odd how Wassall is still here, he's shown very little imo.

Here we go again Roy. I guess you didn't watch the game last night then?

Wassall was very good at the back and if it wasn't for him it could have been a lot worse. (so we will have to disagree again)

Sibley played a good game. Bird was the outstanding player.

George Thorne looked good in his vision and passing but did shy away from tackles, I think the injuries are having something to do with that and playing on his mind.

McAllister made an impact when he came on.

Eyoma ran around like a headless chicken and gave the ball away more times than I care to remember.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Here we go again Roy. I guess you didn't watch the game last night then?

Wassall was very good at the back and if it wasn't for him it could have been a lot worse. (so we will have to disagree again)

Sibley played a good game. Bird was the outstanding player.

George Thorne looked good in his vision and passing but did shy away from tackles, I think the injuries are having something to do with that and playing on his mind.

McAllister made an impact when he came on.

Eyoma ran around like a headless chicken and gave the ball away more times than I care to remember.

Yes I watched the game last night - from Menorca even. So where are we going again? I’ve got a different view on football to you? Very true. Young Walsall looks like he might make a solid Championship centre half, might. But he doesn’t have a lot about him on the ball - what else shines about him?

For me Sibley was the outstanding player, and George didn’t shy away from anything.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I watched the game last night - from Menorca even. So where are we going again? I’ve got a different view on football to you? Very true. Young Walsall looks like he might make a solid Championship centre half, might. But he doesn’t have a lot about him on the ball - what else shines about him?

For me Sibley was the outstanding player, and George didn’t shy away from anything.

The George of old got injured due to really getting stuck in. Last night most of the time he either went in tentatively or just shied away. Which is a pity as everything else is there.

Sibley did play well indeed , I just thought Bird had more composure. 

Wassell not only dug us out of some very dodgy situations but he was very assured on the ball. His passing found a Derby player 90% of the time, which couldn't be said of a few of them

It has been an extraordinarily summer for the u23s.

Just as we thought a few might be breaking through, we've seen the established team shredded.

Altho bogle and bennett are now on first team duty, it feels as though the first wave of academy products didn't produce as much as might have been expected.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just as we thought a few might be breaking through, we've seen the established team shredded.

Altho bogle and bennett are now on first team duty, it feels as though the first wave of academy products didn't produce as much as might have been expected.

Not sure that’s quite true.

quite a few have been in and around the first team. 2 are first team regulars.

3 I think it is have been sold so that’s what needs to happen to help fund things.

quite a few others have been loaned out with great promise. Thomas and Lowe being 2 that are on loan but are the furthest ahead. Just need some mans football now.

all in all quite successful really

Went to the game last night and really enjoyed it.

From what I saw Sibley looks talented but needs to calm down a little as he could easily have been sent off in the second half.

George looked much more mobile than he was towards the end of last season, I thought he did well and should be in contention along with Huddlestone for 1st team holding role.

McAllister look decent when he came on in the 2nd half but in truth we never really looked like scoring against a physical LCFC side.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

After Rowett's team of old crocks, I think it's extraordinarily good to have Bogle and Bennett in the squad, Bird in the League Cup squad with Lowe and Thomas obviously close, and Sibley in the wings.

Am also pleased for Alex Babos that someone's recognized his worth and he'll get to play in Spain - maybe Bale will even help him out, two Welsh boyos plying their trade there. The only disappointment is Elsnik's fall from grace where he's exiled to League Two for another year. 

Archived