Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

Max Bird is head of that queue, by virtue of midfield being our biggest problem, and probably the most physically suited as he's big and strong. He's also had some exposure to first XI football.

Would love to see Mitchell-Lawson up there, and Tyree Wilson. Electric players for the youth teams. 

Wonder what happens if Wilson comes in? He'd surely have to wear a blank shirt as he's under 18?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Max Bird is head of that queue, by virtue of midfield being our biggest problem, and probably the most physically suited as he's big and strong. He's also had some exposure to first XI football.

Would love to see Mitchell-Lawson up there, and Tyree Wilson. Electric players for the youth teams. 

Wonder what happens if Wilson comes in? He'd surely have to wear a blank shirt as he's under 18?

I imagine that only applies to youth kits (youth sides and kids replicas. As he'll be in the first team,he'll wear a sponsored shirt.

On 16/02/2019 at 17:56, Zag zig said:

My best mates lad dislocated his shoulder in the game, he’s so having a tough time with injuries at Boro. These sort of things can make or break a fledgling career.

Tell him to keep chin up look I have condation  that cure too but postive thinking will help.

Tell him to keep his shoulder warm maybe against a hot water bottle should help keep sawness at bay and help with pain a little bit.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Tell him to keep chin up look I have condation  that cure too but postive thinking will help.

Tell him to keep his shoulder warm maybe against a hot water bottle should help keep sawness at bay and help with pain a little bit.

You’re a good lad b4 he’s optimistic now. ?

It's that time of year when players start to be released and they look for pastures new. Two have gone today.

Henry Wise (son of Dennis) has gone as has winger Zaid Al Hussaini who's only been with us a year.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-duo-leave-club-2625150

Always a sad moment, but we have to remember very few from the academy make that final step up.

Scotland U21s - Kyle McAllister

Slovenia U21s - Timi Elsnik and Sven Karic

Ireland U19s - Jason Knight and Festy Ebosele

England U18s - Morgan Whittaker 

Ireland U18s - Eiran Cashin and Jaden Charles

Ireland U17s - Harry Halwax

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/13-rams-set-for-international-action

I’m surprised Bird, Sibley, MacDonald and Wilson haven’t had call ups. They’ve played a lot of games already this season so maybe that’s why. 

23 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Darren Wassall has done a great job with our academy, largely thanks to the investment from Mel too!

It's currently within the top 3 at U23 level and top of the league at U18 level. They've got a great reputation for playing the game the right way, plus we're seeing the fruits of their labour at a first team level now. It's worth noting that we could have well played Thomas, Lowe, Elsnik & McAllistair had they been at the club and Bogle had he not been so important for the first team.

He gets a hard time for his brief time as manager, despite the fact he had the highest win percentage (aside from Mac 1) of any Derby manager in history with more than 15 games to their record. It's fair to say that he may well be very under appreciated by the majority of supporters with regards to his coaching ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get snapped up soon enough. 

12 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

Well said, I'm surprised at how little attention our academy's success is drawing. To be in those positions in the leagues and decent progress in cups is staggering for a championship club. Almost all of the premier league clubs are hoovering up players at U18 and U23 levels from Europe and beyond and to be achieving so much against is fantastic.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree. Whilst there are a few regular posters who visit the academy and associated matchday threads, watch them on RamsTV,  attend under 23 and 18 matches where we cam, it does really surprise me that there is a large section of our membership who don't seem particularly interested in what is happening at this level. 

We are playing some of the best and richest academies in the country and are matching them for skill and beating them for teamwork and endeavour week in and week out. 

The football is so enjoyable to watch too and it makes me very excited for the club's future.

I suppose I should have posted this in the academy thread rather than here but just responding to your well-made point.

Just sneaking this thread of posts into the Academy thread in case people miss them in the match-specific Wolves one.

Archived