Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

Preseason friendlies have begun. Some players more familiar with the U23s started for the two first teams in the win against Notts County. They were:

Roos, Mitchell, Bogle, Lowe, Hanson, Elsnik, Thomas, Bennett. These guys are obviously in prime position to break through.

The U23s also had their first preseason match, a 1-1 draw away at National League North's Leamington. Alex Babos hit the post, Morgan Whittaker scored Derby's equalizer and the new boy from Arsenal, Aaron Eyoma played (as did Charles Vernam and Kellen Gordon who were playing League Two football last season). Lewis Walker is on trial at Chesterfield with a view to a loan move, so wan't involved.

Full team: Barnes, Karic, Macdonald, Bird, Bateman, Hunt, Eyoma, Knight, Vernam, Babos, Mitchell-Lawson.

Subs: Ravas (GK), Buchanan, Sibley, Gordon, Whittaker

No mention of Offrande Zanzala or Callum Guy in the report: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/derby-county-players-who-featured-1789550

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one not yet included is Kyle McAllister who we bought from Scotland where he was playing first team football but has been out injured for 18 months. He's still only 19, but it's tough to see how he can develop when he's not been able to play more than a few minutes at a time and says he's "not felt fully fit ever" and has always struggled with injury.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/07/mcallister-feeling-mentally-tougher-and-physically-stronger-than-ever

I'm sure he's a talent so it would be great if he can finally start to play games and then back-to-back games and so on.

On 16/07/2018 at 15:49, Carl Sagan said:

Another one not yet included is Kyle McAllister who we bought from Scotland where he was playing first team football but has been out injured for 18 months. He's still only 19, but it's tough to see how he can develop when he's not been able to play more than a few minutes at a time and says he's "not felt fully fit ever" and has always struggled with injury.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/07/mcallister-feeling-mentally-tougher-and-physically-stronger-than-ever

I'm sure he's a talent so it would be great if he can finally start to play games and then back-to-back games and so on.

Quite odd he says he has never felt 100% percent fit at any point in his career but our medical staff deemed it ok to spend 225k on him...he must be good.

Also, I wonder if Guy and Zanzala will get a chance tomorrow against Mansfield.

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Quite odd he says he has never felt 100% percent fit at any point in his career but our medical staff deemed it ok to spend 225k on him...he must be good.

Also, I wonder if Guy and Zanzala will get a chance tomorrow against Mansfield.

Unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A bit of a worry indeed.

The 45 minutes (15 + E/T) that I saw him for the U23's were certainly very promising, at the age of 19 he's definitely worth persevering with.

Any chance this thread can be pinned again this season? @David

Should be a better season than last. I don't think Lampard will have Rowett's bizarre attitude to keeping fringe first teamer's fit in the U23s, for one (which I suspect is due to the different system the U23s play - probably didn't want them getting any ideas about passing etc. ?). 

I don't expect us to loan so many out unless we're getting decent fees either.

Need to strengthen the defense though, especially if Bogle forces his way into Lampard's plans - we're incredibly light at the back.

Archived