2018 to 2020:How can England make the next step?

sage

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The merit of him is in his versatility. He can cover CB and CDM. It's also a fact that England lacks quality midfielders. I hope before the next world cup we have a few come through.

Wilshere can cover a deeper role and an advanced role too but you wouldn't want him in there solely on that?

Especially when we've got 5 centre backs in the squad (if we include Walker who clearly Southgate sees as a CB in this system) I just think we missed a trick having Dier in the squad. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wilshere can cover a deeper role and an advanced role too but you wouldn't want him in there solely on that?

Especially when we've got 5 centre backs in the squad (if we include Walker who clearly Southgate sees as a CB in this system) I just think we missed a trick having Dier in the squad. 

I think Wilshere has an attitude issue. That would be an obvious reason to leave him out, based on the squad togetherness we had.

On 14/07/2018 at 17:25, Grimbeard said:

How to take the next step? A cap on the number of non-British players at domestic level.

If we're truthful England's performances at this world cup have been fairly ordinary.  Nothing to do with 'heart' or 'desire'. Nothing to do with the coaching staff or the systems and tactics used, quite simply, the teams that are likely to reach finals have better players than England.

I don't believe other countries produce more intrinsically better players, but they are better at bringing those players through and getting the best out of them. Whilst ever our top division allows teams to be something like 70% non-English, then not enough young players will get a regular game and will therefore never fully realise the talent that they have.

At present, the pool of talent available for the English team is just not big enough.

Pretty much this.

Brexit might solve the problem as it is. 

Not sure how I'd implement it though. I'm not sure I want the leagues awash with B teams unless you charge the clubs a decent amount shared between other teams in that league. Say £30m entry fee for the championship, maximum of 4 sides, dropping to £10m for league 1 etc. Higher you finish you get to choose which first. That way teams could at least utilise/train their players as they wish rather than loaning them out to random teams. They would likely earn it back in terms of values. 

Or how about a single team in the championship restricted to loans of English players who aren't getting game time at their club. Managed and selected by the England management team. Somewhere that the cream of United, City, Chelsea etc can play regular competitive games whilst being trained the right way, and familiarising themselves with each other.

3 hours ago, Rample said:

Pretty much this.

Brexit might solve the problem as it is. 

Not sure how I'd implement it though. I'm not sure I want the leagues awash with B teams unless you charge the clubs a decent amount shared between other teams in that league. Say £30m entry fee for the championship, maximum of 4 sides, dropping to £10m for league 1 etc. Higher you finish you get to choose which first. That way teams could at least utilise/train their players as they wish rather than loaning them out to random teams. They would likely earn it back in terms of values. 

Or how about a single team in the championship restricted to loans of English players who aren't getting game time at their club. Managed and selected by the England management team. Somewhere that the cream of United, City, Chelsea etc can play regular competitive games whilst being trained the right way, and familiarising themselves with each other.

All sounds a bit complicated and not really going to help much. We need English players playing regularly in teams at the top of the Premier League and in European competitions, A simple overseas player cap will go a long way to help. No more than 4 overseas players in a matchday squad.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

All sounds a bit complicated and not really going to help much. We need English players playing regularly in teams at the top of the Premier League and in European competitions, A simple overseas player cap will go a long way to help. No more than 4 overseas players in a matchday squad.

Just like the Chinese teams then? Doesn't really seem to be helping their national side much though.

21 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I read somewhere that this is what they are doing in Russia. However its had an adverse effect. Russian players' price tags and salaries shot up because of the clubs need for a decent home grown player. This has also led to players becoming complacent as they know their place in the side is guaranteed.

Still, they exceeded expectations at the World Cup so they could be onto something. That or roids....

Archived