2018 to 2020:How can England make the next step?

sage

The 2020 European Championships will be played around Europe in 12 cities, with the semi finals and final at Wembley.

Having reached the semi final of the World Cup this summer, how can England get to the final in 2 years time?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being more flexible is a start. 3-5-2 generally worked well but when opposition managers(specifically the Colombia and Croatia managers) made tactical changes within the game, Southgate didn’t really change anything apart from personnel.

If we matched Croatia’s 4-3-3 we might have beaten them as it would have given us an extra body elsewhere. Was there any need for walker at centre back? 

The reason we switched to a back 3 in the first place is because smalling and Cahill weren’t good enough in a 2. Stones and the rise Maguire probably means we can afford to play a back 4 again.

I’d be looking to add more creative players into the squad like Grealish, foden, James Maddison, Sancho if their development goes as planned. Probably need another left back because young and rose won’t be reliable long term due to their age. Shaw’s leg break was frustrating because he was the natural long term English left back.

We need another easy route again. I can't see Spain and Germany losing on purpose like they did in this world cup to kindly allow England a route to the final. 

Then there's Italy. Obviously another team miles better than England that couldn't make Russia this year because Pelle had booked a lads holiday in Ibiza. They'll be back this time to smash England. 

Nah, England are an average side that will never win anything and I for one I'm looking forward to slagging them off for being flops if they exceed my expectations. 

49 minutes ago, Alpha said:

We need another easy route again. I can't see Spain and Germany losing on purpose like they did in this world cup to kindly allow England a route to the final. 

Then there's Italy. Obviously another team miles better than England that couldn't make Russia this year because Pelle had booked a lads holiday in Ibiza. They'll be back this time to smash England. 

Nah, England are an average side that will never win anything and I for one I'm looking forward to slagging them off for being flops if they exceed my expectations. 

I think if UEFA follow in FIFA's footsteps and let as many pub teams in the tournament as possible, then it would help us a lot.

Scotland would be a good start, then every time they play we can put the opposition's flag in our Twitter names.

Until you produce a player who can dictate the pace of the game and pick out a pass like a kroos, isco, pirlo, iniesta then not a chance you can win the world cup. 

Defensive solidarity, organisation, pace and power can only get you so far. The lack of ability in technical ability in englands squad was there to see this world cup 

20 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Until you produce a player who can dictate the pace of the game and pick out a pass like a kroos, isco, pirlo, iniesta then not a chance you can win the world cup. 

Defensive solidarity, organisation, pace and power can only get you so far. The lack of ability in technical ability in englands squad was there to see this world cup 

Well the thread is asking about the European Championships in 2 years time, not the World Cup.

And when that rolls around again, who knows which players we will have to choose from, can guarantee you one thing though, they'll be a lot better than the next batch of Iranians! ? 

4 years ago,

Jordan Pickford was out on loan at Carlisle United then Bradford City

Harry Maguire moved from League 1 Sheff Utd to Hull for £3m

John Stones had just joined Everton from Barnsley

Kieron Trippier was in the Championship with Burnley

Jesse Lingard was at Derby in the Championship 

Dele Alli was in League 1 playing for Dele Alli

Harry Kane nailed his place in the Spurs team scoring 21 goals

Marcus Rashford was a 16 year old, not yet broken into the U21s

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

What did you think when Leicester won the PL? Did you assume Chelsea, Man Utd etc would be as bad again the following season and Leicester would win it again? I mean, obviously they were all deliberately bad as well.

If you start with the team that reached the semi final

Kane

Sterling

Alli                                              Lingard

Young                                               Henderson                                        Trippier

Maguire                          Stones                        Walker

Pickford

We need to find 3 new players to add to this team.

Walker needs replacing with an actual CB. He makes too many mistakes and doesn't think like a CB as shown by the equalising goal on Wednesday. Perhaps Gomez will develop a little more.

Young isn't young. We need a pacy left footed player. Rose had barely played this year and will improve on Young, but I would hope Ssesegnon? or Bryan will come through.  

Lingard and Alli are too similar. We need a better passer in there to unlock defences like Wilshere/Hughes/Maddison or a box to box all round player like Gerrard, who could help Henderson out.

Croatia doubled up on our wing backs to tire Alli and Lingard out and isolate Henderson. We should have switched to a 442 or 4411 after 60 mins to stem the flow.  Having a more balanced midfield would help with this. 

13 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

What did you think when Leicester won the PL? Did you assume Chelsea, Man Utd etc would be as bad again the following season and Leicester would win it again? I mean, obviously they were all deliberately bad as well.

I would never ever suggest Leicester were lucky or got an easy route or their wins weren't winny enough or criticise that their goals came from here or there.

They finished where they deserved to finish. 

I wouldn't expect them to finish up there again because I didn't think they could maintain that level of football. 

Whereas I think England can get better. Leicester imo couldn't but Man City could go out and spend £100m. 

International football doesn't compare because clubs have budgets and pull factor. 

33 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Will Hughes

I think Loftus-Cheek’s a better version of him to be honest. Neither close to Modric though.

Wilshere is if he still has the legs, though I feel he may (already) need to just sit deep and spray now.

20 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think Loftus-Cheek’s a better version of him to be honest. Neither close to Modric though.

Wilshere is if he still has the legs, though I feel he may (already) need to just sit deep and spray now.

Wilshere close to Modric!? Seriously..!? Luka Modric has won the Champions League 4x, the Spanish League once, and the Spanish Cup once. Wilshere has 2 FA cups. Wilshere is the most overrated midfielder in English history, he dines out from one good game against Barcelona, and has proceeded to achieve little to nothing the rest of his career. How can you even compare the two? One is the best midfielder in the biggest club in world football, the other signed for West Ham ffs. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wilshere close to Modric!? Seriously..!? Luka Modric has won the Champions League 4x, the Spanish League once, and the Spanish Cup once. Wilshere has 2 FA cups. Wilshere is the most overrated midfielder in English history, he dines out from one good game against Barcelona, and has proceeded to achieve little to nothing the rest of his career. How can you even compare the two? One is the best midfielder in the biggest club in world football, the other signed for West Ham ffs. 

Football isn’t that black and white though, is it? 

Wilshere, at his peak, was/is absoloutely sublime. You can’t achieve a lot from the treatment table but nor does that define how good he is.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Football isn’t that black and white though, is it? 

Wilshere, at his peak, was/is absoloutely sublime. You can’t achieve a lot from the treatment table but nor does that define how good he is.

Tell me, exactly when was Wilshere's peak? I don't think he was ever ''sublime'' he was grossly overrated by the English press on the back of a good game vs Barcelona. I've not watched games where I thought ''Wilshere took over this game'' I have with Modric. Modric is a serial winner, and been at a top level for about 10 years. Wilshere had a few good months, to which even then his peak wasn't comparable to Modric. Modric will go down as one of the best midfielders of his generation, Wilshere will go down as a sicknote.

Archived