Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, DcfcJack said:

Well so far I’ve seen nothing to change my mind, If Lampard is a tactical genius and makes this team a success then I’ll have no problems admitting I was wrong, but at this moment, there really isn’t much to fill me with optimism.

There's actually nothing to fill you with pessimism either.

Not a lot has happened, except maybe some other teams have bought players who may or may not succeed.

You can view the situation as Frank taking his time and properly assessing his squad like a consummate pro.

Or, you can view it as Frank being clueless and  being out of his depth and not knowing what's he's doing.

If you were against the appointment, then that's fine adopting the latter position. 

But if you wanted him, then quite frankly you look like a....

JAckass.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season has been written off. This season starts four weeks tomorrow! I'm very positive about this season. I think there will be transfers in and out soon. I think Frank and his team are being very sensible in assessing all our players and I'm hoping we will get back to playing football to be proud of this season.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Not a lot has happened, except maybe some other teams have bought players who may or may not succeed.

You can view the situation as Frank taking his time and properly assessing his squad like a consummate pro.

Or, you can view it as Frank being clueless and  being out of his depth and not knowing what's he's doing.

If you were against the appointment, then that's fine adopting the latter position. 

JAckass.jpg

To be honest I was in favour of Lampard and of course still am, I don’t mean this post as a dig at Lampard, not at all, whoever we appointed out of the realistic candidates had a task on their hand by taking this job, no matter who we appointed we would still be in this situation of trying to offload high wage players and bring in and through some youth.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

JAckass.jpg

Thank you for this post. As I progressed through the thread from start to relegation, this was pretty much the response I was looking for.

I’d add only, for further context as to why there’s been no real activity evident is that it’s usually the case in World Cup years.

Isn’t it?

So, in this case, no news on activity is literally meaningless.

Forgive me, @Bris Vegas, I can’t recall whether you expressed an opinion, favourable or otherwise, on Derby taking a punt on Lampard or not.

But, whichever position you took on his appointment and our longer-term position, if this reflects a change in your outlook for THIS season, then you seriously need to calm down a little and recognise the issue there is within yourself. Your expectations and your impatience and, most importantly, how you can conclude that any season is a write off before it’s even close to kicking off.

If you’re determined to be a pessimist, I respect your decision to be that way inclined.

Indeed, I thought I’d assist you by showing you how the local betting agencies are assessing our prospects. Look who’s leap frogged us in the bookies’ eyes ? 

3FE6E27F-FDED-42CE-B162-1B7A626B8058.png

If you read my post, I said this isn’t Lampard’s fault at all. I’m more than happy to take a punt on him, but he has his hands tied and he’s taken on a group of players who can’t be budged until next summer.

This lot aren’t good enough. We massively overachieved last season, and our poor form from February onwards was more reflective of our true ability.

We can’t sign anyone. And we can’t budge anyone. Selling Vydra was our only hope of being able to really start the Lampard project but we haven’t found a buyer willing to pay more than what we paid for him.

We’re like stuck in limbo for 12 months. We can’t do anything, and given the age of our squad, the majority of then are in decline ability wise.

I’m all for a new project and bringing in younger players, building a squad little by little. But we can’t even do that until next summer.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If you read my post, I said this isn’t Lampard’s fault at all. I’m more than happy to take a punt on him, but he has his hands tied and he’s taken on a group of players who can’t be budged until next summer.

This lot aren’t good enough. We massively overachieved last season, and our poor form from February onwards was more reflective of our true ability.

We can’t sign anyone. And we can’t budge anyone. Selling Vydra was our only hope of being able to really start the Lampard project but we haven’t found a buyer willing to pay more than what we paid for him.

We’re like stuck in limbo for 12 months. We can’t do anything, and given the age of our squad, the majority of then are in decline ability wise.

I’m all for a new project and bringing in younger players, building a squad little by little. But we can’t even do that until next summer.

But what did you honestly expect might’ve happened by this time?

Your post suggests this is a change from what you’d previously anticipated.

Just now, EssendonRam said:

But what did you honestly expect might’ve happened by this time?

Your post suggests this is a change from what you’d previously anticipated.

I was really hoping we’d sell Vydra, and use the money to buy a few young players such as Glenn Kamara, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marcus Maddison, John Souttar etc.

Start the process. But we haven’t. We’re stuck.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was really hoping we’d sell Vydra, and use the money to buy a few young players such as Glenn Kamara, Hakeeb Adelakun, Marcus Maddison, John Souttar etc.

Start the process. But we haven’t. We’re stuck.

To be honest, until recent days (when Leeds pulled out due to “revised wage demands”), it seemed to me that we were trying to drum up more suitors to spark a bit of an auction. I’m not sure whether we might need to lower our expectations a little (but not by a Hughes-esque quantum....PLEASE) or whether Vydra needs to lower his demands but, either way, you’d expect that to happen. At which time, activity will start.

Who knows? Given incomings are more likely than not to be loans, perhaps we’ll end up retaining him and reducing the wage bill elsewhere?

28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The expected goals statistics also backs up your point, which had us finishing midtable much of the season. The thread below was when we were second at the time.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I didn’t realise the transfer window had closed already!! 

Oh and how come this group isn’t good enough yet we’ve added Martin, Bryson, Blackman, Butterfield, elsnick, Bennett, Lowe, bogle and Thomas to the fold, the latter 4 to give us some energy and only lost Weimann who had little end product.

if we don’t do any business between now and September and are at the bottom off the table having not scored then maybe it would be time to start the wrist slashing. Until then give it a rest and enjoy the sun and pre-season friendlies

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

An ageing squad only declining in ability

Championship rivals spending big and improving their squad

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

Well to write off a season before its started and before the transfer deadline has passed must take a peculiar brand of negativity. If nothing changes We will have Chris Martin and Craig Bryson back which will be like two new signings. Maybe three if George Thorne rediscovers his fitness. 

Archived