Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

An ageing squad only declining in ability

Championship rivals spending big and improving their squad

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

Some frightening thoughts, and I fear some may well be true, but there is one part I would disagree with:

I think we could build our team around George Thorne. First thing I'd be doing if I was the Derby manager is looking straight back to when we were at our best, and that was under that 4-3-3 under McClaren. Thorne was arguably key to everything in that system, certainly in regards to the defence and playing out through the midfield - and he's still at the club!

I'd write his name down on a team-sheet and go from there...

I can understand some of the trepidation, but I never understand half of the negativity that goes round before the season's even started.

This team year-on-year has competed for a top-6 place. The squad has arguably improved on a season ago due to the returning loans, and we've got some promising youngsters that are a year older and more experienced after loans of their own. That's not to mention that players that will come in. Don't panic, they will.

However, regardless of those reasons to be positive, who expected Cardiff to finish where they did last season? Who thought Preston would finish as high as they did? A season is full of unknowns, and the fact we've got an inexperienced manager ought not to count against us. A different style of football is coming, and it's going to be a fun ride, rather than a workmanlike stroll with the odd bump in the road that we had last season.

No season is a waste of time or a write-off. Especially when we've got a squad of players who have been perennially in and around the play-offs.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

my word , not even played the first friendly and the wrist slashers are out already, bet your looking forward to the annual new year meltdown so you can say i told you so , give the club and frank time and if you cant do us a favour and suffer in silence

Always thought this season would be a write off to be honest, well I thought we’d finish the lowest we have since clough anyway, aging squad, little financial backing and another new manager doesn’t fill me with hope.

1 minute ago, DcfcJack said:

Always thought this season would be a write off to be honest, well I thought we’d finish the lowest we have since clough anyway, aging squad, little financial backing and another new manager doesn’t fill me with hope.

welcome to Derby Frank , god help you if you dont beat Reading 6-0 in your first game , unbelievable

I'm more positive about this season than last. This time last year I'd already seen 4 months of Rowett's tactics. Of him sidelining Will Hughes then selling him off cheap.  Of him selling our top scorer.  Of him saying he wanted youth and high energy, then buying 30+ year olds.

Even if we sell no-one and buy no-one I'm more positive than last year.

16 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

welcome to Derby Frank , god help you if you dont beat Reading 6-0 in your first game , unbelievable

Well so far I’ve seen nothing to change my mind, If Lampard is a tactical genius and makes this team a success then I’ll have no problems admitting I was wrong, but at this moment, there really isn’t much to fill me with optimism.

20 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

my word , not even played the first friendly and the wrist slashers are out already, bet your looking forward to the annual new year meltdown so you can say i told you so , give the club and frank time and if you cant do us a favour and suffer in silence

Don't be too hard on Bris.  He's still really annoyed that Leeds have brought in Lord Pep's coaching deity...  He'll get over it in a few years time...

14 minutes ago, DcfcJack said:

Well so far I’ve seen nothing to change my mind, If Lampard is a tactical genius and makes this team a success then I’ll have no problems admitting I was wrong, but at this moment, there really isn’t much to fill me with optimism.

How is that possible we havnt seen anything yet apart from a few blokes running round cones

Well I try to enjoy each and every day unlike some it seems 

we have the same as last season currently with about five or six very good loan players returning and available 

good - Martin Bryson Elsnick lowe Bennett 

average - blackman Butterfield 

8 minutes ago, Ramet said:

How is that possible we havnt seen anything yet apart from a few blokes running round cones

No new signings to freshen up the aging squad in the main thing, don’t think we can place all our trust on the same players who haven’t done it over the past few seasons.

15 minutes ago, DcfcJack said:

No new signings to freshen up the aging squad in the main thing, don’t think we can place all our trust on the same players who haven’t done it over the past few seasons.

I know what you mean just seems a bit daft as we have a new coaching team with new ideas and with the loanees coming back plus a few very talented lads coming from the youth it is alltogether a new team.

Archived