DCFC Website / DET

drgoodspeak

One of my website pet hates is when videos play automatically; but ok, it's not usually a disaster to click once to stop the video on the DCFC website playing. 

However, when you close the video window and that f music is still playing, irritation levels rise.

This morning I was trying to watch the Shay Given interview and there was no sound, just that infernal music playing still!

Come on DCFC. I think I know whether I want to buy a replica shirt or not, and also know that there is a home shirt and and an away shirt. You don't have to keep telling me. Any fans out there that don't know this?

I visit the official site more now as I binned ever looking at the DET website a couple of months ago and feel wonderfully cleansed. In fact, I check newsnow daily and whenever there's a DET article on DCFC posted, it alerts me to that fact that there is a new article on the official website, as that is all the DET does now, just churn out bite-sized pieces of official news. The arrangement works well!

Local media is truly dead. I live in Leeds and the Yorkshire Evening Post is as much as a car crash as the DET, if not worse. Can't speak for their sport coverage though, how would I know?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

One of my website pet hates is when videos play automatically; but ok, it's not usually a disaster to click once to stop the video on the DCFC website playing. 

However, when you close the video window and that f music is still playing, irritation levels rise.

This morning I was trying to watch the Shay Given interview and there was no sound, just that infernal music playing still!

Come on DCFC. I think I know whether I want to buy a replica shirt or not, and also know that there is a home shirt and and an away shirt. You don't have to keep telling me. Any fans out there that don't know this?

I visit the official site more now as I binned ever looking at the DET website a couple of months ago and feel wonderfully cleansed. In fact, I check newsnow daily and whenever there's a DET article on DCFC posted, it alerts me to that fact that there is a new article on the official website, as that is all the DET does now, just churn out bite-sized pieces of official news. The arrangement works well!

Local media is truly dead. I live in Leeds and the Yorkshire Evening Post is as much as a car crash as the DET, if not worse. Can't speak for their sport coverage though, how would I know?

On DCFC: Pause it before you close it. 

I recognise it could get annoying if you go on the site once a week and read through every new article, but as someone who goes on the moment something new is on there, it's just a simple "click pause, click the X" and then I'm away reading / watching.

Sure it would be better if it didn't happen but it's only a couple of seconds.

On DET: They can go duck themselves. Not looked at that site in the best part of a year, unfollowed DET twitter and Nicholson. Everything's much nicer.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

On DCFC: Pause it before you close it. 

I recognise it could get annoying if you go on the site once a week and read through every new article, but as someone who goes on the moment something new is on there, it's just a simple "click pause, click the X" and then I'm away reading / watching.

Sure it would be better if it didn't happen but it's only a couple of seconds.

On DET: They can go duck themselves. Not looked at that site in the best part of a year, unfollowed DET twitter and Nicholson. Everything's much nicer.

Yeah, as I say, that usually works fine. However this morning it was definitely "ducked".

Just now, drgoodspeak said:

Yeah, as I say, that usually works fine. However this morning it was definitely "ducked".

Fair enough. I also use adblocked browsers (and just monetarily support content providers that I care about), so I don't know if that has an effect. 

6 hours ago, David said:

All of them.

And people that use them don’t deserve to have the internet.

I love them, but unfortunately the bad sites spoil the ad revenue for the good sites , what about Patreon or something similar is there any way you could obtain some revenue via those sources, where people can directly fund 

8 hours ago, JG400 said:

I love them, but unfortunately the bad sites spoil the ad revenue for the good sites , what about Patreon or something similar is there any way you could obtain some revenue via those sources, where people can directly fund 

They don’t just spoil them they knock them offline. Imagine having to be a paid subscriber or patron to every website you use, to borrow a phrase from an ex manager, that’s the reality we’re facing.

I’m not naive to think my words can make people click uninstall on those blockers, most will scroll past without a second thought, a little respect though would be nice though.

When people use this platform which is funded through adverts to openly discuss and advise others on which plugins to use that harm this site as a result, the next day say how great this forum is and question others existence. Words fail me.

Enjoy watching RamsTV content? Think of dismissing that little video popup as saying thank you, showing your appreciation and support to the club you love. 

Nobody likes to be advertised to, I understand that, but you just have to remember those little adverts are what keeps a large number of websites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat online. 

How do you deal with those that go to far where the ad to content ratio you feel is all wrong, a game of try and spot the content? No longer visit, take your clicks elsewhere. 

Thats my thoughts anyhow. 

2 hours ago, David said:

They don’t just spoil them they knock them offline. Imagine having to be a paid subscriber or patron to every website you use, to borrow a phrase from an ex manager, that’s the reality we’re facing.

I’m not naive to think my words can make people click uninstall on those blockers, most will scroll past without a second thought, a little respect though would be nice though.

When people use this platform which is funded through adverts to openly discuss and advise others on which plugins to use that harm this site as a result, the next day say how great this forum is and question others existence. Words fail me.

Enjoy watching RamsTV content? Think of dismissing that little video popup as saying thank you, showing your appreciation and support to the club you love. 

Nobody likes to be advertised to, I understand that, but you just have to remember those little adverts are what keeps a large number of websites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat online. 

How do you deal with those that go to far where the ad to content ratio you feel is all wrong, a game of try and spot the content? No longer visit, take your clicks elsewhere. 

I try and give money directly to sites / creators I care about (like this one) while running adblock. I understand there are folks that don't while still running adblock but there would be far less of them if less sites took the complete piss like local newspaper sites.

3 hours ago, David said:

Forgive the stupid question David, but just to distract you from Boycie's backside, if I were to click on any of the dcfcfans adverts, does that help dcfcfans in any way?

At present I have an advert for office space (I'm retired) and one for ski holidays (I don't) on my page. If I click on either would the page benefit?

15 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Forgive the stupid question David, but just to distract you from Boycie's backside, if I were to click on any of the dcfcfans adverts, does that help dcfcfans in any way?

At present I have an advert for office space (I'm retired) and one for ski holidays (I don't) on my page. If I click on either would the page benefit?

Just viewing ads, scrolling past without clicking helps us, only need to be seen which is where ad blockers hurt sites.

If the advert is of genuine interest to you of course, take a look, but no, randomly clicking adverts won’t help us.

33 minutes ago, David said:

Just viewing ads, scrolling past without clicking helps us, only need to be seen which is where ad blockers hurt sites.

If the advert is of genuine interest to you of course, take a look, but no, randomly clicking adverts won’t help us.

Ah, thought you might benefit from click thru’s, I’ll stop then before l buy a new car l can’t afford! ?

Archived