Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Good little video from an Ipswich fan about him here: 

To summarise for those too lazy to watch:

• Started the season out wide and racked up a decent number of goals there
  • Due to injuries he'd been used on the right, left and even behind the forward before cementing himself as their main striker
  • Very good at set pieces, but through his technique it's high risk - high reward. He smashes them in so he'll either hit the first man or end up putting in a ball that's almost impossible to defend
  • Not amazing in the air and not blessed with ridiculous pace, but they're good enough to do the job. He has a very good footballing brain and an unbelievable left foot
  • He's very direct. Upon receiving the ball he would almost always get off an early shot or try playing someone in, no going backwards and slowing the play down
  • He had a small period last season he went without scoring, but he was still key for them. He isn't the type of player to go missing when the team as a whole isn't playing well, so he's very reliable
  • This Ipswich fan thinks he'd be most useful in our system in the striker spot, but thinks he'd do a decent job in any spot in the front 3
  • Even if he's having an off day shooting and passing wise, his head won't drop and he won't shy away, he'll still give his all

Sounds like a versitile vydra

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Ok, confession time. I’ve been a bit doubtful of this one, mainly on the basis that he seems to have been around for donkey’s years without ever achieving much. Turns out I was confusing him with Nigel Gleghorn. Now I have my facts straight, and realise they are two completely different people (almost 30 years apart in age!) I feel much better about the whole thing. Quality signing.

Very honest of you and, in that spirit, I’d like to confess I had merged him with Duncan Whatmore.

It's just struck me that Waghorn is essentially Mason Bennett with a few more years experience and a bit more technique.

They're similar in size and stature, the way they throw themselves about on the pitch, work hard, and would want to play up top, but can play in wide positions.

Hopefully Mason will be able to learn plenty from him as a bit of an understudy.

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If he can receive the ball in to his feet and hold it up long enough to bring the likes of Lawrence, Mount and Bryson in to play we could be seriously dangerous this season.

I'm sure we used to have a bloke that did that sort of thing not so long ago, can't think of his name though.  Erm, Chris something?

Ten years is a lot and what’s the ‘y’ on the end of his surname? Thought it was Waghorn, with Waggy as a nickname. 

The chant could go something along the lines of:

ohhhh, waggy, waggy,

waggy, waggy, waggy, wagggy

waggy horn,

Repeat numerous times over. 

1 hour ago, thederbyram said:

It's just struck me that Waghorn is essentially Mason Bennett with a few more years experience and a bit more technique.

Technique?

(now where's that GIF of the cross for Lawrence's goal last week?...)

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

Ten years is a lot and what’s the ‘y’ on the end of his surname? Thought it was Waghorn, with Waggy as a nickname. 

The chant could go something along the lines of:

ohhhh, waggy, waggy,

waggy, waggy, waggy, wagggy

waggy horn,

Repeat numerous times over. 

How long did it take you to come up with that????? 

Pleased in a sense this issue is done with.   Seemed to drag on a little too much and maybe the agreed price is satisfactory.    Five million to begin with and further amounts to arrive if correct.      Pity is, it leaves us without a recognized forward going into the fall.    Yeah we got other attacking options available but believe me they're not really up to much.     Bringing in some new faces to cover other areas of the squad but Hurst is raiding his old club Shrewsbury for additions.   Bottom line not really enthralled about the way we're doing business right now although some of the fanbase seem content enough.

I'd wish Waghorn well at Derby County but he's no longer our player, not our concern.   Yes he leaves a considerable void that requires suitable replacement but time is running out in the transfer opportunity to find someone reliable.   Be interesting to see how Waghorn fits in with you, obviously he possesses a desire to be part of a team that can compete, a greater chance of achievement.   No hard feelings. 

Archived