Harry Wilson - Signed on a season long loan

DCFC1388

We can't knock Wilson's impact overall - I mean he's our top goalscorer this season. He's a young player that looks to be developing backwards though, normally you tend to get players who refine their all round game before doing the difficult stuff, i.e. putting the ball in the net. He's learnt to put the ball in the net, at a very good rate for a winger/centre mid at this level, but the rest of his game needs help. 

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. I think the rest of his game will follow on, but he faces an interesting summer. I could definitely see Premier League clubs interested in buying him, but not at the £25m spoken about in the press. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for £15-20m though. 

I don't think he will be back here, ultimately I don't think that's the biggest loss for us but we will need to replace his goal output. He's still one of the best loan players we've had at Derby and I'll definitely support him wherever he goes. I think he has a high ceiling, but out of the three players, is the most likely not to achieve it. 

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 repeat 18 goals ; how many assists and then factor in the boy gets kicked from pillar to post most games ,second most fouled player in the division , the lad is quality and better than some on here realise ,he will shine in the right prem team

4 hours ago, erathirea said:

Currently 6/4 favourites to sign for Derby before the start of next season... (loans count). I mean, I know it's lazy, but it's still nice.

At this moment, with the season not even finished yet (Champs League final), we will be front runners due to our interest for a little while longer. It will not stay that way, as clubs start to get linked to him

I feel he's better as a CM, forces him to be less selfish and more team oriented than playing as a forward. At least that's my theory.

He certainly has good penetrative runs, but you can't be successful with that every time. He also has good awareness of where his team mates are when passing as well as making excellent runs into space, which he should utilise more. He's deffo a good prospect, no doubt he'll make it in the premier League if not with Liverpool.

On 30/05/2019 at 14:56, Archied said:

18 repeat 18 goals ; how many assists and then factor in the boy gets kicked from pillar to post most games ,second most fouled player in the division , the lad is quality and better than some on here realise ,he will shine in the right prem team

Outstanding return.

Average all round player.

He was the most fouled because you only need to look at him for him to go down. His diving was embarrassing at times.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Outstanding return.

He was the most fouled because you only need to look at him for him to go down. His diving was embarrassing at times.

That's very unfair. When Mount was injured teams were doubling up on him as they thought he was our only creative output. He was getting kicked all over the place, on the ball and off the ball.

You cannot ignore his goal return for a midfielder and we don't have anyone in the squad who can match that.  

He's a lot more than an average all round player at this level. Yes he'd go missing in games but what do you expect in a 46 game season?

He's done really well.

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

That's very unfair. When Mount was injured teams were doubling up on him as they thought he was our only creative output. He was getting kicked all over the place, on the ball and off the ball.

You cannot ignore his goal return for a midfielder and we don't have anyone in the squad who can match that.  

He's a lot more than an average all round player at this level. Yes he'd go missing in games but what do you expect in a 46 game season?

He's done really well.

It's a game of opinions.

His goal return was phenomenal, no denying that.

Just wasn't impressed with his all round game. 

There were a few games where the play between him and Mount was exquisite but it was not kept up consistently. 

For a winger being touted around at £25m I would certainly expect more than 3 assists over a 46 game season. Mason Bennett got 4 assists with much less game time.

No drama, he was useful for us in his loan season but I'd be surprised to see him make an impact at Premier League level unless he ups his game considerably. 

Wish him good luck though and happy for him to prove me wrong!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Outstanding return.

If he has an outstanding goal record and an average all-round game, surely that makes him a very good player at this level? Anyway. I'd dispute the 'average' tag because he was great at winning free kicks, which is undeniably a skill, and his passing and vision was excellent at times. Just look at Mason Mount's goal at Leeds.

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

If he has an outstanding goal record and an average all-round game, surely that makes him a very good player at this level? Anyway. I'd dispute the 'average' tag because he was great at winning free kicks, which is undeniably a skill, and his passing and vision was excellent at times. Just look at Mason Mount's goal at Leeds.

We're obviously from a different era, getting a free kick is something that happens, not something that you look for and certainly isn't a skill (although I admit getting in positions to win free kicks is).

As I said, some of his play with Mount was exquisite but didn't see enough of it.

Wilson is getting absolutely hammered for his performance today. He really has been off it the last few months, aside from set pieces he seems to have regressed. Shame, although it makes it more interesting to see where he ends up. 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Wilson is getting absolutely hammered for his performance today. He really has been off it the last few months, aside from set pieces he seems to have regressed. Shame, although it makes it more interesting to see where he ends up. 

Wales were playing him right wing though when I listened. Not sure that was his best position for us.

17 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Wales were playing him right wing though when I listened. Not sure that was his best position for us.

Started CF (had one half chance but hit it straight at the keeper), then moved to RW (created a half chance which was hit straight at the keeper). He was seemingly pulled down on the edge of the Croatia box just seconds before the first goal. 

I watched match this afternoon and he indeed didn't play well, but the most of the Wales squad didn't play well altogether.

The only excuse which I can give them for the performance, it was a very hot day (30 C) with a lot of humidity in the air.

Archived