Sell to buy?

northantsram

34 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

When did I do that? I specifically said that Hudds was class. 

Talk about taking one comment and then taking it the extreme. At £7m he needs to be more than promising. I don’t rate him - have no problem with young players

Only when you take stupid liberties with it

How do you know I don’t? You jump to some fairly big conclusions youth. 

Kinell. He’s too inconsistent for the money we paid. Is that clearer? 

Again, wtf. What tech ability does he show? Poor crosses? Poor corners? 

Yeah, comments like this where you take a little moan and blow it out of proportion - that’s the Derby way.  

I’m not a moaner - far from it but I don’t rate Lawrence. No problem at all with the older players (generally our best players) and I hope Lawrence proves me wrong - especially if he plays more centrally where he should get more of the ball. 

Honestly, posters like you who try to shout others down... Rather than just have a sensible debate you turn into Piers F'ing Morgan by taking one point and turning into a totally different one. <sigh>

Do you want to borrow some tissues?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I do think there's some element of sell to buy - I don't think its headline figures that are the issue, more a strong desire to have a more sustainable squad size, and therefore sustainable wage bill.

Of course, the two do go hand in hand to some extent, you'd expect someone signing for £10m to have a bigger wage than someone signing for £5m, but equally, you could pay a 32 year old free agent more p/w than the paid for signings...

4 hours ago, RaichCarter said:

When did I do that? I specifically said that Hudds was class. 

Talk about taking one comment and then taking it the extreme. At £7m he needs to be more than promising. I don’t rate him - have no problem with young players

Only when you take stupid liberties with it

How do you know I don’t? You jump to some fairly big conclusions youth. 

Kinell. He’s too inconsistent for the money we paid. Is that clearer? 

Again, wtf. What tech ability does he show? Poor crosses? Poor corners? 

Yeah, comments like this where you take a little moan and blow it out of proportion - that’s the Derby way.  

I’m not a moaner - far from it but I don’t rate Lawrence. No problem at all with the older players (generally our best players) and I hope Lawrence proves me wrong - especially if he plays more centrally where he should get more of the ball. 

Honestly, posters like you who try to shout others down... Rather than just have a sensible debate you turn into Piers F'ing Morgan by taking one point and turning into a totally different one. <sigh>

The player Ipswich attribute to keeping their league status the previous season and you don't rate him because a poor manager used him as a whippet rather than the brilliant player (at this level) that he showed he is... 

£7m (not entirely sure that was the cost without add ons) isn't the eye watering fee it used to be. We spent £8m on Vydra who looked GARBAGE until last season but it seems you've written off our only player who has enough about him to take the ball and try something with it. 

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

£7m (not entirely sure that was the cost without add ons) isn't the eye watering fee it used to be

Rowett said during the season that his basic fee was something like £4.8m

I like this sell to buy idea.

next time i go to sainsbury's i think i'll take some unwanted books along or an old chair to sell first.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

The player Ipswich attribute to keeping their league status the previous season and you don't rate him because a poor manager used him as a whippet rather than the brilliant player (at this level) that he showed he is... 

£7m (not entirely sure that was the cost without add ons) isn't the eye watering fee it used to be. We spent £8m on Vydra who looked GARBAGE until last season but it seems you've written off our only player who has enough about him to take the ball and try something with it. 

Do you go the games? Seriously, do you? Hudds is the guy that does all of that. Lawrence just isn’t. He might be and perhaps played differently he will but I’ve not seen enough to have him in my ‘must keep’ pile. He might have been that guy at Ipswich but he certainly isn’t at Derby. 

2 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Do you go the games? Seriously, do you? Hudds is the guy that does all of that. Lawrence just isn’t. He might be and perhaps played differently he will but I’ve not seen enough to have him in my ‘must keep’ pile. He might have been that guy at Ipswich but he certainly isn’t at Derby. 

You don't think it's down to the way Rowett played him?! 

ps what is the 'all of that' that Hudds does?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You don't think it's down to the way Rowett played him?! 

ps what is the 'all of that' that Hudds does?

He was better centrally but he frustrates me in his shrugging, negative body language and seems to get an inordinate amount of praise. He’s 24 - not 18 so all of this talk about ‘promising’ is a bit over-stated for me  

PS In response to Ilson ‘our only player who has enough about him to take the ball and try something with it.’ was my Hudds comment. 

Just now, RaichCarter said:

PS In response to Ilson ‘our only player who has enough about him to take the ball and try something with it.’ was my Hudds comment. 

The way Rowett set us up that wasn't difficult, he was the only 'creative mid' and we set up to pump it down the channels/the field. Hope we see very little of that next season and then what will Hudds do?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The way Rowett set us up that wasn't difficult, he was the only 'creative mid' and we set up to pump it down the channels/the field. Hope we see very little of that next season and then what will Hudds do?

He got much better defensively as the season progressed and good players like him (8 seasons at Spurs...) will fit in any system. Hudds will be a key player regardless of how we play imo. 

Time will tell. 

51 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Only the 30 last season... maybe my eyes were closed but thought I saw a flair player being asked to do doggies and his closest player being 40 yards away when he had the ball in the oppositions half.

not having him in your must keep pile is a world away from what you originally wrote about him.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Only the 30 last season... maybe my eyes were closed but thought I saw a flair player being asked to do doggies and his closest player being 40 yards away when he had the ball in the oppositions half.

not having him in your must keep pile is a world away from what you originally wrote about him.

Kinell dude - can I say anything right? I don’t rate him. And he frustrates me. That clearly isn’t ok with you but opinions are like clitorisis’...

Just now, RaichCarter said:

Kinell dude - can I say anything right? I don’t rate him. And he frustrates me. That clearly isn’t ok with you but opinions are like clitorisis’...

Nah I could well get in board with you saying you were disappointed with him last season and I’m sure he’d think the season was disappointing. It’s fine not to rate someOne but to accuse them of being mardy and prancing around isn’t fair when he was being ordered to chase back all game. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Nah I could well get in board with you saying you were disappointed with him last season and I’m sure he’d think the season was disappointing. It’s fine not to rate someOne but to accuse them of being mardy and prancing around isn’t fair when he was being ordered to chase back all game. 

But it’s ok for him to be ‘must keep’? 

All players need to chase back or press at times. Especially in the Champioship. He’s nowhere near good enough to build a team around so why should he be allowed to be a luxury player - Asanovic he ain’t. Not fit to lace one of his boots.

He does prance! He has this weird knees up thing going on. Once you see it you’ll never be able to unsee it. 

If we play 4-3-3, we will then see the best of Huddlestone, I’m almost convinced of that. Likewise, we will also see the best of Thorne. Both of these players rely on runners with their passing ability.

I’m not surprised that Thorne was poor last season as a formation such as 4-2-3-1 generally hampers players with technical ability as there is less room for movement. Meanwhile, whilst Huddlestone did well, he would do even better in 4-3-3 with energy around him.

The great Johan Cruyff said that with formations such as 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 are not good if you want to play attacking possession football because there less opportunities to form triangles to allow passing and movement. He said that formations like 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 are the best if a team wants to play attacking football to suit players of technical quality. If the great man said this, it’s surely something to consider as to why our players couldn’t dominate games last season, meanwhile under McClaren, we dominated most games, where we played 4-3-3.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Huddlestone will be a key player for Derby next season.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:04, rammieib said:

The player is probably happy - he lives in Lichfield, has three kids (at school), him and his wife has just opened a fitness shop in their home area etc.

I also don't see Brighton selling Matty Ryan so not sure why this one has come about?

Carson may be at an age now where money isn't a deciding factor for him and happiness is.

Shilton was nearly 38 when he made his debut for Derby and nearly 42 when he left based on that Carson has 10 years left here.

So 10 Million it is then.

Archived