Scott Carson - Signed for Man City on loan

Topram

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Loaning Harrison and White will have made a few quid for Leeds

They’ve got promotion yes , but if we don’t go up we’ll be in same position the season after needing a keeper ? ?unless it’s loan to buy 

18 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

They’ve got promotion yes , but if we don’t go up we’ll be in same position the season after needing a keeper ? ?unless it’s loan to buy 

It's chicken and egg here... the kind of player we need to get out of this division is likely only available on loan (then possibly permanent). 

If a keeper on loan would be a multiple improvement on what we could buy then it works. 

I'd say look at pretty much every promoted team for the past few years and they've got a loan player that made a difference:

Leeds: White

Villa: Abraham 

West Brom: the West Ham winger whose name evades me

Wolves: take your pick, most their team was on loan. 

22 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

It's chicken and egg here... the kind of player we need to get out of this division is likely only available on loan (then possibly permanent). 

If a keeper on loan would be a multiple improvement on what we could buy then it works. 

I'd say look at pretty much every promoted team for the past few years and they've got a loan player that made a difference:

West Ham winger is Diangana who very nearly joined us so shows the type of player Cocu was targetting for us.

Also, Villa had Mings on loan too.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Don't know if a transfer is chicken and loan egg, but egg certainly was earlier.

image.png.d7fe17094fedb96008f087a38bd26d79.png

4 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Talking of Jack Harrison on loan, we could do worse! Haven't heard anything about Leeds making the deal permanent... and can't see him being in Man City's 1st team plans.

Pretty sure he signed permanent mid-season.

Correction: 

Leeds have agreed another loan deal for Jack Harrison next season, although the price of a permanent deal has reportedly gone up.

The newly-crowned Championship winners had an option to make the winger’s deal a permanent one for a reported £8m. However, it is now claimed they will have to pay £10m if they want to sign next summer.

Athletic journalist Phil Hay revealed in a fan Q&A that ‘kicking the option down the road for another year’ will cost Leeds around £2m

@Black ('n' White) Sheep

On 23/07/2020 at 19:31, Wolfie20 said:

Loaning Harrison and White will have made a few quid for Leeds

Well put.

Simply, the right permanent signing isn’t always there so you may as well kick the tyres and get in a loanee. As mentioned above, it’s a recipe for success and a lot of teams that go up have a blend of their own academy players, signings and loanees.

The way we’re heading, we’ll have a solid core the next few years but we’re not going to be able to really splash big on a marquee signing, ie a striker.

You simply need loan signings to put you over the top in this division, it’s not complicated.

One year of Harry Wilson has done way more for our promotion hopes than three years of Tom Lawrence ever has.

22 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

You simply need loan signings to put you over the top in this division, it’s not complicated.

I agree. Swansea bought in some pretty impressive loanees in January  (Guehi, Wilmot, Gallagher, Brewster) and it certainly boosted their late season form.

14 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I agree. Swansea bought in some pretty impressive loanees in January  (Guehi, Wilmot, Gallagher, Brewster) and it certainly boosted their late season form.

Yeah but they didn’t get in the play offs, did they? Oh, hang on a second Mrs Ilkley's saying something............

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

And my assumption is you’ll never see Brewster playing at this level again.

On Swansea’s budget they could have spent 4/5 years signing strikers before getting anyone else near that quality.

And the thing is, as temporary as loans are, there’s always the next one off the conveyor belt. Liverpool, Chelsea etc have more players available every year, everyone grabs a couple and hopes they get lucky.

A lot of players went out on loan in January but if the premiership clubs had known that they could have had 9 subs later on I suspect a lot of them wouldn’t have. That may impact next season in terms of loans from premiership clubs especially if championship clubs can’t afford loan fees and wages 

22 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

We didn't get promoted, but there is no way any Championship side (unless parachute payments) could afford to buy the likes of Mount, Wilson or Tomori for example. They made such a difference to our side that year and it could only happen as loans. Our youth players aren't going to be able to fill every spot in the team for now and I wouldn't imagine our budget is particularly large, so good loans could make the difference for us next season.

Sith Happens
On 23/07/2020 at 17:28, therealhantsram said:

New Post covid World. Can't see anyone in Championship paying any fees unless they have parachute payments. 

they will,  in time,  didn't this happen before when itv digital collapsed ?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived