Scott Carson - Signed for Man City on loan

Topram

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Millenniumram said:

Shocked we’d let Carson go out on loan without any fee for it, mental move, especially with all the money city have. Would expect the wages to be covered whichever way up, would think we’d be able to drag a loan fee out of them.

They'd just pick up a different old English GK 

If Carson's gonna be our #2 anyway; getting rid of his wages is a very astute move. I don't like the idea of paying that amount of money to a backup GK.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Shocked we’d let Carson go out on loan without any fee for it, mental move, especially with all the money city have. Would expect the wages to be covered whichever way up, would think we’d be able to drag a loan fee out of them.

I'm not so sure. I can't imagine that City were bothered enough about getting it over the line to be held to ransom by us - they could pretty much sign anyone. I think the issue was always that he was one of our higher earners so getting wages off the book may actually be more important.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Do you really think we didn’t try? ?

Not like they’ve said to us “here you are have £1m loan fee” and we’ve said “no no don’t be silly, have him for free.”

He’s probably on £20k a week at the very minimum, if the alternative to not letting him go is having that sit on our bench why on earth would we say no over a loan fee

Just now, Squid said:

If it is Vorm, it'd first of all make sense (Free agent, can sign outside of window, no time constraints/pressure) and second, I am a genius and Mel Morris reads this forum..

You are just trying to vorm yourself into favour with Mel. Get in the queue, Squid. Let us hope that Mel is about to splash a few squid on players today.

Not sure why Man City would have Carson as back up, as apparently his distribution is dreadful .   Maybe they understand his primary job is keeping the ball out the net .  Currently, he is the best we have at that and in my opinion probably one of the best three or four keepers in the division .  Shame if he goes.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not sure why Man City would have Carson as back up, as apparently his distribution is dreadful .   Maybe they understand his primary job is keeping the ball out the net .  Currently, he is the best we have at that and in my opinion probably one of the best three or four keepers in the division .  Shame if he goes.

The chances of him appearing on the bench, nevermind playing will be highly unlikely.

He's literally only being brought in to fill their quota of English players.

Sounds like cocus changed his mind on the goalie situation then, and if this does go through officially, we will get a new goalie in. Good news, I think it’s very important to our prospects this season that we get a new NO1 in, I fear without one as I said earlier that we could struggle and lose silly points to mistakes that we could avoid- and that would be very frustrating.

Can well believe that we may not bring in a 'keeper today.

Clearly Cocu wants a 'keeper if Carson goes - as he's going to. And I agree with him. But I get the impression that it will be as back up to Roos. In which case, wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for a free agent - something which we don't need to do today and can do over the next few days (similar to Ambrose in January).

Just now, TibshelfRam said:

Can well believe that we may not bring in a 'keeper today.

Clearly Cocu wants a 'keeper if Carson goes - as he's going to. And I agree with him. But I get the impression that it will be as back up to Roos. In which case, wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for a free agent - something which we don't need to do today and can do over the next few days (similar to Ambrose in January).

I agree - get the feeling any keeper brought in will be as back-up. Roos will do for me as No.1

Sounds like we are definitely working on some deals then, good news, we still need that CM and winger. Sounds like it may go right to the wire though, I suspect we’ll hear things at around 5pm, not before. The Carson deal is definitely not done yet either then, but it sounds like we’re looking at options at least in case it does happen to replace him in the squad.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

I agree - get the feeling any keeper brought in will be as back-up. Roos will do for me as No.1

I would prefer a new number 1 but I don;t think Cocu agrees - or he doesn't feel that there's an alternative good enough to take the number 1 spot.

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They'd just pick up a different old English GK 

If Carson's gonna be our #2 anyway; getting rid of his wages is a very astute move. I don't like the idea of paying that amount of money to a backup GK.

Oh yeah I’m sure they would, but would we not have other suitors for Carson who would pay in the championship? Would seem a better move financially.

Agree on the need to get rid of wages though, Roos has overtaken Carson now, but Carson is of course still on first choice wages from his last contract. Can’t keep paying those when he’s not doing anywhere near as big a role anymore, definitely needed to have someone else cover them. Just think we should get some payment on top as well.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

“The position has evolved and moved on in recent years and has done so again this season,” the former City goalkeeper Shay Given tells The Independent. “Ederson is almost like an outfield player in a position that Guardiola recognises as one of the most important on the pitch. Yes he saves shots and keeps the ball, but he is also so important in starting attacks and retaining possession. He’s one of the best in world football in those respects.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/ederson-profile-manchester-city-pep-guardiola-goalkeepers-feature-vs-liverpool-united-a8291301.html

Carson to City will be nothing more than a shot stopper in training sessions on what would be low wages for them, 3rd choice behind Ederson and Bravo which allows them to loan out Muric to Forest to gain first team football.....although looks like his season is already over with them signing yet another keeper.

You see these types of moves all the time.

19 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

I'm not so sure. I can't imagine that City were bothered enough about getting it over the line to be held to ransom by us - they could pretty much sign anyone. I think the issue was always that he was one of our higher earners so getting wages off the book may actually be more important.

I’m not saying just city, but there was other interest as we’ll reportedly. You’d think we’d get a fee off someone. Like I say though, the wages are also important to get off the books, but that should be a given with any loan really.

18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Do you really think we didn’t try? ?

Not like they’ve said to us “here you are have £1m loan fee” and we’ve said “no no don’t be silly, have him for free.”

He’s probably on £20k a week at the very minimum, if the alternative to not letting him go is having that sit on our bench why on earth would we say no over a loan fee

I’m sure we did, but I just can’t believe no one would offer a fee to jump in ahead of city, someone who may be more desperate for a goalie of Carson’s quality. If no one was offering a loan fee then yes of course it’s better to get his wages off the books if we’re bringing in a new GK, than pay them for him to do nothing. I just can’t believe no one would offer, but maybe Carson really has dropped that far.

Archived