Sign in to follow this  
Topram

Scott Carson - Signed for Man City on loan

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Not necessarily, when Southampton loaned Gallagher out last season he had a wage increase picked up by Blackburn (?) 

That was because there were numerous clubs interested in him and so Blackburn offered a more lucrative personal deal to make them the most attractive club to come to. This is the same reason as to why Villa were paying 150% of Abraham's wage + a bonus every time he scored, they had so many loan offers for him that Villa put forward an option to pay well over the odds just to secure him for a season...

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I did hear a whisper, but not enough to start a thread, that we were getting Fraser Forster last week, not from a reliable (for gossip) source*, so I forgot all about it until I saw @Rampage just ask for a 6'5" bruiser!

*source is very reliable in real terms as he's one of my best mates. He was also given some cryptic information he couldn't decipher which was ultimately Wayne Rooney!!

My Saints mate says Forster is on £100k a week though. I guess we can't afford to be paying anything like that.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Not necessarily, when Southampton loaned Gallagher out last season he had a wage increase picked up by Blackburn (?) 

Interesting...... I hadn’t been aware of any examples of this happening so assumed it wasn’t a thing.

Reading up on the Gallagher loan it suggests the reason that the wages were increased were as an incentive to lure him to Birmingham over a host of other championship clubs (including us allegedly). The deal also had Harry Rednapps sticky fingers all over it which may explain the huge agents fees involved in the transfer too!

It’d be interesting to know if this was becoming more widespread or is still a one off type arrangement. That said I don’t think Carson has the level of interest in him to start a wage auction 

49 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Goalkeepers are known to hit their primes much later than outfield players and in those terms, Roos is still pretty young

While that may be true, they actually have to have been playing in those younger years to improve towards their prime.  Roos is 27 and really hasn't played all that much.

Personally, I'm not taking a position on Roos either way - I honestly don't think we've seen him tested enough to really know if he's good enough or not. (Although that probably tells you whether it's a good idea to be going into a season with him as your only real option...)

8 minutes ago, roboto said:

My Saints mate says Forster is on £100k a week though. I guess we can't afford to be paying anything like that.

but at the moment Saints are paying all of that and not playing him, maybe they send him to Derby and only pay £95k and we pay the £5k!

On Carson vs Roos I’d trust Cocu’s judgement. If believes in Roos he’ll go with him if not he’ll find a replacement.

I like Carson he seems like a good character to have around and has done well for us, but his time does seem to be up here

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

While that may be true, they actually have to have been playing in those younger years to improve towards their prime.  Roos is 27 and really hasn't played all that much.

Personally, I'm not taking a position on Roos either way - I honestly don't think we've seen him tested enough to really know if he's good enough or not. (Although that probably tells you whether it's a good idea to be going into a season with him as your only real option...)

That itself is a bit of a paradox though, the alternative is we sign a first choice keeper and another season ticks by with Roos barely used... may as well just have Mitchell as a back up and sack Roos off in that case.

I'd let him be first choice for the time being, give him a proper run to establish himself and build some form, that is then a proper platform to judge him at this level. Worst case scenario we buy a new #1 in January but what's the point in buying younger players if we never give them a chance to prove themselves?

6 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Erm..................

Surely now being a 'keeper dropped by Derby will be some kind of badge of honour.

'Right, the gaffers dropped me, I'm no longer good enough to be Derby's number 1, best get on the phone to my agent. I've got no doubt that Juventus will be interested in acquiring my services.'

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Bet he's up there in our top 5 in wages... Martin, Davies, Thorne?

Might be waiting for him to officially shift on before we sign anyone.

"Phillip Cocu has said if Scott Carson goes to Manchester City on loan, as expected, Derby will look at bringing in another keeper."