Scott Carson - Signed for Man City on loan

Topram

Just now, Millenniumram said:

We need a new first choice goalkeeper. Letting Carson go won’t be costly, not filling his space in the squad with a new first choice goalkeeper would be. Roos is better than Carson, but he’s still not good enough. Carson was woeful last season (statistically the worst goalkeeper in the division) so Roos didn’t exactly have a tough battle to win his place. I don’t think he’s good enough, and that’s nothing to do with Wembley. There’s a reason why he’s always been out on loan to the lower leagues.

Well, which games last season was Roos bad in, other than the obvious one. I genuinely can't remember very many bad performances from him, he was brilliant away at Bristol. I think it's a bit unrealistic for us to expect a goalkeeper who is good at everything in the Championship, I really do. Maybe he could command his box better, but he's a solid Championship keeper, I fail to see how it'll cost us anything. Think that is hyperbolic nonsense.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Well, which games last season was Roos bad in, other than the obvious one. I genuinely can't remember very many bad performances from him, he was brilliant away at Bristol. I think it's a bit unrealistic for us to expect a goalkeeper who is good at everything in the Championship, I really do. Maybe he could command his box better, but he's a solid Championship keeper, I fail to see how it'll cost us anything. Think that is hyperbolic nonsense.

I love Roos but if we can get a better quality keeper in then we should... 

I'm sorry but the way Roos dives 2 seconds after the balls gone out makes me laugh all the time.

Just now, Squid said:

I love Roos but if we can get a better quality keeper in then we should... 

I'm sorry but the way Roos dives 2 seconds after the balls gone out makes me laugh all the time.

Well you *should* always get better quality players when you can. The fact is, Roos is a solid Championship keeper. It's not urgent to replace him, if we could it would be nice, but there is no point in paying over the odds.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don’t think he’s had that many poor games, but watching him he looks a mistake waiting to happen. I can remember quite a few times a poor kick put us in trouble, a poor punch put us in trouble in the box etc etc. Not all leading to goals, but that’s not the point. The point is, while he’s a good shot stopper, there’s more to goalkeeping than that and I fear over the course of the season his weaknesses will be exposed more than they were in his short run last season. It’s pure luck at times that his mistakes didn’t cost goals imo. It’s just gut feeling, but I worry from what I’ve seen of him that he’ll cost us more points that he’ll gain us, and we’ll be desperate for a new goalie in January. I may be wrong but that’s just my feeling based on watching him is he ain’t gonna be capable at this level for a full season.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t think he’s had that many poor games, but watching him he looks a mistake waiting to happen. I can remember quite a few times a poor kick put us in trouble, a poor punch put us in trouble in the box etc etc. Not all leading to goals, but that’s not the point. The point is, while he’s a good shot stopper, there’s more to goalkeeping than that and I fear over the course of the season his weaknesses will be exposed more than they were in his short run last season. It’s pure luck at times that his mistakes didn’t cost goals imo. It’s just gut feeling, but I worry from what I’ve seen of him that he’ll cost us more points that he’ll gain us, and we’ll be desperate for a new goalie in January. I may be wrong but that’s just my feeling based on watching him is he ain’t gonna be capable at this level for a full season.

Roos has played less than 100 games in his entire professional career, if he was the essence of calm and composed and commanded his box excellently, on top of his shot stopping, he wouldn't be playing for us. What is completely counter-intuituve to me, is that many fans recognise his superb shot stopping and can identify his weaknesses but then can't piece together than giving him extended gametime is an easy way to iron those mistakes out of his game. Bogle had quite a few defensive issues at the start of last season, but with continued gametime, the experience saw him reduce those number of errors. The same will be true for Roos, we just have to give him a chance...

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

tbh i can remember a few games which carson mistakes have cost us goals, even going back to grant, championship goalies will make mistakes, some they will get away with some they won't, that's football.

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We aren’t signing a keeper today, all the reports from the club are CM and RW. I know that could change, but I suspect it won’t. 

Isn’t Rooney going to be the CM? If we are signing another we are going to be blocking opportunities for Knight and Sibley.

6 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

tbh i can remember a few games which carson mistakes have cost us goals, even going back to grant, championship goalies will make mistakes, some they will get away with some they won't, that's football.

There were more than a few last season, that’s why I’m happy to let him go, and was happy for grant to go at the time. I just think Roos isn’t good enough for us, simple as that. I think he’ll make more costly and stupid mistakes than the average goalie in this league

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Roos has played less than 100 games in his entire professional career, if he was the essence of calm and composed and commanded his box excellently, on top of his shot stopping, he wouldn't be playing for us. What is completely counter-intuituve to me, is that many fans recognise his superb shot stopping and can identify his weaknesses but then can't piece together than giving him extended gametime is an easy way to iron those mistakes out of his game. Bogle had quite a few defensive issues at the start of last season, but with continued gametime, the experience saw him reduce those number of errors. The same will be true for Roos, we just have to give him a chance...

Perhaps he will improve with time, but I’m not convinced. As I say, this is pure gut feeling, but I really don’t think he’ll be a success. He’s certainly nowhere near the quality of a bogle in his respective position that’s for sure.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

There were more than a few last season, that’s why I’m happy to let him go, and was happy for grant to go at the time. I just think Roos isn’t good enough for us, simple as that. I think he’ll make more costly and stupid mistakes than the average goalie in this league

I think he'll only get better imo and i think his mistakes this season won't cost us as much as some are claiming

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Perhaps he will improve with time, but I’m not convinced. As I say, this is pure gut feeling, but I really don’t think he’ll be a success. He’s certainly nowhere near the quality of a bogle in his respective position that’s for sure.

Do you rate Mitchell then? Because the coach that brought De Gea through at Man Utd thought he was one of the best goalkeeping prospects he'd ever seen... Goalkeepers are known to hit their primes much later than outfield players and in those terms, Roos is still pretty young and Mitchell is even younger, there is a genuine argument to be made that we've a distinct lack of experience in the GK department when Carson leaves, but not so much quality. Therefore, we either spend, probably a fair bit, on a keeper with plenty of experience or we play Roos and allow him to gain that extra experience.

His performance v Rangers (amongst others last season- Bristol City springs to mind) was more than adept enough for Championship level though, in my opinion, and allowing him to play more will only see him improve further.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

Don’t forget guys that UEFA requires a certain amount of English players in squads in the CL. They got rid of Fabian Delph and haven’t replaced him, (I actually think that Delph was brought in to meet the quota in the first place) and why good quality English players (e.g. Barkley & Drinkwater) went for far more than they were worth at the time.

Man City are probably in a panic because a someone they wanted in has fallen through (Maguire?) so now need to come up with a quick solution to be eligible for UEFA competitions. Can’t go wrong with an ex-international goalkeeper currently keeping the bench warm who wouldn’t mind swapping benches for more money.

Sort of, but clubs cant leave spots empty if they can't fill them. It's a maximum non-homegrown quota rather than minimum

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We aren’t signing a keeper today, all the reports from the club are CM and RW. I know that could change, but I suspect it won’t. 

Can't see us getting a CM myself.

DM - Bielik, Huddlestone, Evans, Thorne, Bird
CM - Shinnie, Dowell, Holmes, (Rooney from Jan), Knight, Sibley

DM - Bielik, Huddlestone, Evans, Thorne, Bird, Shinnie
AM - Dowell, Holmes, (Rooney from Jan), Knight, Sibley

48 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We can still sign free agent keepers after the deadline should the need arise.

and emergency keepers if all our 'professional keepers' are either injured or suspended

Carson having medical at City. Pass the smelling salts, I may have the vapours.

Nothing that happens today will surprise me. I like this parallel universe.

Newsflash _ Jet Li signs for Rams. He is the One. (Film)

Rivals are signing players.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Omg

Roos is the better keeper than carson now and showed monday night.

If man city want carson if we can get 3m it will be good move for him.

hes going on loan and theres no way we'd get anything over 1m either way.

16 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

People suggesting that Carson is going for a huge pay rise.

But if it’s a loan then surely he stays on his current wages and Man City just pick them up.

Not necessarily, when Southampton loaned Gallagher out last season he had a wage increase picked up by Blackburn (?) 

I did hear a whisper, but not enough to start a thread, that we were getting Fraser Forster last week, not from a reliable (for gossip) source*, so I forgot all about it until I saw @Rampage just ask for a 6'5" bruiser!

*source is very reliable in real terms as he's one of my best mates. He was also given some cryptic information he couldn't decipher which was ultimately Wayne Rooney!!

Archived