FAO: Gareth Southgate

David

2 hours ago, David said:

That’s fine, just as long as he doesn’t get to sit in his seat. 

Why? 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

That should have been done years ago, I and several others, knew that GS would go through the old guard and move them along.  I expected nothing from this world cup, my thoughts and hopes where on the next (wherever that is as I don;'t think it will be Qatar). 

Brian Clough achieved nothing as a player, he turned out alright.

274 top division appearances 251 goals 2 full England caps. Retired aged 29.

I'm fairly sure I was ridiculed by friends at the time for backing him for it at the time. Said we needed someone who would have time and would be able to align all age categories and create a clear pathway. The system he's developed for the national side is intelligent and gets the best out of the type of players we have in abundance. 

Regardless of what happens Saturday he's made me love my national team again and I can't thank him enough. 

We all need to remember how we felt Tuesday evening and hold on to that and the clear progress that has been made throughout his tenure. This HAS been a successful tournament so far, we have a great chance to go further but that doesn't define the work that Southgate has done up to now. 

Not everything he has touched has turned to gold just yet.

calmness people!

hes still building his management style imo. His next challenge ( there is always a next one) is to keep the team playing football as the pressure increases. The performances have been a bit flatlined so far - I was reminding myself of Italian 90 where we actually IMPROVED through the tournament.

direction of travel is encouraging tho for sure.

On 04/07/2018 at 08:55, David said:

the national team is on the right path and that is thanks to you

Owd your 'osses! We were one kick away from being sent home only having beaten Tunisia & Panama! Scraping through against Colombia sans Rodriguez is hardly setting the competition on fire! 

Nope. I'll be reserving judgment until the last day when Maradonna's crying crack laced tears onto his tight fitting Brazil shirt.

On 04/07/2018 at 08:55, David said:

you followed in the footsteps of a real turnip of an appointment in Sam Allardyce

And wtf is that supposed to mean? Racist pig.

On 04/07/2018 at 09:05, Heisenberg said:

Half-fan!

If you're not sure, wouldn't it be better if he was Schrodinger's Fan?

The press are always just one defeat away from turning on the England manager. A win this weekend and it'll be "We are going to win the whole thing.". A defeat and it'll be "We should have won the whole thing if it hadn't been for that clown picking xyz (insert player who messes up here)".

10 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Owd your 'osses! We were one kick away from being sent home only having beaten Tunisia & Panama! Scraping through against Colombia sans Rodriguez is hardly setting the competition on fire! 

Nope. I'll be reserving judgment until the last day when Maradonna's crying crack laced tears onto his tight fitting Brazil shirt.

We’re in the quarter finals of the World Cup no ifs buts or maybes about it. I had doubts we would even get out the group stages under Southgate when we appointed him. 

If you ask fans what their expections were for the tournament I bet a large percentage would have had those met or exceeded now. 

He deserves some credit, now back in your oven.

1 minute ago, David said:

He deserves some credit, now back in your oven.

Haha I know, I agree 100%, just felt like being objective. He's shocked me at how well he's done - a massive breath of fresh air after Hodgson and the threat of big Sam.

22 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Regardless of whether we're actually good enough, you can see the desire and passion in the players playing for the shirt - something previous generations didn't really have.

Class act this bloke. Even though the Columbia players were being dirty and trying every trick in the book, Southgate went over to support the Colombian lad who missed his penalty.

Proud to be English!

C70EF7E4-12C8-47C5-B432-F9AC5BCF72E6.jpeg

I really admire the way Southgate manages the media, he is firm yet fair with them, doesn't pander to them but also doesn't do this whole 'world is against us' thing that Sven mastered.

The thing a manager needs more than anything is a bit of luck, had Kyle Walker got a red for his penalty, had Kane missed that last minute header, had Colombia not equalised in the last minute (I am convinced winning on penalties was massive for us), had Kane got injured when being bundled to the floor by the Panamanian defenders well we would all be here today saying 'what did you expect, putting an inexperienced guy out there'. But Gareth got two things, one he got cut a bit of slack by the media by sheer lack of expectation that allowed us to build up some momentum without overly intense criticism and, secondly, he got some huge dollops of luck. Yes, you make your own luck but still.

Even if we go out to Sweden the long term implications of this tournament should be huge. We have brought confidence to our national team, a bit of real belief (more than slapping 'Believe' on the side of a Mars Bar) and a spirit of fun that frees us up to play with expression.

I'm still not convinced it is coming home but what a delight to be dreaming....

I find myself on this bandwagon of loving Gareth Southgate but then i doubt myself.

We've conceded in every game which shouldn't be happening against Tunisia and Panama. I think any manager out there could easily have got us to this point.

The only thing i can credit Gareth with at the moment is the team spirit (which is fantastic).

It's what happens from now which will form my opinion on him as a manager.

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

I find myself on this bandwagon of loving Gareth Southgate but then i doubt myself.

We've conceded in every game which shouldn't be happening against Tunisia and Panama. I think any manager out there could easily have got us to this point.

The only thing i can credit Gareth with at the moment is the team spirit (which is fantastic).

It's what happens from now which will form my opinion on him as a manager.

chose the right squad made difficult decisions regarding the old bunch.  where it starts I suppose

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I really admire the way Southgate manages the media, he is firm yet fair with them, doesn't pander to them but also doesn't do this whole 'world is against us' thing that Sven mastered.

The thing a manager needs more than anything is a bit of luck, had Kyle Walker got a red for his penalty, had Kane missed that last minute header, had Colombia not equalised in the last minute (I am convinced winning on penalties was massive for us), had Kane got injured when being bundled to the floor by the Panamanian defenders well we would all be here today saying 'what did you expect, putting an inexperienced guy out there'. But Gareth got two things, one he got cut a bit of slack by the media by sheer lack of expectation that allowed us to build up some momentum without overly intense criticism and, secondly, he got some huge dollops of luck. Yes, you make your own luck but still.

Even if we go out to Sweden the long term implications of this tournament should be huge. We have brought confidence to our national team, a bit of real belief (more than slapping 'Believe' on the side of a Mars Bar) and a spirit of fun that frees us up to play with expression.

I'm still not convinced it is coming home but what a delight to be dreaming....

Baalocks

Archived