Chris Jones Excited For A New Challenge

SaintRam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I'm slightly concerned that he is only 'excited' whereas Frank is 'very excited'. I hope he pulls his weight.

Didn't Jody Morris say he was "Very, Very excited", I'm concerned that Frank is only 'very excited' and Chris Jones is only 'excited'?

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Didn't Jody Morris say he was "Very, Very excited", I'm concerned that Frank is only 'very excited' and Chris Jones is only 'excited'?

Does it matter? They're all probably lying through their teeth, bloody southerners.

Strange expression, isn't it, lying through your teeth. Must contact that bird on Countdown, although I prefer the trim little craft who pulls the letters out.

22 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Does it matter? They're all probably lying through their teeth, bloody southerners.

Strange expression, isn't it, lying through your teeth. Must contact that bird on Countdown, although I prefer the trim little craft who pulls the letters out.

Does that mean Shay Given is only mildly excited, we are losing momentum sweetpea, nooooooooooooo.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

In the 14th Century "in the teeth of" was an expression that is interchangeable with our modern day "in the face of" or "to their face", which weren't used until much more recently.  So it simply meant lying to someone's face. 

"Through" the teeth has been in use for a few hundred years and was simply a modification to the expression as language evolved.

It is not linked to the concept, as some people believe, of gritting your teeth while lying.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

In the 14th Century "in the teeth of" was an expression that is interchangeable with our modern day "in the face of" or "to their face", which weren't used until much more recently.  So it simply meant lying to someone's face. 

"Through" the teeth has been in use for a few hundred years and was simply a modification to the expression as language evolved.

It is not linked to the concept, as some people believe, of gritting your teeth while lying.

Yeah, that's bit of a give-away.

Can I safely assume you are not the bird on Countdown?

2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Yeah, that's bit of a give-away.

Can I safely assume you are not the bird on Countdown?

I'm not. I'm a medieval and ancient history nerd, rather than a word nerd ? 

It's Susie Dent, by the way. Professional Lexicographer. 

Archived