v Notts County (A) Match Thread

David

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Talking of systems, I’d say like others that 433 wasn’t like macs, but I’d add it had similarities to the one used by Klopp at Liverpool. High energy and high press, with wingers playing narrow and almost as second strikers, with fullbacks high up providing the width and playing an overall high line. I’d argue less control than mac1, but far quicker (without being like Rowett and lumping it), and a greater focus on one touch pass and move, particularly in midfield areas. A high risk staretgy as with midfielders so far up it can leave us exposed, but when it works there’s some beautiful moves (such as Thomas’ second). 

If we play this way all of next season, I’d expect a fair few 4-3s rather than 1-0s.

All sounds interesting especially when the opposition have the ball and won’t give it back - looking forward to seeing us trying to play attacking attractive and hopefully winning football 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

What would you say the key differences are ? 

The midfield rotates, yes, there’s an ideal holding midfielder but he can push up and one of the #8s drop deep. The #8s also contribute more to build up play as opposed to Mac 1 in which they would make triangles with the winger and full-back 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

What would you say the key differences are ? 

Same possession based style but that possession being played from the midfield upwards and not that dull tikki takka between Centre halfs, which was the main gripe with SM for me.

Thats what I hope anyhow. Let CH's tackle, head and block before getting it quickly into Midfield and letting the ball players...well ......play the ball!

The Frank Lampard effect is quite amazing, really. DCFC put a photo of Frank waving to the fans on Instagram yesterday and it has got about 8,000 likes.

Frank put the same photo up earlier today and has already had over 68,000 likes and several comments from household names in football. I'm still finding it a bit surreal! 

Watching the highlights I think folks are being a bit harsh on Blackman when he fell over from the cross. Goalkeeper gets a touch that knocks it behind him, good defending more than poor attacking. 

32 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Watching the highlights I think folks are being a bit harsh on Blackman when he fell over from the cross. Goalkeeper gets a touch that knocks it behind him, good defending more than poor attacking. 

You can say what you like but he didn't look much of a footballer for most of his time on the pitch. No good blaming any boo-boys as Frankie won't be impressed by lack of character or skill. He's average mate. #beingkindthere

40 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He fell over more than once...

2 hours ago, angieram said:

The Frank Lampard effect is quite amazing, really. DCFC put a photo of Frank waving to the fans on Instagram yesterday and it has got about 8,000 likes.

Frank put the same photo up earlier today and has already had over 68,000 likes and several comments from household names in football. I'm still finding it a bit surreal! 

I was commenting to a friend this morning that we have a new manager and his son who was about 10 feet away with his friends said “Yes, Frank Lampard is the new manager of Derby County”.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Good point sir - I travel in to watch most games these days and on more than one occasion I have met up with Rams fans from far flung shores in The Brunswick or A.N.Other bar as they wait back for their trains. One example, couple from Finland who started watching us back in the 70s and never stopped, my cousin down south is a life long Derby fan for no other reason than Clough. It does matter, and long may it reign.

1 hour ago, sage said:

He fell over more than once...

Fair enough. I was only sort of watching it live, only one fall made it onto the highlights ?

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I was commenting to a friend this morning that we have a new manager and his son who was about 10 feet away with his friends said “Yes, Frank Lampard is the new manager of Derby County”.

There is only 'feel-good' with Frank Lampard as manager. A wonderful player for Chelsea and England, he comes with absolutely zero baggage.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

The midfield rotates, yes, there’s an ideal holding midfielder but he can push up and one of the #8s drop deep. The #8s also contribute more to build up play as opposed to Mac 1 in which they would make triangles with the winger and full-back 

Ah I see what you mean. So more fluid in terms of overall positioning. In that case it could it suit Butterfield coming back into the fold as someone who can drop deeper? Also reckon it might mean Hudds being phased out as I'd imagine if the defensive midfielder is to be more flexible he'd need to be more athletic? 

5 hours ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Same possession based style but that possession being played from the midfield upwards and not that dull tikki takka between Centre halfs, which was the main gripe with SM for me.

Thats what I hope anyhow. Let CH's tackle, head and block before getting it quickly into Midfield and letting the ball players...well ......play the ball!

I mean that's not really how mac1 set up and if we return to a more possession based style it's vital that the entire team is comfortable on the ball. If you just have two blockers at the back it quickly unravels.

18 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Frank's tactics are simple - win the game. Do formations really decide matches that often? 

Absolutely. Control the ball, pass it on quickly, move into space. That’s what we played yesterday and it works. Proper football in contrast to Rowettball which seemed to be about playing “without the ball”. 

Archived