v Notts County (A) Match Thread

David

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was nice to see luke tomspon lad took his two goals really well and looking like a really talent and masion bennet looking fully strong powerful pace to burn I think could huge say in our season took his goal well.

Bogle lad look really composed on the ball when he settled down.

10 minutes ago, jono said:

I didn’t see anything of the game but this is music to my ears. Move the ball quickly, with a decent amount of precision and you will win games. 

Yeah, definitely made a difference. With the one touch and pass,  it really didn't give too much time for Notts to settle and get back in position.  Much better than playing it front of them, although we did do that from time to time but I think that was to control the play or draw them out. Both have a place. Football ain't binary. 

Have a feeling we'll be a lot like Fulham rather than Ipswich this season. 

Can't wait for the season to start. Feeling optimistic. 

9 hours ago, Norman said:

Couple of points from me.

Bryson has been missed. He will be vital to the way we look to be setting up in the middle.

Bogle and Thomas are first team ready.

I also spoke to Mel Morris after the game. I like him. It was very brief but he asked me what I thought. So I told him lol.

I pointed out, for me, the youth players of Bogle and Thomas were amongst the best players in the first half, playing with some very good players.

He said that he has been telling people that for 3 years.

Where did you see him ? 

18 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Where did you see him ? 

Outside the players' entrance after the game.

Waited for the team after because my nephew wanted photos with Frank and his favourite player, Wisdom. 

Saw Roger Davies, Michael Johnson, Mel and most of the players to talk to.

All were great. Especially Keogh. Went above and beyond to point out it wasn't a problem to have a photo and took time to speak to the kids with us. 

Also, Mel genuinely wanted to know my thoughts. Took me by surprise really. Very passionate. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

The only person I have found intolerable on here is one knobber I always disagree with and he couldn't even accept a "happy New year" without arguing. The **** ***. 

Bit early but Merry Christmas Alpha!

38 minutes ago, Norman said:

Outside the players' entrance after the game.

Waited for the team after because my nephew wanted photos with Frank and his favourite player, Wisdom. 

Saw Roger Davies, Michael Johnson, Mel and most of the players to talk to.

All were great. Especially Keogh. Went above and beyond to point out it wasn't a problem to have a photo and took time to speak to the kids with us. 

Also, Mel genuinely wanted to know my thoughts. Took me by surprise really. Very passionate. 

Just to add to this post because I feel it's worth mentioning.

Mitchell, Roos, Lowe, Hanson, Bennett, Elsnik and Thomas were all very polite, well spoken lads. Did everthing the fans that had waited asked for.

I don't know them personally, but it left a great impression of players to the kids with us. So credit to the academy.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

No worries!! 

I never like to think that I couldn't have pint with anyone off here. I knew exactly where you were coming from with defending Rowett and whether I agreed or not I don't take my posts, your posts or even the game of football seriously enough to get to the stage some people get to where they're looking to attack a poster over the whole forum. 

The only person I have found intolerable on here is one knobber I always disagree with and he couldn't even accept a "happy New year" without arguing. The **** ***. 

I can't imagine the Rowett situation happening again. Not a split like that.

He wrongly suffered because of the way McClaren was sacked. Mac's sacking seemed to have a mixed response and Rowett came in and changed a lot quite quickly. Those that supported Mac had a lot ripped away from them and were quite angry. Rowett was always going to struggle to win them over unless he produced the football and results of Mac 1. 

You had the more chilled people who just wanted to get on with it. 

Problem was that Rowett's counter attacking style (regardless of whether there was any attacks to counter) could go aimless hoofball to deadly quick attacks from one week to the next. 

That just gave each fans ammo. One week we'd score 3 goals with 40% of the ball and the next week we'd barely get a shot. 

Rowett let popular players leave. Ince, Hughes. Ammo for the wrist slashers

But then we're 2nd in the league. Ammo for the happy clappers

Our performances always seemed to be extremes. 

Take the Fulham game for example. Now the wrist slashers would predict Fulham will pile the pressure on, Derby will get deeper and keep handing them the ball back.

The happy clappers would predict that Fulham will put the pressure on, come forward slowly, invite everyone forward and ZAP! Derby down the other end and score.

"See, 40% of the ball and 65% pass completion with only 3 players who attack. How does that have a future"

"See, 40% of the ball and in 3 passes we did what Fulham couldn't do on 500." 

... was always going to end in extreme views and point scoring.

Thankfully Rowett left and wasn't sacked. Because then the argument would rumble on. And thankfully nobody has really been able to say "told you so" because of all the things he was and wasn't (from the most promising young manager to a clueless hoofball tactician) I don't think anyone had him down as a bloke to piss off just like that after he always wanted this job and was a key player and kind of an adopted Derby lad. 

With him leaving nobody was proven right. We absolutely have a fresh start but this time it wasn't Morris pressing reset where we argue about the rights and wrongs of it. This time it was thrust upon us and we have to get a new manager. There is nothing to debate there. 

Like you said, there will always be snipers. I dunno why but you are right. But none of us can even judge this manager on his past. There's nothing for us to argue about now. So, with a few winning performances we could all be won over and united. Lets just hope it doesnt go the other way. But even if it does there's no "We should have stuck with Rowett" because that was never on the cards. 

Rowett didn't get a clean slate. Lampard has. 

UTR

Knobber. A superb word that I had consigned to the Barrack room banter of my military years.

Will try and shoehorn it into my next Stakeholder meeting!!!

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Just to add to this post because I feel it's worth mentioning.

Mitchell, Roos, Lowe, Hanson, Bennett, Elsnik and Thomas were all very polite, well spoken lads. Did everthing the fans that had waited asked for.

I don't know them personally, but it left a great impression of players to the kids with us. So credit to the academy.

Great posts and insights on your chats with the players and staff. Loved Mel's comments about him saying for the last few years that the kids are better.

Mel's had plenty of stick but maybe his biggest crime was just trusting and backing the managers too much.

2-3 times he was persuaded to spend money on new players and it never really worked out, which probably resulted in some difficult conversations.

Maye this is like 95/96 again when Lionel reigned in the spending and we were better off. It might be coming home afterall.

23 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great posts and insights on your chats with the players and staff. Loved Mel's comments about him saying for the last few years that the kids are better.

Mel's had plenty of stick but maybe his biggest crime was just trusting and backing the managers too much.

2-3 times he was persuaded to spend money on new players and it never really worked out, which probably resulted in some difficult conversations.

Maye this is like 95/96 again when Lionel reigned in the spending and we were better off. It might be coming home afterall.

Thankyou to @ariotofmyown never a true word spoken.iv been saying it for a long time now but people only ever believe what they see or hear in the media.so much has gone on behind the scenes at the clubs yet the club and mel have maintained professional about by not leaking it.not saying mel has not made the odd mistake but its been mostly the mistakes of the ones he has employed and the fact that he has tryed to say out of team affairs that have caused the problem.but guess his mistake was employing those people.

A positive start yesterday, everyone smiling in the sun, let's hope this positivity stays, we must back the young lads when there form dips, not get on there backs, counting down the days till the real action starts at reading, and yes I will deffo be there, hope we have a positive season, would love to see my Derby back to where they belong, think it will be a few seasons yet, but I will be enjoying the ride with our Frank, Bryson was back to his best yesterday, if he could stay fit for 3/4 of the season that would give us a great start.

One pre-season game down and everyone's already repairing the relationship bridges damaged by Rowett's tenure.

Lampard's appointment can already be considered a success.

I'm looking forward to hopefully not having to spend a season firefighting negativity (i'll admit now, reasonable negativity I *occasionally* agreed with ? ) in an attempt to try and convince myself I'm enjoying football.

Talking of systems, I’d say like others that 433 wasn’t like macs, but I’d add it had similarities to the one used by Klopp at Liverpool. High energy and high press, with wingers playing narrow and almost as second strikers, with fullbacks high up providing the width and playing an overall high line. I’d argue less control than mac1, but far quicker (without being like Rowett and lumping it), and a greater focus on one touch pass and move, particularly in midfield areas. A high risk staretgy as with midfielders so far up it can leave us exposed, but when it works there’s some beautiful moves (such as Thomas’ second). 

If we play this way all of next season, I’d expect a fair few 4-3s rather than 1-0s.

Archived