Andreas Weimann has joined Bristol City

Charlie George
Message added by David

Non transfer related Weimann posts should now be in Football Talk or 👉 https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29724-ex-rams/

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him and his attitude, he did have his best year for us last year, but he's a fairly limited footballer and I'd sell for sure.

To flip this i would be disappointed if we offered him a new deal, he has produced 1 above average season with us imo and that was last year. I 100% would sell him, to get nearly our original fee back for him is good business. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

When we had better this would make total sense ie last summer but currently we have no one better so as long as the space in the side is filled by better then so be it - wieman is currently a first team starter and only 26 and should be worth a lot more than £2 million some would sell him for after he did very well last season - but then again he only has one year left on his contract 

I think that last bit is the point. I have a feeling that there is a mood running through on offering (or not) new contracts.

fingers have been burned more than once on overly long, generous contracts. Pity because Andy is a team player but new brooms need some room and 2 mil at this point seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we should sell but also be appreciative of his effort during his time with us. 

Agreed, probably best to sell if it's over £2m - another probably substantial wage off the bill plus cash to invest for Lampard. 

His commitment can't be questioned but you just knew there'd be a couple of cheap jibes from certain posters.

7 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Could we replace him with a better player for 2 million? - Difficult, not impossible.

Also, maybe Bristol will play him in his actual position rather than out wide. - Villa fans thought he'd score shed loads in the championship running down the middle.

I see this as one of those "yeah, OK, not bad, not great" transfers. I don't like to knock a honest trier.

There aren’t many pro footballers who don’t work hard. 

Weimann is ok. Nothing more. The fact that he’s had one decent season shouldn’t distract us from the fact that if we are to make progress we need better. 

Honest pro as many have said. I’d not be sorry to see him go. 

No brainier for me. Sell sell sell. 

£2 million is good money for a workhorse with no end product.

Through the middle his finishing and passing isn’t good enough, you couldn’t play him as a lone striker, out wide, he can’t cross. He filled in well at lwb but if we are going to carry on playing that way, we need a more naturally suited play eg Lowe or New signing.

Didnt we buy him for £2 million? If so recouping the money we spent when he’s in the last year of his contract, when he has far from set the world alight would be good business.

or we could keep him as a squad player, then he buggers off on a free at the end of the season....

Last season was his best in a Derby shirt by some distance, and it still wasn’t spectacular.

I personally don’t think you can make up for a lack of quality by running around a lot. Not if you want to get promoted, anyway.

Good pro though. If he goes, I wish him well.

We need better than him, but people should still be careful what they wish for here. He was still first choice last season and hasn’t yet been replaced, and were talking about selling him to a championship rival for a fee no more than we bought him for. Absolutely I think we can get better than him, but will we with our recent record? He’s still a very decent and reliable player, he just doesn’t have the end product.

Sell for me given he’s in the last year of his contract (maybe try to push them to 3 mil given they have cash ready), but it would be a sale with thanks for his contributions and hope we can get better, rather than a throw him out like others are saying.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We need better than him, but people should still be careful what they wish for here. He was still first choice last season and hasn’t yet been replaced, and were talking about selling him to a championship rival for a fee no more than we bought him for. Absolutely I think we can get better than him, but will we with our recent record? He’s still a very decent and reliable player, he just doesn’t have the end product.

Sell for me given he’s in the last year of his contract (maybe try to push them to 3 mil given they have cash ready), but it would be a sale with thanks for his contributions and hope we can get better, rather than a throw him out like others are saying.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Remind me how many of those transfers Frank & Jody were involved in?

Agree with both comments here. On recent results transfer wise I would be cautious, but hopefully things will change from now on.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Remind me how many of those transfers Frank & Jody were involved in?

How many were other managers involved in? As I’ve said before the managers only form part of recruitment nowadays, I’m sure there’s people here who have worked on previous transfers that are still around. Lampard will get the final say of course, but he still has to trust the work of others in the scouting department which hasn’t proved successful at certain times. It was improved last season however so perhaps there’s greater hope this year. All I’m saying is people shouldn’t assume we’ll get better, there’s plenty worse than Weimann in this division.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

All I’m saying is people shouldn’t assume we’ll get better, there’s plenty worse than Weimann in this division.

Yes I agree with this, but I'm not sure we should be lumping all signings of the last 4 years in and using them to assume of recruitment team is naff.

Do we even know who this mythical team is? Has the team changed with each change of manager or not? For example there were various times of Chris Evans involvement were there not? Not to mention the Sam Rush saga.

Coupled with all of this, we cannot ignore the constant lurching from one manager to the next with no consistency of management style - from McClaren/Clement possession to Pearson-ball, from Pearson-ball back to Mac, from Mac to Rowett-ball - this in itself has made the recruitment look worse as we've ended up with a raft of players bought for one style trying to play a way that is alien to them and vice-versa.

Clean slate now, let's assume recruitment under Frank will be better until proven otherwise?

The fact remains that we need better than Weimann, bless him, to get where we want to get.

10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yes I agree with this, but I'm not sure we should be lumping all signings of the last 4 years in and using them to assume of recruitment team is naff.

Do we even know who this mythical team is? Has the team changed with each change of manager or not? For example there were various times of Chris Evans involvement were there not? Not to mention the Sam Rush saga.

Coupled with all of this, we cannot ignore the constant lurching from one manager to the next with no consistency of management style - from McClaren/Clement possession to Pearson-ball, from Pearson-ball back to Mac, from Mac to Rowett-ball - this in itself has made the recruitment look worse as we've ended up with a raft of players bought for one style trying to play a way that is alien to them and vice-versa.

Clean slate now, let's assume recruitment under Frank will be better until proven otherwise?

The fact remains that we need better than Weimann, bless him, to get where we want to get.

Agree with most of that, it’s just the players like camara who really are just poo and not just struggling in a system that concern me most. As you say perhaps the recruitment team has changed, I hope so- the website doesn’t seem to disclose anything to do with the scouting staff, only coaches and medics so I doubt we’d hear if it had. 

Archived