Pearce to QPR?

Parsnip

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Nah.

I would say we need another CB - whether thats a youth promotion or coming in from elsewhere, but I'd have said that if Pearce was staying. We can't get caught in the trap of assuming that, because they've avoided injury for the most part, Keogh and Davies will remain healthy all season.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

He needs to play football too. Although I was suprised he signed a contract given his game time - maybe he's not that bothered?

I imagine he was offered a contract as a backup and so that he would have value to the club.

From a footballer's perspective, I imagine it would feel like a bit of a risk to reject an offered contract in order to swim about as a free agent looking for someone to sign him up. Especially with so little game-time in his time here for prospective clubs to refer to.

3 minutes ago, rustylee said:

Sign a right back and use Wisdom as centre back

I agree with this. Although I'm more in the camp of 'Play Bogle and use Wisdom as centre back.'

But we still need CB cover, regardless. I'd only want Wisdom as CB in a back 3, and then we'd still have the same problem of not having a CB in reserve. Unless a youth gets promoted ofc, which I'd also be OK with if they were deemed good enough by management. 

Pearce would be a good signing for QPR, I think. He's never really let us down when he's been asked to step up. He's just always had better players infront of him here.

In the right team, perhaps as captain, I have no doubts he would be a good Championship centre half. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Pearce would be a good signing for QPR, I think. He's never really let us down when he's been asked to step up. He's just always had better players infront of him here.

In the right team, perhaps as captain, I have no doubts he would be a good Championship centre half. 

I think he’d be awful to be honest. Don’t get me wrong, he’s immense if you play backs to the wall stuff and you ask him to just head and kick but he gets exposed on the ball and defensively in an open passing game - which is what I assume they will try to play 

4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Baffles me how willing people are to sell Pearce. It’s as though they don’t want us to have any cover at centre back.

Great cover on both sides - Came in when we had a mare and performed well - Not much worse than either of our starters - Getting rid makes very little sense to me unless Mr Terry is coming in as cover? 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Great cover on both sides - Came in when we had a mare and performed well - Not much worse than either of our starters - Getting rid makes very little sense to me unless Mr Terry is coming in as cover? 

We wouldn't get rid and not replace him. Pearce hasn't been able to nail down a place here, plus he's a player that's experienced and will undoubtedly want to be playing. I imagine his wages will be well above £20k too. If he goes, we have scope to bring in someone younger & cheaper. Equally, we could bring in Terry, no doubt in a player/coach type role.

I'd say we need RB, LB & CB with Shackell & Baird already gone, Olsson out for the season* & Pearce needing to go as his wages are too high for his role in the team. Wisdom, the only RB we have at the moment, although Bogle has shown promise. Davies, Keogh, Wisdom & Forsyth can fill in at CB, the latter is not too natural in that position though. Forsyth & Lowe for the left back positions, which needs strengthening. 

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Baffles me how willing people are to sell Pearce. It’s as though they don’t want us to have any cover at centre back.

Other players who can fill the centre back role are Keogh, Davies, Wisdom, Forsyth, Huddlestone and Hanson. Then there's the likes of Wassall and Hunt in the U23s. I'd say we have at least half a dozen too many senior pros in the squad, stifling any progress for youth. If someone is prepared to buy one of our non-playing senior pros, I'd bite their hand off to do the deal.

Pearce has been fine but it's good to shed some of our non-first-team senior players and great for him if he will have the chance to play.

Archived