Things you wish you were good at?

Coneheadjohn

7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Sounds like you're simply an introvert. Life and soul sometimes, inexplicably shy and withdrawn at other times, often happiest in your own company or with pets, doing what pleases you most. Not everyone can be massively gregarious all the time and close friends will doubtless understand your character traits and not take offence - bar that there's nothing to worry about save for folk telling you to cheer up and the like which really ought to be a hanging offence. 

Spot on.., Extroverts, like myself often take over situations and just steam roller everything.. Meetings at work are always a problem and getting input from introverts is really important.. I often speak to them before meetings and get their input one to one and then try and bring them in at the appropriate time.. Is that right? I dunno, might be doing the worse this possible. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

That wasn't so bad, although the missus worked me hard to attend.

You were all strangers to me that day, so it somehow made it easier in a weird way, knowing we were all in a similar situation.

Anyway, I wish I could sing.

You came across laid back and chilled. Even a tad flirty

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Spot on.., Extroverts, like myself often take over situations and just steam roller everything.. Meetings at work are always a problem and getting input from introverts is really important.. I often speak to them before meetings and get their input one to one and then try and bring them in at the appropriate time.. Is that right? I dunno, might be doing the worse this possible. 

As an introvert myself I think that's a really good thing to do.

There's a perception out there that extrovert = good in business and introvert = bad and you really need to involve everyone & introverts often are better at logical thought and analysis of problems & solutions. They just prefer to do it quietly.

I recently saw the best definiton of introvert & extrovert online & it's basically that extroverts recharge themselves by being around people and interacting, where as introverts do the same by going off and having time alone. My best mate is a massive extrovert and it sometimes frustrates me that we often arrange to do something together & he then invites a load of other people to join us, which I find exhausting but he does now understand my need to wander off from the group for a bit on a night out or whatever & be on my own - even if it's just a few minutes outside having a smoke.

Anyway & back on topic, I'd love to be able to play the piano.

It's interesting the number of people who have said musical instruments on this topic and I'll keep that in mind for my little one.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Not sure if there's a right or wrong way bud. I think the fact that you even consider how to involve them is a really positive thing though. Most don't.

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Social situations.

All of them, period.

I'll even pretend I haven't seen people when I'm out and about who I have a casual relationship with, or even colleagues past or present, just to avoid having to make small talk with them.

Even if I like them, and enjoy their company!

I’m exactly the same, cannot do small talk at all, end up standing awkwardly trying to make conversation but failing.

Back to the original question tho...pulling

Come to think of it, there may be a link to be found here?

I wish i was better at loads of things.

I could answer it selfishly and say i wish i could play tennis or golf or guitar etc etc. But the one thing that haunts me a bit, is that there was a girl in our class who was very shy and didn't join in and had few friends, and was often in tears. Eventually the class sort of ignored her and just got with our own interests. I wish i could turn the clock back and go and talk to her, and have made even the slightest effort to befriend her. I sometimes wonder whatever happened to her. Hopefully she's happy and everything worked out great.

But i wish i'd been good full stop.

19 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry, probably a bit darker than the thread was looking for.

No worries about stress though, it doesn't really bother me in all honesty.

Everyone is different, after all.

That’s fine mate,I feel the same sometimes.

And don’t worry about it being darker,I started if by saying I wanted the knife fighting abilities of Steven Seagal when he was(just) a chef.

6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes it is right, only if they want to be brought in. We have an analyst who avoids speaking, including casual conversations, however her work is impressive, she takes me through the numbers and I present it, mentioning her at key points so there is no way the team forget who is providing/presenting the data and work involved.

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Top 3?

Swimming is probably top, I'm aquaphobic.

Art, probably animation as an extension to that.

One of many musical instruments.

Not sure if it’s just me, but being fluent in another language has actually messed me up a little bit.

I speak Spanish 90% of the time these days, and it means when it comes to speaking English and having regular conversations, it’s really awkward.

I seem to speak slower, I’ve lost the ability to be quick and witty, and my accent is all messed up too. Sometimes I can’t find the words to what I want to say, and on occasions when I’m not 100% focused, I’ll respond in Spanish by accident.

When you’re fluent it’s like a switch in your brain when changing languages. It’s really weird, it has definitely messed up my thoughts pattern, like my brain can’t handle the excess information of knowing thousands more words.

I think I’d really struggle to have an English conversation with a complete stranger nowadays. I feel awkward doing it too.

Archived