John McGinn - Joined Aston Villa

Cam the Ram

30 minutes ago, ck- said:

About 10-12 years ago I watched cup semi final at Hampden Park between Rangers and Hearts. I was shocked at the poor quality. I don't think it was even league 1 on that showing.

We have played Rangers in a friendly since then and they were significantly better than us, so it's a difficult call.

My take is that Celtic and Rangers are lower premier league, and the rest are lower Championship / upper league 1.

Note that I'm placing Rangers there historically rather than currently simply because their current level is artificially deflated by their forced demotion a few years back, which they're still recovering from.

On paper, player for player, Celtic only have a handful of players who I would say are EPL quality, and I would put them on a par with a decent Championship/newly promoted side, Rangers have a couple of decent players but some of the others are pretty poor Championship players at best and I'd put them nearer to Bolton or Barnsley standard.   

Celtic would be a major force in England though because of their spending power - they may well lose £40m in Champions League Revenue for a few years but bearing in mind they receive a pittance for SPL TV rights they would be massively (£60m+) better off in the EPL without even counting increased global exposure. Not to mention their average attendance is behind only United, Arsenal and Spurs which surely must be enough to build on.

West Ham, Man City, Liverpool and Newcastle top Rangers attendances (who would be 9th with an average just below 50k) but without CL football at present they would wind up around £100m better off and could soon redress the balance.

Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts only average mid-late teens so only supersede Bournemouth who are an anomaly, and more realistically sit bottom half of the championship.  The rest range from 4-6k and that puts them mid-League one.

I think the culture shock would likely see them all struggle for a few years whilst they acclimatise.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ck- said:

About 10-12 years ago I watched cup semi final at Hampden Park between Rangers and Hearts. I was shocked at the poor quality. I don't think it was even league 1 on that showing.

We have played Rangers in a friendly since then and they were significantly better than us, so it's a difficult call.

My take is that Celtic and Rangers are lower premier league, and the rest are lower Championship / upper league 1.

Note that I'm placing Rangers there historically rather than currently simply because their current level is artificially deflated by their forced demotion a few years back, which they're still recovering from.

You need to do the 2 or 3 hours research on the SPL that I have and it might open your eyes. The bottom 6 teams have the resources, revenue and stadia of League 2/National League teams...how then with those resources do they get a team performing at lower level Championship standard? Is it something they put in their half time cuppa? It is not about attendances, it is about money going in to the Leagues, nobody is putting any money in to the SPL and it is light years behind the leagues in England....it's sad but it is all about tv revenue now...

4 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Nixon lazily linked us here. Was always in line to replace Scott Brown. He just needed to sell a few more papers. 

I thought that was the case with the Bobby Reid link too...as soon as we were linked it started a bidding war between West Brom and Cardiff, I'm sure we would have known he was out of our price range.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a hibs fan but try to get to a derby game once a season. Is there anything in this or is it dead?

Mcginn would be a class signing for yous, I obviously want him to stay and help get us into the uefa Cup groups but if he is to leave I'd much rather see him move to Derby than celtic. 

He is perfectly suited to English football and I don't say that about anyone who does decent for us, it was pretty much accepted that Cummings wouldn't make it in the championship. He's incredibly strong on the ball and very good at getting the ball deep and making charging runs up the pitch. The one thing he lacks is regular goals but he does have a very powerful shot. 

Good luck for the season ahead and I hope to get to a game this season, never been to an East Midlands Derby. 

1 minute ago, Le God said:

I'm a hibs fan but try to get to a derby game once a season. Is there anything in this or is it dead?

Mcginn would be a class signing for yous, I obviously want him to stay and help get us into the uefa Cup groups but if he is to leave I'd much rather see him move to Derby than celtic. 

He is perfectly suited to English football and I don't say that about anyone who does decent for us, it was pretty much accepted that Cummings wouldn't make it in the championship. He's incredibly strong on the ball and very good at getting the ball deep and making charging runs up the pitch. The one thing he lacks is regular goals but he does have a very powerful shot. 

Good luck for the season ahead and I hope to get to a game this season, never been to an East Midlands Derby. 

Don't think there ever was much in it to be honest. One day the link came up that Lampard was trying to snatch him from Celtic at the last minute and within a day the rumour had died down. We're about to sign a centre mid from Reading so unless we end up selling 3 or 4, there's very little chance we'd be in for McGinn and even then we'd probably go for Bayliss instead as he's cheaper 

PistoldPete2
8 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

There secret un-named undercover operators who report only to him.

uncle  arry?

10 hours ago, Le God said:

Tam McManus tweeted this after the Europa qualifier the other night, wondered if it might have been a derby scout but that seems unlikely after what you've said

Screenshot_20180730-002940_Chrome.jpg

Well if Tam says it then what the hell are we waiting for, tests don't come tougher than a Europa qualifier against Asteras Tripolis.

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Well if Tam says it then what the hell are we waiting for, tests don't come tougher than a Europa qualifier against Asteras Tripolis.

and then a league game against the mighty Hamilton Academicals the following week...…..

Archived