John McGinn - Joined Aston Villa

Cam the Ram

7 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I mentioned him in January to give the midfield some energy when we had the Ledley and Huddlestone plod and were getting overrun. 

He's definetly a championship player, got a good engine and a bit of dig. He does also possess a decent pass. 

He plays deeper than Bryson. 

His Grandfather was a Celtic director years ago and his family are Celtic men. 

Im not convinced Celtic are interested in him, they are looking at players to get them into the Champs league groups, he's not at that level yet. As I said, he is at a championship level. 

7 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I mentioned him in January to give the midfield some energy when we had the Ledley and Huddlestone plod and were getting overrun. 

He's definetly a championship player, got a good engine and a bit of dig. He does also possess a decent pass. 

He plays deeper than Bryson. 

His Grandfather was a Celtic director years ago and his family are Celtic men. 

Im not convinced Celtic are interested in him, they are looking at players to get them into the Champs league groups, he's not at that level yet. As I said, he is at a championship level. 

Too good for the SPL then.........

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

What does that say about us and where were trying to get to 

Many would take bryson back for a promotion push and he cost 500k from kilmarnock. This says we're looking for quality players in a cheaper market to maintain a promotion push, and if Frank thinks this guy is quality, and 3m seems a good deal, why not go for him.

30 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I think that most would agree that the Scottish Prem is 80% League 1 level, but a few teams, and certainly Celtic are one of them, are bottom English Prem level. Celtic although unable to get into the knockout stages of the Champions League have had some very good results in their group games over recent years. Results that I'm sure Derby wouldn't be able to replicate. If he's good enough for Celtic he's good enough for Derby.

38 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

It would say a lot of things. Most notably among them would be “Wow, we’ve pipped Champions League side Celtic to a signing”

I know it’s a surprise to here, but there are actually some pretty decent players in the SPL - and McGinn is right up there with the best. He’ll play Premier League football eventually. Let’s hope it’s with us!

Regardless of whether we get these pair we’ve been linked with today (and based on the links being true, Nixon has a decent track record with Derby), I’m happy at the calibre/types of players we’re being linked with.

Sensible age, sell on potential, reasonable wages, certainly not past their best. 

Honestly, I was fearing us going after mainly League 1 and 2 players after Lampard was appointed, but alongside DaSilva, I think we’re being linked with some (on paper) decent players. Let’s hope we get some of them

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Not good enough for Celtic, but ok for Derby. 

8 hours ago, richinspain said:

I think that most would agree that the Scottish Prem is 80% League 1 level, but a few teams, and certainly Celtic are one of them, are bottom English Prem level. Celtic although unable to get into the knockout stages of the Champions League have had some very good results in their group games over recent years. Results that I'm sure Derby wouldn't be able to replicate. If he's good enough for Celtic he's good enough for Derby.

Bottom 6 are closer to League 2 level, I have researched the SPL in depth. The surprise was that in terms of revenue, stadia and general resources it was much worse than what I thought.....

McGinn’s coming home despite last minute interest from Lampard

CELTIC will this week sign John McGinn as Stuart Armstrong heads out of the door to join Southampton. The interest in the Hibs player from Derby County’s new manager Frank Lampard will only speed up the move by Brendan Rodgers but it is going to take a dramatic turn of events now to frustrate the Celtic boss who will be looking to add McGinn to his pre-season trip to Austria as the squad gets ready for the Champions League qualifiers.

https://thecelticstar.com/mcginns-coming-home-despite-last-minute-interest-lampard-not-gerrard/

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s that one done then, you can’t blame him going to Celtic when he’s from Glasgow tbf

Depends whether he wants to play competitive football or in a league with one adult team and a load of kids' teams.

Russell was a die hard Celtic fan and they wanted him but he ended up joining us so wouldn't rule us out just yet.

Lampard's influence can't be ruled out, how many young centre mid's would love to be managed and coached by someone with Lampard's pedigree, I would think that would be a big pull in convincing players to join.

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Russell was a die hard Celtic fan and they wanted him but he ended up joining us so wouldn't rule us out just yet.

Lampard's influence can't be ruled out, how many young centre mid's would love to be managed and coached by someone with Lampard's pedigree, I would think that would be a big pull in convincing players to join.

Russell knew he'd be sitting on the bench at Celtic though didn't he

Archived