Bands you liked then hated or hated and then liked

Bob The Badger

Tell me if I'm getting boring with these threads, but I'll still ignore you.

Hated The Police, even when I saw them in 1982 - love their stuff now.

Hated Primal Scream until I saw them live (I went to see The Orb., they just happened to be on) - love them now

Loved Simple Minds from Life in a Day to New Gold Dream. Then hated them when they went all Belfast Child bs. Now quite like their new stuff.

Loved Happy Mondays albums 1 and 2 (plus and EP), then hated them.

Loved FGTH with their first album (also loved the remixes of Two Tribes), then Liverpool sucked Donkey Balls and hated them.

Hated The Beatles early stuff, but then when they got into drugs from Sgt Pepper onwards, loved them.

Loved REM, then hated them, and then kind of loved them again. Now I'm unsure.

Loved The Clash, then wasn't sure, then loved them again and then wished they'd split up to preserve the amazing memory

Love The Ramones, then thought when I saw them live....boring

Loved Bowie, then hated Bowie, then loved Bowie, the hated Bowie, then loved Bowie, then hated Bowie - and that was juts one album.

Hated Prince, then loved Prince.

Hated Led Zep, now really like their stuff.

Loved Madonna and then hated Madonna, then saw her life and really loved her.

Loved XTC, then really loved XTC, then super loved XTC and think P & M are the best songwriters since L & M.

Damn I wish Partridge didnb't have performance anxiety because they were amazing live.

I'm sure there is more, but you go.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hated Primal Scream until I saw them live (I went to see The Orb., they just happened to be on) - love them now

Loved Simple Minds from Life in a Day to New Gold Dream. Then hated them when they went all Belfast Child bs. Now quite like their new stuff.

Loved FGTH with their first album (also loved the remixes of Two Tribes), then Liverpool sucked Donkey Balls and hated them.

Hated The Beatles early stuff, but then when they got into drugs from Sgt Pepper onwards, loved them.

Loved The Clash, then wasn't sure, then loved them again and then wished they'd split up to preserve the amazing memory

Loved Bowie, then hated Bowie, then loved Bowie, the hated Bowie, then loved Bowie, then hated Bowie - and that was juts one album.

Loved XTC, then really loved XTC, then super loved XTC and think P & M are the best songwriters since L & M.

Damn I wish Partridge didnb't have performance anxiety because they were amazing live.

Never knew the Partridge Family went on tour, Bob. And sorry to hear about their anxieties. They went well on the telly.

Just now, ilkleyram said:

Never knew the Partridge Family went on tour, Bob. And sorry to hear about their anxieties. They went well on the telly.

Here's how the written word doesn't work.

I'm guessing you're joking, but how do I know?

His wife threw his xanax away prior to an XTC show in Paris and he couldn't perform.

Springsteen - never really liked until Streets of Philadelphia....can only listen to that one track though so far

u2 didn't do it for me until......miss sarajevo......great song....can only listen to that one track though

On 21 June 2018 at 22:07, Bob The Badger said:

Not 'into' a lot of these, but I take your point.

BEATLES Pepper is the No 1 album of all time for me, but the move away from 'early Beatles' to the more technically brilliant stuff surely happened after their Help Album (we ancients referred to them as 'LPs) When they brought out 'Rubber Soul' and 'Revolver'.

OK, ignoring 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Penny Lane' listen to 'Tomorrow Never Knows' followed by 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and you can see where the technically brilliant 'A Day in the Life' was conceived.

BOWIE first Album I heard was Ziggy S. Loved every track.

Good balanced post BTW.

• 1 month later...

I remember having such a fight with my much older brothers when I was a teen-ager.

They were taking the piss out of my Sultans of Ping F.C. CD, while I couldn't bare the LP they kept playing, featuring an old man who couldn't even sing ffs.

Eventually I deliberately scratched their shitty record so they couldn't play it.

The album in question.

Tom Waits 'Closing Time', which is now amongst the greatest things I've ever listened to.

The naivety of youth!

Tom Waits for me also.

Couldn't get into him for years, then one night it suddenly clicked, drunkenly hearing Small Change at about 4am. 

Obsessively bought all the albums and listened to virtually nothing else for about two years.

Now I only tend to put him on if I've got visitors that I wish would leave. 

10 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Tom Waits for me also.

Couldn't get into him for years, then one night it suddenly clicked, drunkenly hearing Small Change at about 4am. 

Obsessively bought all the albums and listened to virtually nothing else for about two years.

I'm still in that lovely stage where you hear a song and wait just before it ends before rewinding and listening all over again.

I hope that I don't fall in love with you, and Martha are in that category atm, but I'm finding myself increasingly drawn into the wierder stuff too.

I once heard someone say there is no such thing as new music, just music you've heard and music you haven't.

I see the point now.

Next stop, Leonard Cohen!

There are certain albums I used to play endlessly on repeat. Of the early stuff, Small Change and Blue Valentine, then Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs. Then Bone Machine and Mule Variations. I sort of lost it after that. 

Leonard Cohen is wonderful, but I always liked him, so he's not allowed in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

There are certain albums I used to play endlessly on repeat. Of the early stuff, Small Change and Blue Valentine, then Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs. Then Bone Machine and Mule Variations. I sort of lost it after that. 

Leonard Cohen is wonderful, but I always liked him, so he's not allowed in this thread. 

That's my work playlist sorted for tomorrow, thanks.

31 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Tom Waits for me also.

Yup, a few bars of The Black Rider will do the job

51 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I remember having such a fight with my much older brothers when I was a teen-ager.

They were taking the piss out of my Sultans of Ping F.C. CD, while I couldn't bare the LP they kept playing, featuring an old man who couldn't even sing ffs.

Eventually I deliberately scratched their shitty record so they couldn't play it.

The album in question.

Tom Waits 'Closing Time', which is now amongst the greatest things I've ever listened to.

The naivety of youth!

You don't bag on the Sultans, consider yourself excused...

Loved (loved, loved) dance music (rave and all that, house, dnb, some techno etc) from when it started in about 88 until about the late 90s.

Then the 2000s kicked in and most of it since has been complete and utter snot.

Really hard to take.

22 minutes ago, bx3 said:

Loved (loved, loved) dance music (rave and all that, house, dnb, some techno etc) from when it started in about 88 until about the late 90s.

Then the 2000s kicked in and most of it since has been complete and utter snot.

Really hard to take.

Speed garage was the death of dance music  from the end of 98

Wouldn't it be great if we all liked the same thing all the time? No, not great. What's the word I'm looking for? Absolutelyfuckingappallingyouimbecilicmorons.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Wouldn't it be great if we all liked the same thing all the time? No, not great. What's the word I'm looking for? Absolutelyfuckingappallingyouimbecilicmorons.

Bad day?

Archived