Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

Not a problem Frank not being around as mentioned earlier in the thread there are many ways to talk to players now and not be in the same room.

All the financial aspects of transfers are conducted by others apart from the manager.I think in one of the forums last year Rowett mentioned how the finance guy, forget his name right now,did nearly all the negotiations once the player was identified.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Not sure why people think Lampard needs to be here to get things sorted regards signing players? He just mreds to be in contact with the scouts & whoever deals with the financial side of things. 

Morris can be in and around the club to keep the day to day stuff ticking over, Lampard just needs to be ready for preseason.

Doesnt the loan window stay up another week or 2 til the end of August? Im sure we will be looking to use that too so i'm sure Lampard, Morris & the club know what they're doing

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

No shuts at same time as transfear window.

Loan transfer window is end of August, so a couple of weeks after the permanent transfer window

Whilst it is a gamble to try players who have never played in the championship or above there are a few examples of players that teams have gambled on and has been successful

Britt Assambalonga, Andre Gray, Billy Sharp, Harry Maguire, Jordon Ibe , Danny Ings ,Jordon Rhodes are just a few players who have progressed from League1 and League 2 and have gone on to be classified as decent championship players or above so whilst it is a gamble it may be worth it in the long run,

I thought Ollie Watkins was worth signing and we would not have lost any money on him if we had bought him, saying all that I would not pay 6.5m for Marriott as i think its too high 

5 hours ago, Saity said:

Whilst it is a gamble to try players who have never played in the championship or above there are a few examples of players that teams have gambled on and has been successful

Britt Assambalonga, Andre Gray, Billy Sharp, Harry Maguire, Jordon Ibe , Danny Ings ,Jordon Rhodes are just a few players who have progressed from League1 and League 2 and have gone on to be classified as decent championship players or above so whilst it is a gamble it may be worth it in the long run,

I thought Ollie Watkins was worth signing and we would not have lost any money on him if we had bought him, saying all that I would not pay 6.5m for Marriott as i think its too high 

If maddison "made it" at championship level and became say, an assombalonga,  then the money wouldn't matter as it's recouped a few times over.

But what are the odds? For every harry maguire there may be 20 Gary teales. Or 100 Liam dickinsons. I just don't know. 

I have to be positive and assume that the people running this side of the club will be able to judge how big a gamble this would be. If frank does have very limited funds then he may not want to blow the lot on one player tho...

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If maddison "made it" at championship level and became say, an assombalonga,  then the money wouldn't matter as it's recouped a few times over.

But what are the odds? For every harry maguire there may be 20 Gary teales. Or 100 Liam dickinsons. I just don't know. 

I have to be positive and assume that the people running this side of the club will be able to judge how big a gamble this would be. If frank does have very limited funds then he may not want to blow the lot on one player tho...

You can either take gambles on these type of players or continue to sign 30+ year olds who have "done it" at this level. 

Am sure Lamps and Jody are working hard sorting out potential signings . The stumbling block is that they are new to the club and have yet to meet the existing squad . It is unfortunate that the window is so restricted this year when there is so much to sort during it.  If Loan deals can be done until the end of the month that will help.   But this may be only with Prem clubs??  whose window ends after ours. Can anyone clarify  ??

2 hours ago, t'oldu said:

Am sure Lamps and Jody are working hard sorting out potential signings . The stumbling block is that they are new to the club and have yet to meet the existing squad . It is unfortunate that the window is so restricted this year when there is so much to sort during it.  If Loan deals can be done until the end of the month that will help.   But this may be only with Prem clubs??  whose window ends after ours. Can anyone clarify  ??

From the football league site

Main window shuts on the 9th August at 5pm. But 

EFL clubs will still be able to sign players on loan up to August 31, 2018.

They will also be able to sign players on Loan with an option to agree a permanent transfer when the next window opens up to August 31.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, t'oldu said:

Thanks Frosted.           Since a lot of our business is likely to be Loans in and out that makes things look a lot easier.

Agreed. Lots of loans in and out expected.

18 hours ago, FrostedRam said:

From the football league site

Main window shuts on the 9th August at 5pm. But 

EFL clubs will still be able to sign players on loan up to August 31, 2018.

They will also be able to sign players on Loan with an option to agree a permanent transfer when the next window opens up to August 31.

And we can also sell players up until Aug 31... to countries where transfer window shuts on Aug 31... i.e the rest of Europe.

He may well be a terrific purchase and do well for us but I can't help feeling that our 'scouting' seems to involve checking the lower leagues for this year's heroes and making a bid.

Any of us could do that. There must be some jewels elsewhere in the world or are we still limited by a supersaver railcard?

Right, got my head round this now (I think) 

Maddison, 24 year old CAM/LW can also play RW and LB

Marriott, 23 year old striker who can also play RW

And it's Maddison with the £2.5m release clause that us, Forest and Reading are after. 

Stupidly similar named players.

Archived