Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Terry Hennessy said:

Do we need Maddison ??? Our current Midfield (in no particular order) : Sibley, Rooney, Lawrence, Shinnie, Knight, Bielik, Holmes, Brown (Jordan), Evans.... would you play Maddison over any of them - can't see it myself as to me he doesn't bring anything we haven't got already....

Well I'm pretty sure he can play on the right wing...

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Do we need Maddison ??? Our current Midfield (in no particular order) : Sibley, Rooney, Lawrence, Shinnie, Knight, Bielik, Holmes, Brown (Jordan), Evans.... would you play Maddison over any of them - can't see it myself as to me he doesn't bring anything we haven't got already....

He can play out wide. Not as an out-and-out winger, but more like a Tom Lawrence cutting inside type of player.

The talent's definitely there and he would be free, so I'm not against this at all. Added benefit if it brings the best out of Marriott.

I'd also trust the club to do their homework on him and his attitude (which is undeniably poor) and, in reality, he'd only be screwing himself over if he were to mess it up. He wouldn't get another chance at a club the size of Derby.

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Can’t see why we would not have had him as trialist if we were genuinely interested.

I’m surprised we haven’t had a number of trialists in training. With the amount of out of contract players it would make sense. Maybe this is a thing of the past for established footballers nowadays.

Maddison has been playing for Peterborough Sports this pre season to stay fit. 

No real risk, and won't be on crazy money, get him in.

Was anybody going to perform well at Hull tail end of last season?

Obviously links well with Marriott. Wind blowing in the right direction and you can get 30 goals between them in a season, or at the least you've got a couple of impact subs.

12 hours ago, enachops said:

I’m surprised we haven’t had a number of trialists in training. With the amount of out of contract players it would make sense. Maybe this is a thing of the past for established footballers nowadays.

Maddison has been playing for Peterborough Sports this pre season to stay fit. 

That hardly screams "bad attitude " to me.

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That hardly screams "bad attitude " to me.

Maybe.. 

Trying not to be really obtuse, but it hardly screams ultimate professional either? Sure Covid is making it harder to access bigger clubs, but also could look like half arsed attempt to appear bothered whilst messing about down the road with someone just glad to be associated with you and who won't ask for much. 

Bitter, I know...

People saying Marriott could give him a reference but his stock is fairly low at the moment. 

Definitely last chance saloon for him to break the big time. Be surprised if we were after him but fair enough if so. 

I have no idea what type of guy Maddison is. I’ve never met him.

I’ve read the press and it doesn’t look good. Perhaps no-one has really tried to understand what make him tick.
The management team will need to conduct interviews with him to assess his intentions. They will not want a bad apple in a young squad.

He only has a left foot, but it’s a good one. He will create and score but don’t expect much more. Can we afford to have him and Lawrence in the same team? I’m not sure that we can.

36 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Do we need to take risks at the moment?

prefer solid players of substance and no farting around 

We need value at the moment. A bit of flair added for small cost...? Maybe.

On balance though, I'm going to hope we can find that elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have no idea what type of guy Maddison is. I’ve never met him.

I’ve read the press and it doesn’t look good. Perhaps no-one has really tried to understand what make him tick.
The management team will need to conduct interviews with him to assess his intentions. They will not want a bad apple in a young squad.

He only has a left foot, but it’s a good one. He will create and score but don’t expect much more. Can we afford to have him and Lawrence in the same team? I’m not sure that we can.

The same Lawrence that has the most dispossessions per 90 for a winger in the league. He works his arse off 

Archived