Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Unless there's going to be a Vydra announcement too, difficult to imagine its owt to do with us. 

Because outgoing fees instantly hit the accounts and incoming ones are effectively split over the duration of a players contract, we could use the £2m from Weimann to spend £8m on new players as long as they were on four year contracts aand still stay neutral on FFP. For players in their 20s we could also make the residual values show them as virtually cost free for the first two seasons - OK, doing stuff like that eventually comes back to haunt you.

I can, however, see the club thinking we are probably going to get a big fee for Vydra and some cash for players like Martin and Anya. So let's spend the money now so Frank can build his team. When the other players are sold we'll be in profit, and if the worse happens and we don't sell anyone else, we can still muddle through. We also have the January window to make recoup a bit of cash if things aren't quite in order for FFP.

14 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Because outgoing fees instantly hit the accounts and incoming ones are effectively split over the duration of a players contract, we could use the £2m from Weimann to spend £8m on new players as long as they were on four year contracts aand still stay neutral on FFP. For players in their 20s we could also make the residual values show them as virtually cost free for the first two seasons - OK, doing stuff like that eventually comes back to haunt you.

I can, however, see the club thinking we are probably going to get a big fee for Vydra and some cash for players like Martin and Anya. So let's spend the money now so Frank can build his team. When the other players are sold we'll be in profit, and if the worse happens and we don't sell anyone else, we can still muddle through. We also have the January window to make recoup a bit of cash if things aren't quite in order for FFP.

Exactly. Although as you say it comes back, I think part of reason we’re close to FFP limit now is we’re still paying some previous (bad) perchases 

15 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

All true depending on you having a residual value of 0 in your accounts for Weimann.

If, say, he has a RV of £2m......and we've done that to avoid recognising a FFP loss in a previous year, then as I understand it, selling him for £2m would simply offset that RV and its a net 0 to us in respect of that sale. 

40 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

All true depending on you having a residual value of 0 in your accounts for Weimann.

If, say, he has a RV of £2m......and we've done that to avoid recognising a FFP loss in a previous year, then as I understand it, selling him for £2m would simply offset that RV and its a net 0 to us in respect of that sale. 

It's a good point. I'd somewhat stupidly forgotten to include his 'book value' in my post.

Without checking back, I believe we signed him when we were still using straight amortisation.  I think his value would have been reduced by two seasons of amortisation and I'm under the impression that rvs can't go up. Assuming he cost £2m his rv must then be £1m or less. Last season we had a bit of leeway on FFP, so I doubt that they'd have inflated Weimann's value too much. My guess would be an rv in line with standard amortisation, ie, £500k.

34 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

It's a good point. I'd somewhat stupidly forgotten to include his 'book value' in my post.

Without checking back, I believe we signed him when we were still using straight amortisation.  I think his value would have been reduced by two seasons of amortisation and I'm under the impression that rvs can't go up. Assuming he cost £2m his rv must then be £1m or less. Last season we had a bit of leeway on FFP, so I doubt that they'd have inflated Weimann's value too much. My guess would be an rv in line with standard amortisation, ie, £500k.

I think from memory it was at this point Ramblur waved the white flag as i seem to remember a post that stated the player value and amortisation was only at an aggregate level as a note in the accounts.

So we'll never know, is the only true answer (albeit what you have estimated is very plausible)?

27 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Does suggest we are in for him as it’s the first time he’s responded to Derby/Marriott talk. 

It's also worth nothing he has a tendency to categorically rule clubs out who aren't interested - see us with Marcus Maddison, interesting here that he didn't do that. That being said, I think I'm reading a bit more into it than is actually implied.

Archived